Listening to Remain in Light right now, the new 96/24 remaster, and have to say these things kick ass. I am not ready to say the blow away the LCD-2, but man are they fantastic. Can't wait to hear your set...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCowon S9 8 GB Video MP3 Player with Touchscreen (Titanium Black)tagged by System, 8/10/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/22/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 6/22/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/22/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/22/11
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- [REVIEW] HD598 Long Term Assestment. 600+ hours Last post on 9/5/11 at 1:00pm in Headphones (full-size)
- What Song Sounds Worst On Your Best Headphones? Last post on 8/3/11 at 3:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Do you use headphones to listen to your music or music to listen to your headphones? Last post on 7/18/11 at 8:44am in Headphones (full-size)
- Starter's headphone map Last post on 7/10/11 at 7:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Qualifying sound impressions... Last post on 6/22/11 at 10:52am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all of...
UP with the Encasement of Sound! When I heard the Shanling UP, I was perplexed. I had read many a comment espousing the virtues of the Audioquest Dragonfly Black (DFB), and especially the Red...
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
[REVIEW] Fostex T50RP, it's been needing a Review - Page 7post #91 of 1109/15/11 at 10:39pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #92 of 1109/15/11 at 10:51pm
Just let me know when you will be in town...
There is a local guy who also wants to listen them soon.post #93 of 1109/16/11 at 10:10am
Can anyone answer my question? Does anyone know?
Quote:post #94 of 1109/16/11 at 10:31am
I've not had an issue, but on the ear side, you should be sure to leave the super-fine screen that is under the black felt in place when the felt is removed. Also, many of the ear pad upgrades like the Shure or Stax pads have a nice loose black fabric that provides an additional layer of protection.post #95 of 1109/16/11 at 10:40am
Quote:Originally Posted by mrspeakers
I've not had an issue, but on the ear side, you should be sure to leave the super-fine screen that is under the black felt in place when the felt is removed. Also, many of the ear pad upgrades like the Shure or Stax pads have a nice loose black fabric that provides an additional layer of protection.
Thank you!post #96 of 11010/12/11 at 10:12am
I am a junior Head Fi guy and just starting out. Have a pair of Grado SR-60i's. I want to know would the T50RP give me something different than my Grado's? Or are the sound signatures similar?
I only have a pair of SR-60i's and I want to expand my headphones lineup but don't want too much of overlaps.post #97 of 11010/12/11 at 11:28ampost #98 of 11010/12/11 at 11:49am
Indeed. Even in its stock form, the T50RP will be a different beast than the SR-60i.
post #99 of 11010/12/11 at 11:55ampost #100 of 11010/24/11 at 1:34am
I'm about ready to buy a pair of these. Thanks for the review. I will definitely enjoy modding these in the future. I'll probably use some Gepco wire on them since I had such a great experience with that wire with my Koss Portapro 25ths.post #101 of 11011/10/11 at 7:21am
I just received my pair of T50's and I have to say reading the OP's thoughts made me laugh because they were very similar mine. I am relatively new to this whole thing but have been enjoying mobile audio for a year now and have tried a number or IEM's including RE0's, DBA-02's, HF5's, and EX600 and have been really enjoying checking out different phones and the ability to enjoy high quality music during times of the day that it would not be appropiate to be blasting music . A few weeks ago I decided I wanted to check out a pair of cans and in doing my research I decided to try the T50's. Lat night I got home and the box from B&H was sitting there so I quickly dug into it and plugged them into my iphone4>JDS CMOY and turned them on and at first I was like Huh.....these do not compare to my EX600's or my HF5's for that matter. A little dejected I plugged them into the home stereo and let them play for an hour or so till me went to bed and up in bed I tried them again and they had gotten noticeably better but still not what I would call great. I listened for an hour or so and I was starting to appreciate them some more but then it was time to go to sleep so I plugged them into the stereo to let them play over night. I am working from home to day and just plugged them into my Ipad2 with the JDS CMOY and these things are pretty darn impressive. I am amazed at the sound stage and how instruments sound like they are coming from different elevations and depths....I am liking these a lot, the whole sound signature fits me well and I am surprised at the amount of bass, well maybe not the amount but the impact.
I have to say I was worried how the CMOY would run these but there is a night and day difference between running them straight out of the idevice and using the AMP. I am sure they could use more power and I am ordering a Maverick Tubemagic A1 to use as both a headphone AMP and a small speaker AMP so I am sure they will be even better when run with some real power but the CMOY is cutting it right now. I find a comfortable listening level to be about 45% of volume travel where as I use about 25% for my IEMS.
All good here.
Jimpost #102 of 11011/15/11 at 11:43pmpost #103 of 1109/4/13 at 8:39pm
I'm just going to put that out there, I've been fascinated by the Fostex T50RP's for a number of reasons
1) They're orthodynamics
2) Apparently they are fast and natural mid-ranged headphones
3) They're cheap
As a student, a $150 headphone is quite pricey. I even spent months researching on the first headphone that would cost me over $200. Yes there are people like me who exist that don't want to take apart their headphones. However I really want to buy the T50RP's, but I DON'T want to take them apart like some of the hardcore modders I've seen around here.
The Fostex for me to buy is around $130, I don't mind spending another $50 for the Alpha pads if it really does improve the sound quality.
post #104 of 1104/14/14 at 3:30pm
I bought myself a pair of T50RPs a few weeks ago and tried running them direct from the headphone-out of my HRT Microstreamer - not a success. The sound could only really be called mediocre. Bass can be brought up by crushing the cans hard against the head to improve the seal round the ears but the midband was lumpy and could not be called good by any measure. HF quality was poor and notably lacking in detail - percussion instruments had no character and there was no silkiness on strings. The biggest negative was a tendency to sound clipped on female voice and piano - as though the Microstreamer was unable to supply the required drive.
Connecting the Microstreamer into my valve amp's headphone output gave a fuller sound but the clipping of high voice and piano was no better. The sound still had to be called muddled with hard brass rasp but no joined-up picture of the brass instrument and still very poor HF character.
Unpluging the T50s from the headphone socket switches the amp's output back to a pair of Stax SR Gammas connected with an SRD-6/SB transformer driver. To be blunt the Stax's simply leave the Fostex cans for dead - no voice or piano clipping and a clear connection between instruments and their overtones - HF is discernibly real with things like cymbals shimmering and real. Snare drum sounds are filled with character and hard percussive events like rimshots are detailed with all the correct rattles and snicks plainly part of a single event.
So here's the question. Why has no one tried modifying T50s to true open back running? The driver definitely doesn't like being enclosed in a cheap, microphonic plastic canister and, if the diaphragm is doing as it's told by the signal, the cans ought to sound reasonably in the Electrostatic league.
I'm going to modify mine with very solid baffles, good sealing between driver and baffle and big comfy ear cushions and a wide open rear protected by wire mesh - will report back.
Ed Formpost #105 of 1104/14/14 at 3:39pm
One other addition to my brief Stax v T50 post - bass detail and slam on the Stax is from another planet altogether - I'm listening to the track 'Ride me Like a Wave' on Janis Ian's 'Breaking Silence' album and the Fostex cans have nothing that can be called bass detail or slam - a great disappointment.
- [REVIEW] Fostex T50RP, it's been needing a Review
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 31 seconds ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 36 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 46 seconds ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 50 seconds ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 3 minutes ago
- › Objectivists board room 4 minutes ago
- › The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW,... 4 minutes ago
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear