Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Can I get better than 320kbps sound quality?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I get better than 320kbps sound quality? - Page 3

post #31 of 134

Sounds like a bunch of stuff I rather not worry myself over.  In the end it ultimately comes down to perceived differences through the ears on blind testing.  For those who can make out small differences, it might be worth it.  For those who can't tell much a difference, it's probably not worth it.  Gaining further pre-concieved knowledge before you listen for differences leads to more possibility for placebo to come into play, sorry to say.

post #32 of 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

In the end it ultimately comes down to perceived differences through the ears on blind testing.

OP I honestly cant tell the difference between 320kbps tracks, 1411kbps tracks and some 5000kbps tracks I have from HDtracks and some people can. Different equipment, different ears, different brains. I think you have to decide for yourself.

post #33 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by HynchSidrick View Post

Anyone who thinks there is no difference is either partially deaf or not a serious audiophile :)
Well thank God for that.


EDIT: @HesterDW Ooops. Sorry dude. Fixed now.
Edited by theeyealtering - 6/20/11 at 7:14pm
post #34 of 134

I never said that nor do I agree with that statement. tongue_smile.gif

post #35 of 134

No - it was this one (previous page)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HynchSidrick View Post

Of course, the difference between flac and mp3 320 is noticeable. Flac sounds better,has more dynamic range extension,volume is louder and smoother, etc. Anyone who thinks there is no difference is either partially deaf or not a serious audiophile :)


Guess that means I'm either deaf, or not a serious audiophile.  That's Ok - I'm totally fine with that.  But I have ABX'd, and I don't notice a difference, and I'm happy in my ignorance wink_face.gif

post #36 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by HynchSidrick View Post

Of course, the difference between flac and mp3 320 is noticeable. Flac sounds better,has more dynamic range extension,volume is louder and smoother, etc. Anyone who thinks there is no difference is either partially deaf or not a serious audiophile :)



If being a serious audiophile means sitting alone in a smelly basement A/Bing different compression rates and trying as hard as you can to hear a difference as if your life depended on it, then yes you are right. 

post #37 of 134
How do you get more dynamic range or volume with 16 bit / 44.1 kHz PCM (compressed to FLAC or otherwise) compared to mp3 or your lossy format of choice? Um...? Really?
post #38 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post





If being a serious audiophile means sitting alone in a smelly basement A/Bing different compression rates and trying as hard as you can to hear a difference as if your life depended on it, then yes you are right. 


Your logic is flawed. What i said was just to compare mp3 320 vs flac. This includes the right sources,right headphones, right cables, right files, right interconnects, etc. It doesn't mean you have to sit alone in a smelly basement. Heck I can do it anywhere and still tell if its mp3 or flac. And fyi A/Bing different compression rates isn't hard at all to do since my ears are very seasoned and picky. Its sort of like a reflex that you can immediately distinguish 320 from flac. Enough said 

 

post #39 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by HynchSidrick View Post

Its sort of like a reflex that you can immediately distinguish 320 from flac.
Hmmm, I definitely know what you are saying. I have that same sensation, but with other things. For example, my eyes are very seasoned too, thus I can immediately distinguish when someone on the internet is talking crap.
post #40 of 134

I could tell between 128 and 320 (there was a thread based around that a while back) but between 320 and ALAC? I have a few albums on my iPod as ALAC 1200kbps roughly and I don't hear a difference. Most of my music was obtained through itunes at 256 before I ever found this website. I would suggest, like others here have done, getting FLAC for future purchases but don't kill yourself trying to replace your music library with FLAC and ALAC.

post #41 of 134

Another solution would be converting. The mp3 will sound like flac after converting

post #42 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by HynchSidrick View Post

Another solution would be converting. The mp3 will sound like flac after converting


?

 

post #43 of 134

Converting FLAC to mp3 320kbps makes the mp3 320kbps sounds more or less indentical to the FLAC you originally converted from

post #44 of 134

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HynchSidrick View Post

Converting FLAC to mp3 320kbps makes the mp3 320kbps sounds more or less indentical to the FLAC you originally converted from

I assume this doesn't help if the files were *originally* 320 kbps. I think this is the case with the OP.
 

 

post #45 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhyper View Post

 

I assume this doesn't help if the files were *originally* 320 kbps. I think this is the case with the OP.
 

 



Yes your right but he uses beats pro. No use getting flac. The gear wont suffice :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Can I get better than 320kbps sound quality?