Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system - Page 5

post #61 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post

Has anyone on this forum (or others) received or placed an order for the Invicta dac?   If anyone has actually received one, what was the turnaround time from order to delivery?  Based on the splendid review by project86, this dac indeed looks quite promising but I would be slightly "nervous" about ordering from a relatively new company with little track record to date.



Twsmith,

 

if your in the market for a new dac check out this site, the boys from Aus are really into it:http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/38534-Metrum-Otctave-Has-Arrivred-WOW/page16.

 Bhobba actually buys the equipment himself.  A very resourceful guy with the means o do so!!!

 

post #62 of 715
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecohifi View Post




Since most products eccept the Anedio D1 which uses a circuit to limit jitter, the coax S/PDIF is feed directly into the chip as it is able to accept in directly,  Alex Yeung fromm EE and Bill from Morningstar has confirmed that there mini max require a cycle off/on to reset a signal lockout that is due to jitterish and errorneous data in the coax in.  There are also other people from other sites confirming this issue that the sabre chip requires high quality signal to work unlike other BB or WM chips that require a receiver chip to convert the coax signal. Confirmation of  evidence such as this has been mounting that the sabre chip is not as immune to jitter or errorneous data as they have claim.

 

Or, I could have a faulty unit that is trgger happy to pissed me off!  A replacement is on the way!
 

 

 

Interesting stuff. Assuming it isn't just a defective unit of yours, it sounds like more of an issue with the integrated digital receiver part of the Sabre chip. I wouldn't assume it means anything about the jitter reduction capabilities of the Sabre chips, but it might be an undiscovered issue with the DIR side of things.

 

Are there any specific instances where the issue is repeatable? Or what sort of erroneous data are you sending it to make this happen? 

 

I don't recall having that issue during my month with the Invicta DAC. 
 

 

post #63 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post



 

Interesting stuff. Assuming it isn't just a defective unit of yours, it sounds like more of an issue with the integrated digital receiver part of the Sabre chip. I wouldn't assume it means anything about the jitter reduction capabilities of the Sabre chips, but it might be an undiscovered issue with the DIR side of things.

 

Are there any specific instances where the issue is repeatable? Or what sort of erroneous data are you sending it to make this happen? 

 

I don't recall having that issue during my month with the Invicta DAC. 
 

 


Very intermittent,  then began to be more common, cant test it right now cause I sent it back!!!!
 

 

post #64 of 715

Just a thought: People tend to lump all issues with digital transports and connections under the tag of "jitter" when other electrical/electronic issues may be the cause. I was discussing digital transports with a designer some time ago and the basic comment he made was to the effect that it's not just jitter that can affect things. So what you might be able to say is that the Invicta is not immune to flaws in the quality of the digital transport used. 

post #65 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Just a thought: People tend to lump all issues with digital transports and connections under the tag of "jitter" when other electrical/electronic issues may be the cause. I was discussing digital transports with a designer some time ago and the basic comment he made was to the effect that it's not just jitter that can affect things. So what you might be able to say is that the Invicta is not immune to flaws in the quality of the digital transport used. 


Yes, I agree. 'Jitter' is mostly used as a catch-all for digititus I think. In my experience the real biggie is out of band noise from mains, SMPSUs and digitally clocked stuff. That's not to say jitter doesn't have an affect too, just I don't find its so fatiguing to listen to in isolation.

 

post #66 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post

Has anyone on this forum (or others) received or placed an order for the Invicta dac?   If anyone has actually received one, what was the turnaround time from order to delivery?  Based on the splendid review by project86, this dac indeed looks quite promising but I would be slightly "nervous" about ordering from a relatively new company with little track record to date.



 

The Invicta looks like a potentially viable upgrade to the Anedio. It would be nice if they came out with a lower level model, that had a more basic feature set, without downgrading audio performance. 

post #67 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode View Post

 

The Invicta looks like a potentially viable upgrade to the Anedio. It would be nice if they came out with a lower level model, that had a more basic feature set, without downgrading audio performance. 


I have read that Resonessence is working on other products.   Since they haven't revealed yet what they actually are (something may be up on their website by October), it's hard to say whether these products will be "lower level" dacs based on the Invicta or completely different products.  I already have the Anedio D1, which is truly an outstanding dac at its price level.  I would not have given the Invicta a second glance (here we go again, another overpriced dac!) if it weren't for project86's very informative and impressive review, which especially intrigued me as a current owner of the D1.  What is leading me toward the Invicta, despite it's much higher price, are some features that I like but the Anedio doesn't (and may never) have such as the SD card slot, balanced outputs, etc.  So I see the Invicta as a true upgrade for me as compared to a parallel move to a slightly improved Anedio D1 version 2, W4S or a similar dac in this price range.  

post #68 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post




I have read that Resonessence is working on other products.   Since they haven't revealed yet what they actually are (something may be up on their website by October), it's hard to say whether these products will be "lower level" dacs based on the Invicta or completely different products.  I already have the Anedio D1, which is truly an outstanding dac at its price level.  I would not have given the Invicta a second glance (here we go again, another overpriced dac!) if it weren't for project86's very informative and impressive review, which especially intrigued me as a current owner of the D1.  What is leading me toward the Invicta, despite it's much higher price, are some features that I like but the Anedio doesn't (and may never) have such as the SD card slot, balanced outputs, etc.  So I see the Invicta as a true upgrade for me as compared to a parallel move to a slightly improved Anedio D1 version 2, W4S or a similar dac in this price range.  



 

I'm beginning to see it in a similar way.The more I've looked into it, the more a horizontal upgrade just doesn't make much sense. Otoh, a more refined sabre implementation holds promise. 

post #69 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

Interesting stuff. Assuming it isn't just a defective unit of yours, it sounds like more of an issue with the integrated digital receiver part of the Sabre chip. I wouldn't assume it means anything about the jitter reduction capabilities of the Sabre chips, but it might be an undiscovered issue with the DIR side of things.

 

Are there any specific instances where the issue is repeatable? Or what sort of erroneous data are you sending it to make this happen? 

 

I don't recall having that issue during my month with the Invicta DAC.  

 


Just thought I let you know that I received my mini max plus replacement last Thursday and report that I have no issues of signal lockout that requires a power OFF/ON cycle for it to work.  Im into 15hrs of use and everything is as per expectation .  I am also testing the Toshlink so I had to use a Sony s470 bluray.  This may confirmed that its just a faulty unit I received originally.  I dont believe I am sending jitterish and errorneous data as this is from the bluray coax direct! as the second unit has not tigger this condition nor has my original dac.

post #70 of 715
Thread Starter 


I think we'll know more once Resonessence shows all their gear at RMAF. Personally I expect a "trickle down" DAC based on Invicta but without the SD card player, possibly without the screen, etc. If they could keep all the sound but go without the "extras" for a decent reduction in price, I think that would be attractive to many potential customers. But I'm just speculating here. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecohifi View Post

Just thought I let you know that I received my mini max plus replacement last Thursday and report that I have no issues of signal lockout that requires a power OFF/ON cycle for it to work.  Im into 15hrs of use and everything is as per expectation .  I am also testing the Toshlink so I had to use a Sony s470 bluray.  This may confirmed that its just a faulty unit I received originally.  I dont believe I am sending jitterish and errorneous data as this is from the bluray coax direct! as the second unit has not tigger this condition nor has my original dac.


Well that's good to hear. 

 

post #71 of 715

I would like to share my recent experience with Resonessance Lab’s Invicta dac.

 

A couple weeks ago I finally broke down and decided to buy one these very fine dacs.  Admittedly I was heavily influenced by project86’s inspired review of this machine, even though I believe he had a pre-production unit that was still under development.   I also suspect that I may be one of the early owners of a production version of this dac.   My understanding is that in the interim, further improvements have been made on the Invicta, among which have been a significant upgrade in the headphone amp (which I will briefly discuss below).

