New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

do iem,s burn in? - Page 2

post #16 of 98

Cables don't need to be burned in, I'll agree with that one...  Their conductivity levels will remain, actually, a new cable (brand new) is better than a really old one since everything eventually begins to decay (but it's not an audible difference).  They have no moving parts (unlike drivers, Armatures and Dynamics alike). 

 

That is the main argument for driver burn in, they have moving parts, and right off a production line, nothing is ready to go 100%, they have to be "broken in" (like a new pair of shoes) so the diaphragm, and other moving parts have time to be more "active".  Because I've actually heard this happen first hand after getting my ADDIEMs replaced (new sound -> used sound; back to new sound -> old sound) with no changing of anything (like tips, seals, etc; making it a controlled experiment), I believe in burn-in.  You don't have to, I'm not going to make you believe in it, it's insane to do that. 

 

The main arguments against it are placebo effects, change in seal, and getting used to the sound.  The reason why this argument won't get anywhere is because both sides need to be able to be tested, the placebo effect can't be tested at all.

 

Even with all that, what's the point of arguing...  If you burn in a pair of headphones before you review, it won't change the sound if you don't believe (so it won't skew review results) and it will have it's final signature if you do believe (so it won't skew the results either). 

 

Does burning in work?  Does it matter?

 

@OP, burn them in (it doesn't hurt to do it) and see for yourself, does the sound change?  See for yourself, as no one can force you to believe in burn in, no one can make you not believe in it either.  It's one of those things you have to find out on your own.


Edited by tinyman392 - 6/21/11 at 3:35pm
post #17 of 98

Personally I was heading towards burn-in as a myth until I bought the Sennheiser IE8. Now after comparing a brand-new pair recently bought by a buddy to my getting close to 2 year old set (2000hrs+ of use), Burn-in is a reality to me. The sound difference is night and day.

post #18 of 98


 

 

Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post

I put a silver cable made by Chris_himself here on Head-fi.  It is a ripper cable and awesome value.  I paid more than twice as much for cables before and this one sounds way better.  It improved the mid range details and top end brightness and also added faster attack on percussion.  And all for $60.  Some silver cables sound harsh at first but this one sounded great straight out of the bag.



Just came across this in another thread.

 

This really hurts!

"improved...details and top end brightness...added faster attack on percussions." How is this scientifically even possible?

On top of that he seems to be totally happy about having paid "only" $60! Buyer's remorse? Look elsewhere! It sounded great out of the bag? Not harsh like others first? Can't be true, can it?

 

This is real-life satire at it's best. Priceless!

post #19 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbay View Post
People talk about believes but don't understand that audio equipment is not about believes, it's about science.
 
 
 


Can everything be explained via science?. Personally I don't think so.

 

post #20 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithBadIntent View Post

Personally I was heading towards burn-in as a myth until I bought the Sennheiser IE8. Now after comparing a brand-new pair recently bought by a buddy to my getting close to 2 year old set (2000hrs+ of use), Burn-in is a reality to me. The sound difference is night and day.



That proofs that the sound of those two Sennheiser IE8 differs from one another. That's all. ;)

The frequency response is pretty much always slightly different. 

post #21 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithBadIntent View Post




Can everything be explained via science?. Personally I don't think so.

 



In electronics? Most likely yes! It's a pretty sophisticated field actually.

The it's not explored/ discovered kinda argument doesn't work here. The ears are the hyper sensiblest human organ thingy neither!

Audio equipment is not quite rocket science. ;)

 

 

 
 

Edited by Chrisbay - 6/21/11 at 4:19pm
post #22 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbay View Post

That proofs that the sound of those two Sennheiser IE8 differs from one another. That's all. ;)
 


And how is that different from burn-in?.


Edited by WithBadIntent - 6/21/11 at 4:20pm
post #23 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithBadIntent View Post




And how is that different from burn-in?.



Burn-in: The same actual headphone sounds differently after x amount of hrs (people often describe vast changes in sound signature).

 

Your example: Two different headphones (same brand and model) differ from one another.

 

 
 
 

Edited by Chrisbay - 6/21/11 at 4:28pm
post #24 of 98

Fine. Whatever

post #25 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithBadIntent View Post

Fine. Whatever



You're welcome.

 

Just trying to help.

post #26 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffroyroycole View Post

Relax, enjoy life.  You are one of the smart ones, right?

 

You say you could care less about people spending money, but it seems you care more than you are willing to admit. Not sure why, though. I suppose everything you have ever purchased in life has been worth every penny you paid. That being the case, you are in a very exclusive club.

I do, no worries. 

 

The smart ones give in - the fools rule. 

 

And leaving a comment here and there shouldn't be frowned at while those who "believe" are apparently at liberty to say as they please including the wildest fairytales about scientific impossibilities.

That's all I gotta say. Closed. ;)

 

ps: Mmmh, unfortunately I don't belong to that exclusive club you mentioned.

 
 
 
 
 

Edited by Chrisbay - 6/21/11 at 5:29pm
post #27 of 98

I've owned over 20 IEM and headphones so far and I can tell you burn-in does change the sound. It's not a placebo effect(well, it can exaggerate the change)

 

 

I used to sell MTPC and MTPG and I have done various comparison to a new pair and a burned-in pair, there is a difference. I can tell you this, I've never heard a difference(burn-in) with BA(balanced armature, what your SE425 uses) drivers.

post #28 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSC549 View Post

I've owned over 20 IEM and headphones so far and I can tell you burn-in does change the sound. It's not a placebo effect(well, it can exaggerate the change)

 

 

I used to sell MTPC and MTPG and I have done various comparison to a new pair and a burned-in pair, there is a difference. I can tell you this, I've never heard a difference(burn-in) with BA(balanced armature, what your SE425 uses) drivers.


With burn in, BA drivers tend to have smaller differences, but they are there if you listen.

 

post #29 of 98

Interesting quote from he 2nd link in my earlier post in this thread if you missed it.

 

 

Quote:

Lastly, I want to remind people of two things:

  1. The magnitude of the changes observed are very small. If the features seen are evidence of break-in, the effect is small. When you buy a pair of headphones and listen to them right out of the box, that's going to be pretty much what they sound like after a year.
  2. Check out "World Access for the Blind." This is an organization that teaches blind people how to echolocate their way through the world by clicking their tongue and listening for the echo. When they hear the return echo from their environment they can get a "picture" of the physical objects around them, and can navigate using it. These blind folks are riding bikes and playing basketball completely unsighted. I'm pretty sure this almost magical ability is indicative of the extraordinarily exquisite sensitivity and processing power of the human senses and brain. Just because the measured data of headphone break-in may be vanishingly small does not mean it can't be sensed.

 

post #30 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post




With burn in, BA drivers tend to have smaller differences, but they are there if you listen.

 



I've only owned 2 BA IEMs, DBA-02 and TF10. The difference is so small, I perceived it as placebo. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: