I already put the DBAs on for sale :P
Recent Images In This Thread
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR EX600tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony Mdr-Ex700Lp Earbud Style Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Earphones For Sansa Clip+? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Considering selling entire home rig for a cheap portable IEM (Maybe custom?) Last post on 7/1/12 at 7:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- $200-$300 IEMs? Last post on 7/10/12 at 2:04am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
AK Audio Super Dolphin 6BASticking a Dolphin in your ears! DisclaimerThe Super Dolphin 6BA is a loaner unit provided in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion. I have tried my best to...
This is an excellent pair of headphones, sound is very clear, and the looks are impressive. I am disappointed with the padding, hurts to wear in less then 15 minutes. Pads can be replaced though....
I've had mine for almost 5 years, still breathing and still sounds great! I've had mine short circuit for two times because and fixed it, still sounds the same. So far this is the best for me and I...
When these went on sale at massdrop I thought I was going to put one over on the man and get some really good audiophile grade headphones for $100, sadly that's not what I got when the package...
This little DAC punches way way way above its weight. I fell deep into the audiophile hole about a month ago, waiting for our 2nd son to be born. If I could be so bold, I went through a...
Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550 - Page 9post #121 of 6317/14/11 at 7:47pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #122 of 6317/14/11 at 10:27pmpost #123 of 6317/14/11 at 10:52pmQuote:
And DBA/B2s. I wonder if I can get them on Klipschs.post #124 of 6317/14/11 at 11:09pmpost #125 of 6317/15/11 at 12:07am
In theory yes. If done right w/ the right tools. You're scaring me I have to say. You would be better off asking the lab if they could match the bores.post #126 of 6317/15/11 at 12:10ampost #127 of 6317/15/11 at 1:46am
You made the right choice. If I still had my DBA-02, between my EX800STs and DBA-02, I would have sold off the latter as well. (as the sound signature of EX800ST tends to be more in my favour)
Also, is it just a pure concidence that I'm finding ex and current owners of FA DBA-02, who have finally moved on to the EX800ST/MDR-7550 and liking these as well? I would rather think not, as what they usually say great minds do think alike. ^ ^
So far I have only spent about 15-20 hours with my pair even though I already had my for slightly over a week (the first 5 being dedicated to burning them in), but only really sat down and listened with them over last weekend. Am gonna do more listening with them over this weekend for sure, but out of the box even w/o much burn-in period, these are already pretty favourable to my ears in terms of the sound, and I'm happy to say I don't have any of those wearing fit issues some had previously reported in the other EX600/EX1000 threads. (thought in terms of isolation, of course they pale in comparison to my ATH-CK100s probably due to their vented holes)
Edited by Haonan - 7/15/11 at 1:48ampost #128 of 6317/15/11 at 3:28am
^If I were collecting IEMs, I think I will not sell the DBAs. It's really a great BA IEM for monitoring - as per LFF's review. I just want to enjoy my music more hence the sale. Let other local person enjoy the DBA, it's availability has really gone down.post #129 of 6317/15/11 at 3:51am
My MDR-7550s are here. Will do some (serious) listening tonight, but after 15 mins with them, I can say these do not disappoint! No fit issues whatsoever. The distance between the Y split and housings is 15cm (6 in) longer on both EX1000 & EX600 - I prefer the EX800/MDR7550 cable in that respect, where the Y split is still a good 10cm (4 in) away from my chin. Here are some pics:
Edited by music_4321 - 7/15/11 at 5:07ampost #130 of 6317/15/11 at 5:40ampost #131 of 6317/15/11 at 9:31am
Eagerly awaiting your reflections.
Quote:Originally Posted by music_4321
My MDR-7550s are here. Will do some (serious) listening tonight, but after 15 mins with them, I can say these do not disappoint! No fit issues whatsoever. The distance between the Y split and housings is 15cm (6 in) longer on both EX1000 & EX600 - I prefer the EX800/MDR7550 cable in that respect, where the Y split is still a good 10cm (4 in) away from my chin. Here are some pics:post #132 of 6317/15/11 at 10:45am
Just ordered jumped on the Sony MDR bandwagon! Can't wait to hear the 7550! I know I probably should have gotten the EX600 first, but I almost always prefer a more neutral iem. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!post #133 of 6317/15/11 at 11:38am
I think you made the right choice. I can tell you right now, though, I prefer the 7550s over the EX600s, specially because I already have the EX1000s (which I don't intend to sell), which share the EX600's sound sig (though improved on the former).
Right now I'm just enjoying the 7550s and getting a sense of their great sound presentation. I just can't do some critical listening just yet - have had a rather busy day and now I'm just trying to unwind. I will say, however, that not only do they not disappoint, but they have some attributes I value quite a bit. After 5 hrs' burn-in and 1 hour listening to them, these really, really are EXCELLENT IEMs.
