Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system - Page 47

post #691 of 726

FYI -- there is a new software update for the Mirus/Invicta -- fixes a few bugs (see info below from Resonessence website.  

 

Available Now (June 2014):

 

Release 6.2.2 adds the following features:

  1. Fix an issue with some AIFF files not playing correctly.
  2. Fix possible audio glitch in USB 1.0 mode.
post #692 of 726
Thread Starter 

Thanks for that - never had issues but I will update nonetheless. 

post #693 of 726

Just read DARko's Mirus review: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/06/resonessence-labs-invicta-mirus-review/

 

Interesting stuff. But why does he have so many unopened SD cards?

post #694 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscy2000 View Post
 

Just read DARko's Mirus review: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/06/resonessence-labs-invicta-mirus-review/

 

Interesting stuff. But why does he have so many unopened SD cards?

 

Because that photo was taken *before* I started listening via the SD card slot.

post #695 of 726

do they plan to improve navigation through the music files stored on the SD card, like an iPAD App ?

 

now that SD card can hold BIG music library, it will be about time to think about this..... :D

post #696 of 726
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

do they plan to improve navigation through the music files stored on the SD card, like an iPAD App ?

 

now that SD card can hold BIG music library, it will be about time to think about this..... :D

 

 

Good question. That would require network connectivity be added to the device, so I don't see it as an option on the current hardware.

 

I have suggested that they spin off the SD card player to become a dedicated device. Adding network options would make sense in that device, should it ever become a reality. As it stands, connecting Invicta to a display via HDMI and using the remote to navigate gets the job done fairly well. 

 

For those interested, I've got a review of the Invicta Mirus coming up over at Part Time Audiophile. Should be up in the next week or two. 

post #697 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

 

Good question. That would require network connectivity be added to the device, so I don't see it as an option on the current hardware.

Or just a Bluetooth dongle plugged in the Invicta's USB port (+ new Firmware) ? :D 

post #698 of 726
Thread Starter 

For anyone interested, my review of the Invicta Mirus just posted today. HERE is the link. It's a blindingly impressive device!

post #699 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

For anyone interested, my review of the Invicta Mirus just posted today. HERE is the link. It's a blindingly impressive device!


Nice review!  I own one also and agree completely.

post #700 of 726

Ditto. Nice review. Maybe you've subtly worded it into the impression throughout the listening section but it wasn't clear to me what the sonic improvements are going from the original Invicta to the Mirus - note, I'm not referring to the technical parts of losing the ES9016/headphone amp/out and gaining a 2nd ES9018. But seeing you had both the original Invicta & Mirus side-by-side, how much more was an improvement of having a 2xDACs over just 1?

 

Also you didn't have a Hugo with you too by any chance to compare?

post #701 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

Ditto. Nice review. Maybe you've subtly worded it into the impression throughout the listening section but it wasn't clear to me what the sonic improvements are going from the original Invicta to the Mirus - note, I'm not referring to the technical parts of losing the ES9016/headphone amp/out and gaining a 2nd ES9018. But seeing you had both the original Invicta & Mirus side-by-side, how much more was an improvement of having a 2xDACs over just 1?

 

Also you didn't have a Hugo with you too by any chance to compare?

 

+1 : very very interesting review and I was happy to discover a new blog 'http://headphone.guru"

 

And... I was just wondering the same questions:  

 

- does having 2xDAC really worth loosing a wonderful built-in balanced headphone  AMP 

 

- Will it beat my HUGO by a large marging?


Edited by bmichels - 9/8/14 at 3:57pm
post #702 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

Ditto. Nice review. Maybe you've subtly worded it into the impression throughout the listening section but it wasn't clear to me what the sonic improvements are going from the original Invicta to the Mirus - note, I'm not referring to the technical parts of losing the ES9016/headphone amp/out and gaining a 2nd ES9018. But seeing you had both the original Invicta & Mirus side-by-side, how much more was an improvement of having a 2xDACs over just 1?

