i have shure se425,s im not complainng mind you, just curious if sound changes with burn in with iems or is the sound out of the box the sound they have? thanks
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - No affiliate links permitted! Last post on Today at 2:22 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Any classical musicians or regular classical concertgoers here using IEMs? Last post on 12/4/12 at 11:50pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- new in-ear Last post on 10/16/12 at 5:51pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Recomendations $300AUD Universal IEMs Last post on 9/29/12 at 1:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- C5 or Gratitude? Looking for IEM around $200 Last post on 9/26/12 at 4:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationEdited on 5/7/10
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesEdited on 3/22/12
I used this amp mainly with a pair of HD 650 and it does what it is supposed to do: it has way more power than I need, it's quiet and it makes everything sound in its place. I have never heard...
I bought these headphones just for the fun of it, to see how they sound with all that apparently amazing bass. Well, for $50, they're ok sounding for extra bass headphones. They do have a...
Bought it some time ago, based on user reviews. Straight out of the box it seemed huge, especially compared to my old Cowon D2. Also, sound was awful. Granted, I don't have large hi-fi cans, only...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube video review of the ATH-CKN70. If you like the video, check out my channel for more reviews :) Summary BUILD The...
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
do iem,s burn in?post #1 of 876/18/11 at 7:11pmThread Starterpost #2 of 876/18/11 at 7:16pm
This is a delicate topic. Some will tell you it's your ears adjusting to the new sound or the adjustment to the correct seal. While others will tell you the story about burn-in.
I do believe in burn in (tested it first hand with 2 pairs of headphones). So they should change within their first 100-200 hours of use.post #3 of 876/21/11 at 12:18ampost #4 of 876/21/11 at 4:55am
To answer your question correctly:
No, the sound doesn't change. Burn-in is a myth among the hifi-community.
Ever heard of a headphone that sounded "worse" after burn-in? Exactly!
It's just another thing that keeps an audiophile busy and restless as there is always something to improve. Everything revolves rather around the gear than the music. In fact it's pretty much only about the gear which needs to be swapped frequently as well.
It is an audiophiles dream that even a well engineered headphone can be improved just by letting it play. Even better with certain frequencies or white, pink or whatever noise, preferably from special burn-in CDs.
Save yourself some time and money and just ignore false claims such as burn-in.post #5 of 876/21/11 at 5:04ampost #6 of 876/21/11 at 6:07ampost #7 of 876/21/11 at 7:28ampost #8 of 876/21/11 at 7:41am
LOL. I find some speakers that I like, almost unlistenable when new. I have compared new to well run. They're easy to hear blind and eventually become the same with play. Those that don't hear differences are often enveloped in a self fulfilling prophesy where they buy unrevealing kit based on specs and bias and end up with something that can't show the differences they are sure aren't there. Some things do break in more than others with many BAs being quite subtle to neglegable but others noticable so take with a grain and don't worry about it. Just don't return something you buy until you give it a fair shake.
Edited by goodvibes - 6/21/11 at 7:43ampost #9 of 876/21/11 at 7:42ampost #10 of 876/21/11 at 7:53am
Draw your own conclusion, but I like this quote:Quote:It should be mentioned that, while proponents of break-in bear the burden of proof for their claims, opponents are equally without proof for their theories and counter-claims. And simply saying "we need more evidence" can be used by some to stonewall. It's not a compelling intellectual position.post #11 of 876/21/11 at 8:41am
I can see dynamic based speakers changing just due to their design and the materials used, It's very simple physics, Take Glass, Glass looks the same all the time, But it's changing all the time Glass never Sets, Because it stays a liquid, Just because we don't see or hear it doesn't mean it's not there, Dave Rat did a Burn in Test on many pairs of headphones, His conclusion was Burning in Helps but the slight improvement he observed from the Burn in logically was not worth the Effort to let them play for the 5 days.
