Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550 - Page 28

post #406 of 541

I owned a pair of TF10 for 3 years.

Love the detail and shining treble, but really like the voices be more forward.

After some audition (that's the good in Taiwan! one retailer even has a WALL full of IEMs for audition lol), a pair of MDR-7550 is in my bag now ;)

 

As for the myth between EX800st and MDR7550... the shop I bought this actually has both for audition.

For me, their looks are identical (except the model number of course), and the cables are identical tool.

However, the EX800st sounded emphasized more on lower bass than the MDR-7550 for me.

So, at least for my audition, these two sounded different to me.

I liked the 7550 more than 800st, and 7550 is cheaper (~210 USD) than 800 (~280 USD) here, so 7550 is my choice.

 

7550 is much more balanced than the CD900st (yeah the retailer has it for audition too).

The latter emphasized on the mid, great for voices but the background is too recessed for me to enjoy.

 

IMHO ;)

post #407 of 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I would say the human voice is more prominent with the 7550 because the human voice is found in the midrange.

I personally would only use the hybrid tips or a softer tip with this IEM.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

 



lol :P

 

What I said above may sound weird but what I was trying to say for the Triple fi 10 is that the "voice" kinda sounds "far"... not too "far" but it sure is just "present".

 

And I just remembered that Triple Fi 10 doesn't even have a dedicated mid range driver ... just 2-low and 1-hi balanced armature drivers.  The low is tuned high enough and the hi is tuned low enough to create a mid range.

post #408 of 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescchen View Post

I owned a pair of TF10 for 3 years.

Love the detail and shining treble, but really like the voices be more forward.

After some audition (that's the good in Taiwan! one retailer even has a WALL full of IEMs for audition lol), a pair of MDR-7550 is in my bag now ;)

 

As for the myth between EX800st and MDR7550... the shop I bought this actually has both for audition.

For me, their looks are identical (except the model number of course), and the cables are identical tool.

However, the EX800st sounded emphasized more on lower bass than the MDR-7550 for me.

So, at least for my audition, these two sounded different to me.

I liked the 7550 more than 800st, and 7550 is cheaper (~210 USD) than 800 (~280 USD) here, so 7550 is my choice.

 

7550 is much more balanced than the CD900st (yeah the retailer has it for audition too).

The latter emphasized on the mid, great for voices but the background is too recessed for me to enjoy.

 

IMHO ;)

 

Good info on your impressions regarding Triple fi 10s... I still have TF-10s that I bought in 2009 and to me they're like the refined and vice-free Sony MDR V6/7506 full sized headphones that I can use on portable sources.

 

I really want the EX 800 / 7550 real bad and I want it now.  I'm even contemplating selling my TF-10 just so I can acquire one of Sony's best gems (as in pro-grade ear/head-phones made, tuned and delivered in an anonymous white box by Sony Music.  I'm also ok with the blue-boxed 7550 but I hear they got discontinued)
 


Edited by TheBoss - 6/10/13 at 10:29am
post #409 of 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescchen View Post

I owned a pair of TF10 for 3 years.

Love the detail and shining treble, but really like the voices be more forward.

After some audition (that's the good in Taiwan! one retailer even has a WALL full of IEMs for audition lol), a pair of MDR-7550 is in my bag now ;)

 

As for the myth between EX800st and MDR7550... the shop I bought this actually has both for audition.

For me, their looks are identical (except the model number of course), and the cables are identical tool.

However, the EX800st sounded emphasized more on lower bass than the MDR-7550 for me.

So, at least for my audition, these two sounded different to me.

I liked the 7550 more than 800st, and 7550 is cheaper (~210 USD) than 800 (~280 USD) here, so 7550 is my choice.

 

7550 is much more balanced than the CD900st (yeah the retailer has it for audition too).

The latter emphasized on the mid, great for voices but the background is too recessed for me to enjoy.

 

IMHO ;)

Any good IEM retailers in Taiwan especially in Taipei to recommend? I want to try out some IEMs while I'm there


Edited by fnkcow - 6/16/13 at 3:43am
post #410 of 541

Any comparisons between the 7550 and the Hifiman RE-400?

post #411 of 541
.

Edited by rimisrandma - 7/30/13 at 5:54pm
post #412 of 541

Does the MDR 7550 professional packaging come with a service manual... just like the MDR 7506?

 

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/so-much-gear-so-little-time/29488d1168927855-sony-mdr-7506-vs-sennheiser-hd280-untitled-1.jpg

post #413 of 541

Mine did not.

post #414 of 541

Alright. I'm getting the MDR7550 used for around $120 today. You guys can expect a full review on them in about a week or two.

post #415 of 541
I posted this in another thread. I want some input from those who own ex800st/7550+TF10 or made a switch from tf10 to ex800st/7550 ksc75smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post

Hello.

I've owned the TF10 for 4 years.....

But now i think i fell for the new crop of Sony IEM professional series such as the MDR EX800st and MDR 7550 (dynamic IEMs) after reading the reviews , and i'm seriously thinking about trading in my TF10 just so i can acquire one of the sonys i mentioned.

I want rugged studio grade/quality IEMs… but do i have a lot to lose if i pursuit this?
post #416 of 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post

I posted this in another thread. I want some input from those who own ex800st/7550+TF10 or made a switch from tf10 to ex800st/7550 ksc75smile.gif

So you want a comparison between those two?

post #417 of 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

So you want a comparison between those two?


sure.

im not ure if your TF10 is stock but mine has westone cable and sony hybrid tips
post #418 of 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post


sure.

im not ure if your TF10 is stock but mine has westone cable and sony hybrid tips

OK. Take this with a grain of salt as I don't own a triple fi. I just had a chance to borrow them for about 30mins.

 

Overall sound sig:

TF10: V Shaped and fun.

7550: Slightly more vocals than tf10. Less bass and treble compared to tf10.

 

Soundstage:

Both are very wide. I feel like 7550 is deeper though.

 

Comfort:

7550 is better by a mile. It fits so lightly that you can barely feel them.

 

Isolation:

Do I even have to mention this? 7550 is a open iem, meaning they isolate as much as open back headphones(maybe tiny bit more). TF10 isolates far more.

 

Clarity:

Pretty close. TF10 might be slightly more clear.

 

Note on bass:

7550 has very deep and well controlled bass, as expected of a dynamic driver. I personally think 7550's bass is better than TF10's bass.

post #419 of 541

BTW, how do you pull out the cable on 7550? I'm having some issue disconnecting the connectors.

post #420 of 541
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550