 

I have the same question myself since I currently own the original (1st generation) Invicta and am on the fence re upgrading to the Mirus.  I'm presently using my Invicta as a dac only, so it really boils down to the perceived differences between the ES9018 dac x2 implementation plus any PCB upgrades in the Mirus vs the original Invicta.  Also when comparing the 1st generation Invicta to the Mirus, it would be important to make sure both are using the current software and firmware updates.  We would expect that the Mirus should be better (at least on paper) but can you really hear the differences between the Mirus and original Invicta when factoring in other variables such as program source, ancillary electronics (headphone amp), headphones, etc?    If the consensus appears to be that the differences are clearly audible and significant, that would steer me more strongly towards considering the Mirus. 

post #703 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post
 

I have the same question myself since I currently own the original (1st generation) Invicta and am on the fence re upgrading to the Mirus.  I'm presently using my Invicta as a dac only, so it really boils down to the perceived differences between the ES9018 dac x2 implementation plus any PCB upgrades in the Mirus vs the original Invicta.  Also when comparing the 1st generation Invicta to the Mirus, it would be important to make sure both are using the current software and firmware updates.  We would expect that the Mirus should be better (at least on paper) but can you really hear the differences between the Mirus and original Invicta when factoring in other variables such as program source, ancillary electronics (headphone amp), headphones, etc?    If the consensus appears to be that the differences are clearly audible and significant, that would steer me more strongly towards considering the Mirus. 

 

Same here. My original Invicta feeds balanced into my Eddie Current Electra and unbalanced into my Zana Deux SE. The thing is upgrading from the original Invicta to the Mirus isn't exactly a cheap exercise.

post #704 of 726
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
 

Ditto. Nice review. Maybe you've subtly worded it into the impression throughout the listening section but it wasn't clear to me what the sonic improvements are going from the original Invicta to the Mirus - note, I'm not referring to the technical parts of losing the ES9016/headphone amp/out and gaining a 2nd ES9018. But seeing you had both the original Invicta & Mirus side-by-side, how much more was an improvement of having a 2xDACs over just 1?

 

Also you didn't have a Hugo with you too by any chance to compare?

 

 

Thanks! I figured it wasn't the appropriate place to go into too much depth about the differences, seeing as how the original Invicta is not really something available for purchase at this point. 

 

The improvements are hard to nail down to a simple "better soundstage" or "improved detail". It's more like a boost all across the board. Which is a big deal considering how good the original is. Mirus just sounds like a higher performing DAC - not so obvious with a midrange system but with noticeable with a top Stax rig or even a really good LCD-3, HD800, HE-6 setup, or a really high-end speaker-based system. I get better extension, more midrange purity, slightly better imaging.... none of them is a home run but it all adds up to a superior listening experience.

 

While I still feel the original Invicta is an excellent DAC that competes well with like-priced models from Esoteric, Meitner, etc, the Mirus is a step beyond anything else I've heard in that price range. Is there some $12k DAC out there that sound even better? Maybe, I dunno, not really interested in finding out. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

 

+1 : very very interesting review and I was happy to discover a new blog 'http://headphone.guru"

 

And... I was just wondering the same questions:  

 

- does having 2xDAC really worth loosing a wonderful built-in balanced headphone  AMP 

 

- Will it beat my HUGO by a large marging?

 

The headphone out is an important feature, and I think people should judge what they might do with it before deciding on which version to go for. If you are strapped for space, or primarily listen with speakers but want to have an excellent headphone amp just in case, the non-Mirus model is the way to go. If you are mainly a headphone guy and want simplicity, it works very well - especially in balanced mode. I could be quite happy living with just that as my only amp.

 

But if you know your proclivity for trying new stuff, and know you'll be wanting to mess with really high-end headphone amps at some point, then it makes more sense to go with the Mirus version. Lately I keep mine connected to an electrostatic amp via XLR as well as a single-ended triode tube amp via RCA, but I switch other things out as well. As good as the Invicta is in balanced mode it still can't match an Auralic Taurus or Violectric V281 for solid state grunt, and obviously won't sound like a lush tube amp either. So it really depends on your preferences and future plans.

 

And yes, I do have a Hugo here for those wondering. It's a spectacular sounding device with lots of options and some weird ergonomic issues. I'll be reviewing it at InnerFidelity soon. I love love LOVE the sound of it, and think it competes well with many of the better $2K desktop devices like Benchmark DAC 2..... but the Mirus is one of the few devices out there which I feel outperforms even the Hugo. Some people may balk at this but to me it is fairly obvious given a resolving electrostatic system.

 

Hugo performs shockingly well especially for its size, but even Hugo fans are willing to admit there will likely be an improvement when Chord eventually releases a desktop version. In my estimation the Mirus already achieves that level of performance right now. 

 

 

post #705 of 726

The Invicta may soon have a serious competitor: the Mytek Manhattan :-)

 

Similar pricing, ESS Sabre chipset (in 8 mono to 2 stereo config) and also a "strong" Headphone AMP but... also a femto clock.

 


Edited by bmichels - 9/9/14 at 4:30pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system