I wonder if our friends in HK knows any shop that sells the MDR-7550 for less than USD260? (Hoping that B&H will bring back their $259.99 price tag). TIA
Recent Images In This Thread
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR EX600tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony Mdr-Ex700Lp Earbud Style Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Earphones For Sansa Clip+? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Considering selling entire home rig for a cheap portable IEM (Maybe custom?) Last post on 7/1/12 at 7:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- $200-$300 IEMs? Last post on 7/10/12 at 2:04am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 7/3/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
I was provided a review sample and appreciate the generosity and opportunity to listen and review the Brainwavz S5. I've owned many Brainwavz earphones ranging from the Beta through the B2...
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550 - Page 2post #16 of 5416/24/11 at 6:59am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 5416/24/11 at 8:00ampost #18 of 5416/24/11 at 11:34ampost #19 of 5416/25/11 at 7:16ampost #20 of 5416/25/11 at 7:45ampost #21 of 5416/26/11 at 8:41ampost #22 of 5416/26/11 at 10:52am
I seriously doubt Sony 'raised' its prices. Usually Sony can't raise their prices any higher than they already do. I think interest spiked and some software probably let B&H see what they were going for everywhere else. They'll just put the blame on the manufacturer who I'm sure is charging everyone else the same amount.post #23 of 5416/26/11 at 10:55ampost #24 of 5416/26/11 at 11:11amQuote:Originally Posted by Anaxilus
I seriously doubt Sony 'raised' its prices. Usually Sony can't raise their prices any higher than they already do. I think interest spiked and some software probably let B&H see what they were going for everywhere else. They'll just put the blame on the manufacturer who I'm sure is charging everyone else the same amount.
Full Compass and others raised the price at the same time as well. In this economy that is kinda strange. They would only raise it if Sony did. Senn did that with the MX880. $69 down to $49 real quick as usual, then back up. Sony and Senn prices never go back up unless they force it for some reason. B&H are selling OB for $115. They started it at $150 and dropped it to the $114.95 really quick. I think the interest is not good and they dropped their prices too much/too fast for Sony's liking.post #25 of 5416/26/11 at 11:32am
So why was everyone else selling them for $299? My experience seems to indicate software is used to monitor inventory versus demand versus competition. I know they use the software even at Pacific Sales to monitor appliance prices up to the minute between internet vendors and brick and mortars. You'll see the Sony prices drop again because it has nothing to do w/ the manufacturer. Just basic economics and computer software.
I've seen Sony, Senn, AT and everyone else have their prices go up and down on Amazon all the time. The only big name that doesn't fluctuate I've seen is Grado. Grado is tighter than a virgin strapped down by a Masterlock.post #26 of 5416/26/11 at 12:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by cliffroyroycole
I never used the EX1000 or EX600 outside, so I can't comment on those two re wind noise, but some who have used the EX1000s did complain about wind noise. My main point is that if you are contemplating these or the other Sonys to use as outdoor IEMs with any regularity, they may not be the best choice. And it's got nothing to do with seal/fit, but with the small holes that each models has, and which is typical for dynamics.
It's the same on the others, maybe a tad less on the EX600 than the EX1000, but I haven't tried both at the same time. I believe it's got less to do with the vent holes per se, but with Sony's stupid design that makes the IEMs stand further out from your ears than necessary and catch more wind than others. The FX700 have larger vents and aren't nearly as prone to wind noise as the Sonys.post #27 of 5416/26/11 at 10:32pm
Maybe coz it's a new site? :PQuote:post #28 of 5416/27/11 at 6:34amThread Starter
Mobile impression #2: on an airplane. I'm on an MD80 flying to TX today and in the exit row right over the wing. The 7550s continue to impress sonically and are more of what I've always wanted out of an IEM, which is something closer to what I hear on studio monitors. The instruments sound like instruments (not that they don't elsewhere, but if you're a musician, it's should make sense lol).
As far as noise isolation and reduction, the NC300D is still the winner here. Sony's noise cancelling really does a good job at getting most of the engine noise taken care of. That said, the 7550s are still pretty good here, and better than other IEMs I've owned and used on planes like the ER4. However, when it comes to sound quality, the 7550 takes the gold medal over the NC300D. Like I've said, I like the NC300D and it's not bad, but it's a much less natural sound, and the more I listen/compare, "flat" - not as in EQ, but less 3D (if you will). I feel like the sound is definitely more closed in and boxy compared to the 7550. The 7550 has much better natural bass extension without sounding goosed.
I still find the NC300D a bit more comfortable overall, but the cable management of the 7550 trumps the NC300D. Even in its case, the NC300D was still a bit of a tangled mess this AM, whereas the NC300D had no issues. I like the fact Sony put a little slider thing to close up the slack on the cable.
The wind issue will never be a problem for me as I never use my portable setup outside. It's always in some indoor space, including planes and trains.
Despite its "worse" handling of things like engine noise, I think the 7550s are going to stay in the travel arsenal. The NC300Ds may just be retired.
Edited by FenderP - 6/27/11 at 6:35ampost #29 of 5416/27/11 at 10:54amQuote:
Are you saying the 7550's are more isolating on planes than the ER4? If you are, I can't possibly believe that. There would have to be something wrong w/ your fit on the Etys. The ER4 is simply the best isolating universal period. Many can come close but still. None of the Sony's I've tried are close to being isolation kings.
Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread 15 seconds ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 28 seconds ago
- › Ranking of 21 DACs and DAC Configurations (and why chocolate ice... 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 1 minute ago
- › T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid introduction / impressions -... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Suggestion for Sub 80 euro Over Ear Headphones for Rock Genre 1 minute ago
- › Speaker upgrade recommendation for FL and FR surround components. 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)