 

My comments here are not intended to be a review in the strict sense, and will by no means be comprehensive and cover all aspects of the Invicta’s operation.  I only used two digital sources: a regular CD player via through one of the S/PDIF (BNC) inputs and the SD card player.  I did not use the USB input.  Also I only used the headphone amp with my HD800s and not the balanced or single-ended audio outputs.  All of the recordings used were either conventional CDs or AIFF files of CDs converted by iTunes and placed on SD cards.   I have not yet gotten around to downloading hi-rez files from HD Tracks, but eventually plan to do so. 

 

General comments:  I’ve now had approximately 100 hours + of “break-in” time and I can honestly say that virtually everything that project86 described in his review about the Invicta is absolutely true, and perhaps then some.   It is REALLY that good!   It’s hard to describe every detail of why I think it sounds so good, but perhaps the best thing I can say is that it makes music sound more real than any other dac I’ve owned or heard.  What particularly stood out for me was the portrayal of performers in their correct spatial positions, and this was not accompanied by any exaggerated or artificially enhanced soundstage.  This may be in large part due to this dac’s excellent ability to resolve low-level detail but I suspect it may go much beyond this.  Going along with this was an amazing sense of “air” surrounding the various performers.  Another particularly pleasing characteristic was that all frequencies of the sound spectrum had a “just right” balance, with no under- or overemphasis apparent.  In no way did the music seem strident, bassy or unbalanced.  Dynamic range was outstanding.  The overall presentation was immensely enjoyable and completely non-fatiguing, and this was true even of recordings of somewhat lesser quality, but obviously the dac's best qualities are brought out by the highest quality source material.   In some ways this is all the more remarkable since my listening so far has been with only 16/44 recordings. 

 

Comments on the headphone amp:   The amp’s power output has apparently been increased in the production units, and I believe a few other modifications (changing the output impedance, etc) were also made.  A few early comments suggested that with some hard-to-drive headphones, the amp may have been underpowered to a small degree.   However, using my HD800s, which have an impedance of about 300 ohms and are not the easiest headphone to drive, I feel that the Invicta’s amp handles these as well as could be expected.   I really don’t listen to music at head-banging levels, but given the Invicta’s ability to reveal the true dynamic range in a good recording, I felt that the amp has plenty of headroom to handle virtually every type of music played at comfortable (and ear-responsible) levels with high level transients and even more sustained high level passages showing no distortion or compression whatsoever.   To be honest, I really love the Invicta’s headphone amp, and I now favor it by a wide margin over some fairly expensive separate headphone amps that I have.   For me, this validates my original intent to have an all-in-one dac/amp combo of the highest quality that is not a compromise between one or the other.  The dac/amp combination that came closest to the Invicta in this regard was the Anedio D1, but I think the Invicta is superior, and not by a small margin either. 

 

Comments on the SD card input: This feature really intrigued me since I always disliked the idea of using external sources like CD players and also I didn’t want to fool with connecting a computer via USB to a dac.   Resonessance actually points out in their FAQs page some theoretical advantages of using the SD card reader over the USB (and presumably S/PDIF) inputs – not  being an engineer, I can’t comment on the related technical issues although from a practical point, I could see how the SD card system by eliminating problems common to external sources (jitter, clocking, etc) might be an improvement.  My experience using SD cards proved to be very enlightening and actually quite addictive, and it is now my preferred way of listening to the Invicta.   It is very easy to transfer songs to an SD card via iTunes or from other computer files.  The only thing you need to watch is not to create sub-directories since the Invicta’s card reader doesn’t recognize them (and be sure your files are encoded in AIFF or WAV).  Actually I wish it did read subdirectories (maybe this is in the works) since it would be nice to jump quickly to album folders and then play just the contents of a particular folder, rather than having to scroll through a large number of individual songs.   I’ve sort of dealt with this situation by using smaller SD cards (e.g. 4 or 8 GB) that are easier to scroll through.   This actually works just fine for me.   So, do SD cards really sound better than other sources? – having used both the S/PDIF input from a CD player and SD cards playing AIFF files of the same CD, I now feel there is a subtle but real difference, with the SD card coming out on top.   However I must point out that the S/PDIF feed from my CD player was excellent too!  

 

My “bottom line”:  I believe that the Invicta is clearly an outstanding dac in every sense of the word.  To reiterate what project86 said in his review, I too would not hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for a state-of-the-art dac.  Yes, I agree that it is pricey, and there are excellent dacs that may approach – perhaps very closely - the Invicta in sound quality at less cost.  But again, for me, one of the main reasons I bought this dac (aside from its sound quality) were the features – I now have what I consider to be the best single-box digital playback system I’ve ever experienced, and I believe if you are looking for something that can achieve this particular goal, then you should put the Invicta very high on your short list, especially if cost is no object.

post #72 of 715

Where does the GSX fit in?

post #73 of 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post

I would like to share my recent experience with Resonessance Lab’s Invicta dac.

 

A couple weeks ago I finally broke down and decided to buy one these very fine dacs.  Admittedly I was heavily influenced by project86’s inspired review of this machine, even though I believe he had a pre-production unit that was still under development.   I also suspect that I may be one of the early owners of a production version of this dac.   My understanding is that in the interim, further improvements have been made on the Invicta, among which have been a significant upgrade in the headphone amp (which I will briefly discuss below).

 

My comments here are not intended to be a review in the strict sense, and will by no means be comprehensive and cover all aspects of the Invicta’s operation.  I only used two digital sources: a regular CD player via through one of the S/PDIF (BNC) inputs and the SD card player.  I did not use the USB input.  Also I only used the headphone amp with my HD800s and not the balanced or single-ended audio outputs.  All of the recordings used were either conventional CDs or AIFF files of CDs converted by iTunes and placed on SD cards.   I have not yet gotten around to downloading hi-rez files from HD Tracks, but eventually plan to do so. 

 

General comments:  I’ve now had approximately 100 hours + of “break-in” time and I can honestly say that virtually everything that project86 described in his review about the Invicta is absolutely true, and perhaps then some.   It is REALLY that good!   It’s hard to describe every detail of why I think it sounds so good, but perhaps the best thing I can say is that it makes music sound more real than any other dac I’ve owned or heard.  What particularly stood out for me was the portrayal of performers in their correct spatial positions, and this was not accompanied by any exaggerated or artificially enhanced soundstage.  This may be in large part due to this dac’s excellent ability to resolve low-level detail but I suspect it may go much beyond this.  Going along with this was an amazing sense of “air” surrounding the various performers.  Another particularly pleasing characteristic was that all frequencies of the sound spectrum had a “just right” balance, with no under- or overemphasis apparent.  In no way did the music seem strident, bassy or unbalanced.  Dynamic range was outstanding.  The overall presentation was immensely enjoyable and completely non-fatiguing, and this was true even of recordings of somewhat lesser quality, but obviously the dac's best qualities are brought out by the highest quality source material.   In some ways this is all the more remarkable since my listening so far has been with only 16/44 recordings. 

 

Comments on the headphone amp:   The amp’s power output has apparently been increased in the production units, and I believe a few other modifications (changing the output impedance, etc) were also made.  A few early comments suggested that with some hard-to-drive headphones, the amp may have been underpowered to a small degree.   However, using my HD800s, which have an impedance of about 300 ohms and are not the easiest headphone to drive, I feel that the Invicta’s amp handles these as well as could be expected.   I really don’t listen to music at head-banging levels, but given the Invicta’s ability to reveal the true dynamic range in a good recording, I felt that the amp has plenty of headroom to handle virtually every type of music played at comfortable (and ear-responsible) levels with high level transients and even more sustained high level passages showing no distortion or compression whatsoever.   To be honest, I really love the Invicta’s headphone amp, and I now favor it by a wide margin over some fairly expensive separate headphone amps that I have.   For me, this validates my original intent to have an all-in-one dac/amp combo of the highest quality that is not a compromise between one or the other.  The dac/amp combination that came closest to the Invicta in this regard was the Anedio D1, but I think the Invicta is superior, and not by a small margin either. 