Edited by music_4321 - 7/15/11 at 11:40ampost #134 of 6317/15/11 at 2:27pmEX1000, MDR-7550/EX800 & EX600 comparisons.NOTE: I've not had my EX1000s for just over 2 weeks, but I do have my EX600s, which, to me, offer approx 90% of the sound of the EX1000s.In a nutshell: If I could only have one IEM, custom or otherwise, the MDR-7550 / EX800ST would be it -- I still need to confirm this when I get my EX1000s back next week, but I think my memory at this stage is pretty reliable. The 7550s bridge the gap between my ES3X & EX1000s, ie the 7550s get closer to both. I still need to A/B the 7550s against my ES3Xs, but I know my ES3Xs pretty well, that's why I'm making such a bold statement.I've stated before that, to me, the mid-range is the most critical frequency and the hardest to get right - the 7550s have the best mids I've heard to date, perhaps only my ES3X can compete there, but not sure they'll actually outdo the 7550's mids, to be perfectly honest. I really like the EX1000's mids, but, for the most part, have always preferred my ES3X's mids. So, will I be selling my EX1000s? Not quite.I'm extremely fortunate to be able to afford - at least for the time being - to keep all three (ES3Xs, EX1000s & MDR-7550s). With (not so bright) good recordings, and ALL orchestral music I've heard, the EX1000 remains the best IEM I've heard. The ES3X with some piano and (mostly) solo violin pieces, they do better than the EX1000s. On brighter sounding recordings (not necessarily bad ones), my ES3X also have the edge over the EX1000s. That's why I decided to keep both IEMs - quite different sound sigs, both pretty strong in their own right.The MDR-7550 is the best of both worlds - at times it won't be as good as my ES3Xs or my EX1000s, but will surpass both if the particular recording in question does not 'belong' to the other two IEMs. The 7550s are possibly the most truly neutral IEMs I've heard, more so than the W4s & EX1000s, or at least they have a more convincing, realistic neutrality. I was really very curious to hear the 7550s and, for the most part, they've delivered the sound I expected them to, but they were even a little better than I expected.-- The 7550s are more sensitive, ie they're easier to drive than both EX1000 & EX600 - not a big difference but noticeable enough if one pays attention (definitely not subtle)-- Mids -- FANTASTIC! - I frankly did not expect them to be just this good. Just the right balance and proper real presence, not (overly) forward and/or thick, nor slightly recessed - just bloody PERFECT!!-- Bass extension on the 7550s is excellent, but I do think the EX1000s have the edge with even slightly better extension & definition. Bass does go deep, though, on the 7550s and there's no mid-bass hump, thank God.-- Treble is smoother than on both EX1000/EX600, but it's done so right that it's not rolled off or recessed AT ALL. Upper mids/lower treble on the EX1000s & EX600s make them possibly (seem) more revealing, but not necessarily more extended, but definitely better than the W4's high-end (from memory).-- Soundstage, surprisingly, on the 7550s is not as 'constricted' as I feared. The EX1000s is wider, with more depth, but not by much, or at least to these ears, and that was a VERY pleasant surprise. I have to say that I've often - not always - disagreed on how people seem to hear or describe soundstage - I feel there's plenty of exaggeration. I often hear mentioned things such as 'being in the studio', 'playing on stage with other musicians', 'seating on the front row', '10,20 rows from the stage', 'outdoor/indoor', 'small club', 'arena', 'large concert hall', and so on. Now, much like how I've described one phone being better sounding with certain types of recordings and/or masterings, when it comes to soundstage, I often find it is also dependent on type of recording/mastering. These differences can be quite significant at times - Pink Floyd's The Wall being a good example of such difference; that, and how our brains often tend to create a specific type of soundstage. That said, the EX1000's soundstage is simply unmatched, IMO, but the 7550's isn't all that different/bad - absolutely remarkable for such a neutral, monitor-type of phone.Other observations:The MDR-7550 cable is labelled RK-EX800, so I guess that's further proof the MDR-7550 (sold in America & Europe) is indeed the MDR-EX800ST sold in Japan and other Asian countries.I presonally prefer the longer 63 in (1.6m) cable and the shorter distance [6 in (15cm)] from the Y-split to the housings on the 7550s. However, I prefer the longer ear guides on the EX1000/EX600 cable, the shorter ones on the 7550s are absolutely fine, though.The 7550 case is much smaller and much more practical than the EX1000/EX600's leather case, but it doesn't protect the IEMs as well as the EX cases. I personally use a 1010 Pelican case for both EX phones.Fit, comfort & isolation is pretty much the same with all 3 IEMs.
Edited by music_4321 - 7/16/11 at 2:15ampost #135 of 6317/15/11 at 4:36pm
@music, thanks so much for that review and I hope it doesn't change once you get your EX1000 back :D Your review 'confirms' that I made the right decision to go for the 7550 [the mids!]. Thanks for those who helped one way or another. head-fi rocks. EX-men rock some more! :DReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Altmann Tera-Player - Thread 12 seconds ago
- › Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9) 21 seconds ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 53 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser introduces the GSP 350 4 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › New - Cowon Plenue S 7 minutes ago
- › Wtb: idsd micro/alo dual mono or other transportable dac/amp for... 12 minutes ago
- › Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all... 13 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 14 minutes ago
- › Ie800 14 minutes ago
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by reikoshea
- › Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC by Rish732
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by Rish732
- › FiiO A1 Micro Headphone Amplifier by chef8489
- › Over Ear Headphones，Mixcder ShareMe Pro Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo HiFi... by B9Scrambler
- › DIGNIS LAETUS case for Chord Electronics Mojo by HiFiChris
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by cleg
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...