Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system - Page 41

post #601 of 726
I did a quick demo with the single ended amplifier output from the Invicta driving HD800's and I found bass slam quite good, but he was running very high end power conditioner and cabling, and I do not consider my own setup to be that good with bass slam. Where the Invicta amplifier seemed to be lacking was ultimate refinement: there was an uneasiness in the upper mids, maybe lack of burn in on the headphone circuit, maybe just intrinsic characteristic of the built in amplifier. Has anyone else noticed this?
post #602 of 726
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

I did a quick demo with the single ended amplifier output from the Invicta driving HD800's and I found bass slam quite good, but he was running very high end power conditioner and cabling, and I do not consider my own setup to be that good with bass slam. Where the Invicta amplifier seemed to be lacking was ultimate refinement: there was an uneasiness in the upper mids, maybe lack of burn in on the headphone circuit, maybe just intrinsic characteristic of the built in amplifier. Has anyone else noticed this?

 

I don't find a lot of flaws with the amp section as a whole, but if I have to pick one area it would be the upper mids. Like you said, it's doesn't have the same ultimate refinement as a top class dedicated amp can bring to the table. 

 

I don't know if it's really caused by the amp section or the separate ES9016 DAC dedicated to headphone use. Would be interesting to compare the original Invicta to the current revision using ES9018 in that stage. 

post #603 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

 

Hmmmm, no grain that I recall. I do have LCD-2 (the latest, in bamboo) and mostly listen in balanced mode, but sometimes SE. I'd say the BCL has more grain, but then again I don't have a super high opinion of the BCL after having heard the Matrix M-Stage sound the same for a fraction of the price. 


BCL is not "same sound " as Matrix M. it's day-and-night difference. I got the chance to audit Matrix and sounded like $hit! 

post #604 of 726

I have abandoned this thread for 1 year, and now I am back :-)

 

So, please can you update me on this aspect:  I have always been very interested with the possibility to play right out a SD card , and ... with 256 Gb cards, I have always waited for a more convenient way to manage/select files to play than the small OLED Screen.

 

--> question: has Resonessence labs come with a new interface to manage/select files to play ? something better than the small OLED Screen 

 

Something looking like an iPad/Android app ?  the HDMI Monitor is not very... portable and the interface as it is is from another age.  A SMALL  HDMI  Touch screen with a Modern interface will help if it exists and was supported !!

post #605 of 726
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vovkinson View Post


BCL is not "same sound " as Matrix M. it's day-and-night difference. I got the chance to audit Matrix and sounded like $hit! 

Ok, if you say so. Matrix uses the same design with similar or even better parts in some cases. Plus the option to roll in a better opamp, and other easily done mods. Maybe the one you heard had a poor choice of opamps? Don't be fooled by the price discrepancy alone.
post #606 of 726
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

I have abandoned this thread for 1 year, and now I am back :-)

So, please can you update me on this aspect:  I have always been very interested with the possibility to play right out a SD card , and ... with 256 Gb cards, I have always waited for a more convenient way to manage/select files to play than the small OLED Screen.

--> question: has Resonessence labs come with a new interface to manage/select files to play ? something better than the small OLED Screen 

Something looking like an iPad/Android app ?  the HDMI Monitor is not very... portable and the interface as it is is from another age.  A SMALL  HDMI  Touch screen with a Modern interface will help if it exists and was supported !!

No, that would require them to add wifi or Ethernet to connect a tablet. The closest you can get would be to use some external audio streamer - Auraliti, Shanling M3.1, etc. But that doesn't really utilize the SD card player. Hopefully Resonessence comes out with a product like that one day - I've been suggesting it.
post #607 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post


No, that would require them to add wifi or Ethernet to connect a tablet. The closest you can get would be to use some external audio streamer - Auraliti, Shanling M3.1, etc. But that doesn't really utilize the SD card player. Hopefully Resonessence comes out with a product like that one day - I've been suggesting it.

Or may be just bluetooth, or even ... using the iPhone/iPad connected to the Invicta through the USB cable, as a... wired remote control ?

post #608 of 726
Does anyone use dac With windows? Im having bluescreens when im using 24/192
post #609 of 726
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
 

Or may be just bluetooth, or even ... using the iPhone/iPad connected to the Invicta through the USB cable, as a... wired remote control ?

 

Interesting ideas.... I'm not sure Invicta could support either of those with the current hardware though. Definitely not Bluetooth. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androb View Post

Does anyone use dac With windows? Im having bluescreens when im using 24/192

 

I don't currently but have in the past without issue. Any way you have a spare laptop around, or a friend that can loan you one for a few days? 

post #610 of 726

project86,

 

FYI, I started with the matrix amp(to save a couple of hundred bucks) and ordered BCL at the same time. They looked pretty similar outside and inside, the same design but very different sound.

Not sure about op-amp recent update. It was awhile ago but  at that time the matrix sounded like crap in comparison to BCL.

The BCL is not a perfect amp either  but much better than the matrix.

 

cheers,

 

Vlad

post #611 of 726
Thread Starter 
Hmmmm, don't know what to say. I've heard from many people around here who have tried the BCL and didn't think it sounded any different from the Matrix or even the cheaper Lovely Cube versions. In fact, the M-Stage and Lovely Cube were often preferred due to the easily swappable opamps (not to mention caps and other simple upgrades).
post #612 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

I don't currently but have in the past without issue. Any way you have a spare laptop around, or a friend that can loan you one for a few days? 

I changed to 96khz instead of 192 and my pc doesn't seem to crash anymore. I guess my motherboard can't handle 192khz... ^^

post #613 of 726
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androb View Post
 

I changed to 96khz instead of 192 and my pc doesn't seem to crash anymore. I guess my motherboard can't handle 192khz... ^^

 

Ah, good idea. I didn't think of that. 

post #614 of 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Ah, good idea. I didn't think of that. 
I Were quite suprised, spent alot of money on my pc so didnt expect it to have such problems.
post #615 of 726
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androb View Post


I Were quite suprised, spent alot of money on my pc so didnt expect it to have such problems.

 

 

I'd say this highlights the differences in focus between a "high-end PC" and an audio specific setup. An expensive PC might feature really high end video card(s), tons of connectivity, gobs of RAM and storage.... but none of that really addresses audio capabilities via USB or SPDIF output. Take a more reasonable PC but add a SOtM USB card or else a standard card with SPDIF output (ESI, RMA, Digigram, MOTU) and you'll have a great transport. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system