 

Comments on the SD card input: This feature really intrigued me since I always disliked the idea of using external sources like CD players and also I didn’t want to fool with connecting a computer via USB to a dac.   Resonessance actually points out in their FAQs page some theoretical advantages of using the SD card reader over the USB (and presumably S/PDIF) inputs – not  being an engineer, I can’t comment on the related technical issues although from a practical point, I could see how the SD card system by eliminating problems common to external sources (jitter, clocking, etc) might be an improvement.  My experience using SD cards proved to be very enlightening and actually quite addictive, and it is now my preferred way of listening to the Invicta.   It is very easy to transfer songs to an SD card via iTunes or from other computer files.  The only thing you need to watch is not to create sub-directories since the Invicta’s card reader doesn’t recognize them (and be sure your files are encoded in AIFF or WAV).  Actually I wish it did read subdirectories (maybe this is in the works) since it would be nice to jump quickly to album folders and then play just the contents of a particular folder, rather than having to scroll through a large number of individual songs.   I’ve sort of dealt with this situation by using smaller SD cards (e.g. 4 or 8 GB) that are easier to scroll through.   This actually works just fine for me.   So, do SD cards really sound better than other sources? – having used both the S/PDIF input from a CD player and SD cards playing AIFF files of the same CD, I now feel there is a subtle but real difference, with the SD card coming out on top.   However I must point out that the S/PDIF feed from my CD player was excellent too!  

 

My “bottom line”:  I believe that the Invicta is clearly an outstanding dac in every sense of the word.  To reiterate what project86 said in his review, I too would not hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for a state-of-the-art dac.  Yes, I agree that it is pricey, and there are excellent dacs that may approach – perhaps very closely - the Invicta in sound quality at less cost.  But again, for me, one of the main reasons I bought this dac (aside from its sound quality) were the features – I now have what I consider to be the best single-box digital playback system I’ve ever experienced, and I believe if you are looking for something that can achieve this particular goal, then you should put the Invicta very high on your short list, especially if cost is no object.


twsmith,

 

excellent write up in sharing your experience that back up Project 86 findings.  The only difference is that you own it.  I can see the benefit of the SD card.  Still I have to say for the money they could have used a better opamp than the AD797.

 

post #74 of 715
Thread Starter 

Thanks for posting your impressions! It sounds like they did everything they intended to do regarding the little tweaks and upgrades in various areas, chiefly the headphone amp. Can you say ultimate bedside rig? 

post #75 of 715

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecohifi View Post


twsmith,

 

excellent write up in sharing your experience that back up Project 86 findings.  The only difference is that you own it.  I can see the benefit of the SD card.  Still I have to say for the money they could have used a better opamp than the AD797.

 


Thanks for your comments.  I'll defer to you and others who have more expertise in the technical aspects of the Invicta's design re the AD797 opamp.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Thanks for posting your impressions! It sounds like they did everything they intended to do regarding the little tweaks and upgrades in various areas, chiefly the headphone amp. Can you say ultimate bedside rig? 


Thanks for your comments.   I was actually asked by Mark Mallinson to comment on my impression of the headphone amp.  This was sort of hard to do, having not heard the original version.   But for me, and using one specific headphone (HD800s), it seems to be an outstanding amp.   My most recent comparison amp-wise would be the Anedio D1, which I now feel is not as good as the Invicta (although not bad either).   I have my Invicta on a very tight bookshelf space in my office, but I agree that the bedroom would also be an excellent place for it.      
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Review: Resonessence Labs Invicta - new high end DAC/amp/playback system