His Video can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yeAquRyJiw
Unsure about BA drivers i would have thought after afew hours of use the moving parts would loosen up, Just Dynamic speakers use alot of cloth type fibre Rings over the voice coil which stretch and move to make the sound and then the clone which is made normally from cardboard or plastic, Or resin covered woven material, Which would Co inside with what Dave Rat see's that the Volume goes up slightly by itself as the speaker loosens up and the Lows, Meds, Highs line up alittle more which is what you call Burn in, Do they change?, Yes. Can you tell?, Most likely No.
Nat.post #12 of 876/21/11 at 10:07ampost #13 of 876/21/11 at 10:20am
It's the same stuff over and over again... Some say we hear a change, then others say it's a placebo effect, change in seals, etc. What's not to say it's a placebo effect if you don't hear a change? LOL. Think what you want of it. I believe in burn in, and have had a pair of headphones get slightly worse with burn in, then get better (Brainwavz M3).post #14 of 876/21/11 at 12:13pm
Yep, but since there is some kinda censorship going on on this board which deleted just recently my posts about burn-in, aftermarket cables etc. while other head-fiers talk about their aftermarket cables burning-in and that they sounded so much better after 250hrs of burn-in as freely as they like, I recon it's good to speak some sense (instead of continuously promoting this non.-sense). Otherwise it is just ridiculous!
In the world of professional audio equipment I've never, ever heard of people talking about burn-in or aftermarket cables!post #15 of 876/21/11 at 3:16pm
So be it. Live and let live.
And yes, I couldn't care less if somebody wants to spend $250 on an in-ear aftermarket cable.
The one who's asking the price is not the fool. ;)
What I find rather annoying is that people keep on literally promoting this stuff and I stumble over them threads over and over again.
"The stock cable doesn't show the real potential of this pair of cans. You better get the $250 whatever silver cable and let it burn-in for at least 500hrs. Benefits: better bottom end, more detailed, pulled curtain and whatnot.
Wait until you hear the $500 cable after 1000hrs! You wanna change your system because the cable is so revealing that all your gear sounds rubbish!"
Stupid engineers they don't even get that right, don't you think!?
People really buy into this. And companies are not ashamed to tell you the wildest stories. Why would they as long as people buy it.
I probably can't take it anymore.
Just image how much better a recording would sound if they would just let the cables burn in before they start the sessions. Especially the new ones. Do they need to be burned in equally? Darn!
You can't be serious. How about a cable needs to be replaced during the recordings. OMG!
You're talking about existence and value which are rather two different things in my book.
But if something doesn't exist (e.g. sound difference between $5 XLR cable and $1000 Kimber XLR cable), hence doesn't improve anything (soundwise), if your goal is to improve the sound quality, it has no value!
People talk about believes but don't understand that audio equipment is not about believes, it's about science.
As long as it is connected to believes and feelings, which is because it reproduces music, which is one of the most moving art forms, hifi people tend to project these feelings onto their gear. It's harder to relate emotionally to mathematics, right!?Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- do iem,s burn in?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › Surprise TDK EB-750: $6.99 of BETTER AWESOME...w/Special guest TDK... 30 seconds ago
- › Fostex HP-P1 + Qusps Twisted Cable LOD $400 HUGE PRICE DROP! 43 seconds ago
- › Is there an audible difference between HD and CD quality? 47 seconds ago
- › My DT990 looks different than most. Can someone explain? 1 minute ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - a review in progress with updated impressions on... 1 minute ago
- › Do audio technica m50's jack fit the griffin survivor iPod 4th gen... 1 minute ago
- › The JVC HA-S500.. Appreciation, fan thread. 2 minutes ago
- › What's the ATH-M50 of IEMs? 2 minutes ago
- › Final Audio Design Appreciation/Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Considering removal of DACMagic from system and using XONAR STX in... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Valhalla by Rem0o
- › Sony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphones by derbigpr
- › Colorfly Pocket Hi-fi C4 by yxmees
- › audio-technica Premium Compact Inner Ear Headphones ATH-CKN70 Black... by a_recording
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe