Touchdown in 1week's time :D
Recent Images In This Thread
- productEtymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSennheiser IE 8 In-Ear Headphonestagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR EX1000tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony MDR EX600tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSony Mdr-Ex700Lp Earbud Style Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 7/27/11
- productSpider "realvoice" Vertical in the Ear Headphonetagged by System, 6/23/11
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser IE8 replacements - opinions wanted! Last post on 7/25/12 at 8:45am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Earphones For Sansa Clip+? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:13pm in Portable Source Gear
- Considering selling entire home rig for a cheap portable IEM (Maybe custom?) Last post on 7/1/12 at 7:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- $200-$300 IEMs? Last post on 7/10/12 at 2:04am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
Hifiman MegaMini Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Hifiman and Campfire Audio Vega Hifiman MegaMini...
Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550 - Page 8post #106 of 6337/11/11 at 4:56pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #107 of 6337/13/11 at 8:54am
Owners of EX600/7550/1000, what about isolation. which one is the worst in the aspect? I am asking because I don't need isolation. I already own the ex600 but I'm thinking about ex7550 as it seems it isolates less...post #108 of 6337/13/11 at 9:15am
Quote:Originally Posted by cliffroyroycole
So yesterday the UPS man delivered a pair of ER4PTs from Amazon, an open box special. I was curious to hear the 4Ps compared to the MDR-7550s. At first, when I listened to the Etys via the Zune HD headphone out, no amp, I thought they were pretty close to what I was hearing with the 7550s (using the triple flange tips on the Etys). I owned the 4Ps a long time ago, but decided to try them again at the reduced price ($166). So far, so good. I listened to a couple of tunes, some with bass emphasis, another acoustic.
All I can say is for me, the 7550s are a better version of the ER4P. Both are detail monsters, no surprise there. But the added warmth (in a good way) and the bass response on the Sonys just really blew away the Etys. I don't mean to say the Etys are bad, not at all. Later, when I attached an amp (Leckerton UHA-4) to both, the Etys benefited more and closed the gap a bit. Even so, the Sonys were the clear-cut favorites to me. Less analytical, more musical. I guess this won't surprise anyone. The Etys still are preferred for outdoor use due to the Sony wind noise issue. And I may even keep the Etys, not sure, since they seem like something everyone should own (not even sure why. Because they have existed for so long, successfully? Because I got them at a very good price?).
I just had the Brainwavz B2s, and returned them. To me, they were very good, but not good enough, even with the lower price tag, to unseat the 7550s as my favorite universal IEM. Same with the Etys, though for some reason I may have a harder time letting go of the Etys (for one thing, they cost about the same as the B2s, but seem much sturdier and have Ety custom service behind them).
I think I am going to wait for the ZO V2 to come out in the fall and see how that works with the Etys, since that piece of gear is getting almost universal praise. It seems like the perfect piece of gear to complement the Etys, which like the Sonys, I would use mainly for home listening.
After the comparison, I also listened to the JH5 customs I own, and they still blow me away, and are preferred to the Sonys and, by extension, the Etys.
Small thing. I recently bought some Comply Ts200 foam tips (got the 25 percent Comply July 4 sale) to use with the UE500vi on occasion. On a lark, I tried them with the 7550s, and to me, they are more satisfying than the hybrids. Yes, insertion is more of a hassle, but since I use them at home, not an issue. I recommend the Complys for any Sony EX600/1000 or 7550 owners, unless of course you hate foamies.
I also recommend for ER4P fans to try the 7550s if you can, though I see the 7550s are $299 everywhere now, not the $259 I was lucky enough to pay a couple of weeks back.Interesting post.The ER4P and Atrios are two IEMs I've 'always' wanted to try, though I've always been more drawn to the Etys as they've been considered a reference IEM for many years. If I haven't pulled the trigger yet, it's because triple flanges and deep insertion (except with my customs) are things I find pretty uncomfortable. Also, I've often come across posts saying the ER4Ps are rather bass-light. I've also read people stating the Etys improve with an amp, but I don't like portable amps. In addition, the ER4Ps are (much) more expensive in Europe. Nevertheless, no doubt one day I will try them.In the meantime, I'm expecting my 7550s to get here tomorrow or Friday.BTW, thanks for the Complys heads up - unfortunately, I'm one of those who doesn't get along with Comply/foam tips. At least I'm glad they've never provided the best SQ for me with all IEMs I've tried so far, otherwise I'd be quite frustrated knowing there are some tips that can improve SQ but that, in my case, I find pretty uncomfortable. My wallet also thinks it's a good idea I don't like Comply/foam tips.post #109 of 6337/13/11 at 9:17ampost #110 of 6337/13/11 at 11:51ampost #111 of 6337/13/11 at 12:08pmQuote:
Definitely watch out. There have been mixed results with various 75ohm adapters out there. Another reason I didn't want to deal with it. I've always been against adding splices in my chain too when possible. Old habit.post #112 of 6337/13/11 at 2:48pmpost #113 of 6337/13/11 at 3:16pmpost #114 of 6337/13/11 at 4:37pm
do you have problems in the EX700 EX600 and EX1000 , especially imroved treble , so I am very curious corrected sibilant sound harsh , I do not want to live a new disappoinment , thank you.
I'm sorry for bad englishpost #115 of 6337/13/11 at 10:06pmpost #116 of 6337/14/11 at 1:59am
The eagle has landed!
On one side of the dogears :D
[Coming from the DBA-02... Straight from the box... Using the stock tips... Plugged on my Nokia N82]
Played Green Day's American Idiot and Breaking Benjamin's Saturate - these sounds more balanced (the bass!) and less forward on the treble... I'm liking it :)
[Break-in starts...]post #117 of 6337/14/11 at 2:30ampost #118 of 6337/14/11 at 2:44ampost #119 of 6337/14/11 at 2:55ampost #120 of 6337/14/11 at 12:29pm
^ I seem to recall you used custom tips with your W4s (UM56) and I think those fit the Etys. Are you using the UM56s with your ER4Ps? That would probably improve their SQ somehow, though I've no idea how much.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Quick Impression: Sony MDR-7550
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 1 second ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 12 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 47 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 "surround"? 52 seconds ago
- › LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Rate the video games you're currently playing 4 minutes ago
- › Expatinjapan review thread index 4 minutes ago
- › MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd... 5 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by ExpatinJapan
- › JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sport Earbuds, GUARANTEED... by red71rum
- › Chord MoJo by snellemin
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Frank I
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by UncleGamer
- › HyperX Cloud Revolver Multi-platform E-Sports Gaming Wire Headset... by UncleGamer
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by HiFiChris
- › Vibro Labs Sera triple armature in-ear monitors by sq3rjick
- › Meze 12 Classics by Mightygrey
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by glassmonkey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear