Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Tablets to external USB DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tablets to external USB DAC - Page 2

post #16 of 42

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392310

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1392380


Edited by DanBa - 1/12/12 at 1:30am
post #17 of 42
Thread Starter 

Been so long since the last time I took a glance at this thread,

anyway...

I've ended up using iPad for the tablet (yeah i know...), reason is I got it used for a real cheap deal from my colleague who seek for upgrade. I can also play my FLACs with some 3rd party apps.

Only filled 45GB out of 64GB available for music only.

Got the CCK out to my USBDAC and there it goes...

Another bonus, it really helps me to do quick internet browsing also... So, yeah good deal it is.

 

 

So to keep up to the latest info (regardless to those guys debating around about ROM and FW, which I found somewhat OOT...)

will ICS enable the audio stream via USB host connection for android device?

Lately, I've been looking for a chance to try an Android based device, maybe as a mobile phone...

 

Well, if ICS does enable the audio stream,

I think it will be another additional reason for me to jump into Android world.


Edited by -su - 1/12/12 at 1:38am
post #18 of 42


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post


I am not posting BS.  I am a software engineer who has actually compiled Android.  The USB audio drivers are in the Android kernel, which is a modified Linux kernel.  They are not in the firmware, unless the manufacturer of a particular device stores their Linux boot partition in the firmware.  Firmware is EEPROM.


 

EEP ROM - how difficult is it to understand that in the Android community everyone calls it ROM?

 

You may be right or wrong - some say NTFS on Android requires a specific kernel and still my GTab can read it with the help of a piece of software.

 

I am not going to argue, just saying that this has already been done on one of tablets - nook if I remember correctly.

post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by -su View Post

....

 

So to keep up to the latest info (regardless to those guys debating around about ROM and FW, which I found somewhat OOT...)

will ICS enable the audio stream via USB host connection for android device?

Lately, I've been looking for a chance to try an Android based device, maybe as a mobile phone...

 

Well, if ICS does enable the audio stream,

I think it will be another additional reason for me to jump into Android world.

 

I will be trying it in the next couple of weeks, so I will report back.  I'm planning to order either a Asus Transformer refurb or an Onda Vi40 tomorrow or so.  The Vi40 comes with ICS and the Transformer has an ICS update.

 

I would love to get an Android tablet working with my iBasso D10, which is what led me to this thread.

 

(Also, sorry for starting the off-topic discussion.)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadzik View Post

 

EEP ROM - how difficult is it to understand that in the Android community everyone calls it ROM?

 

You may be right or wrong - some say NTFS on Android requires a specific kernel and still my GTab can read it with the help of a piece of software.

 

I am not going to argue, just saying that this has already been done on one of tablets - nook if I remember correctly.


You don't have to believe me.  The links that DanBa posted explain how the whole layout works.  You can also go to source.android.com and download the kconfig file for the kernel, and you'll see that the USB audio drivers are an optional kernel module.  I can post the actual code fragment from that file from my other computer - I have an Android build environment already set up.  But we're really arguing semantics, and at some point that falls under the category of "thread crapping".

 

As a really short aside, NTFS uses a system called "FUSE" which allows loading a filesystem kernel module in userspace.  Here's the Wikipedia page on it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace

 

 


Edited by barleyguy - 1/12/12 at 9:09am
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by -su View Post

Been so long since the last time I took a glance at this thread,

anyway...

I've ended up using iPad for the tablet (yeah i know...), reason is I got it used for a real cheap deal from my colleague who seek for upgrade. I can also play my FLACs with some 3rd party apps.

Only filled 45GB out of 64GB available for music only.

Got the CCK out to my USBDAC and there it goes...

Another bonus, it really helps me to do quick internet browsing also... So, yeah good deal it is.

 

 

So to keep up to the latest info (regardless to those guys debating around about ROM and FW, which I found somewhat OOT...)

will ICS enable the audio stream via USB host connection for android device?

Lately, I've been looking for a chance to try an Android based device, maybe as a mobile phone...

 

Well, if ICS does enable the audio stream,

I think it will be another additional reason for me to jump into Android world.



Thank You for the update -su. I am also searching for a Non-Apple tablet to connect to external DAC (USB or S/PDIF or Optical).

 

ICS audio stream is still not confirmed.

 

 

 

post #21 of 42

There are currently at least four Android tablets with the feature USB audio enabled:

 

. B&N Nook Colour with a modded Android kernel

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1459892

 

. WitsTech A81G with a slightly modded Android kernel

http://android.modaco.com/topic/343858-external-usb-devices/page__st__20

 

. Ainol Novo 7 Advanced Allwinner with a modded Android kernel

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=22280857#post22280857

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/29289-usb-audio-cards-support-drivers-and-libs/

 

. Archos G9 with an official Android kernel

http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/archos_101g9/index.html?country=us&lang=en

http://www.jbmm.fr/2012/01/utiliser-le-dac-fiio-e17-avec-son-archos/

http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/changes_firmware_archos_android_gen9.htm

 

 

 

There is an official request to Google, and therefore to Android smartphone/tablet manufacturers, to enable USB audio: like a USB mass storage device, a USB keyboard or a USB mouse, a USB DAC should be a standard USB device able to connect to an Android smartphone/tablet.

 

The official USB audio request is currently ranked 26 of 17969.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24614&sort=-stars&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

 

In fact, it is ranked in top 3 of less than one year old requests.

 

Vote: Click on the star

 

Thank you for your votes!

post #22 of 42
Thread Starter 

I've already voted and added comment there.

Thanks for your info, DanBa... wink.gif

 

*fingercrossed

post #23 of 42

Thank you for the information DanBa!!

 

I was going to buy the new Ainol Novo8 + a HDMI to S/PDIF converter for $40, but I will wait to see how the Android USB_CLASS_AUDIO issue is developed before buying anything.

post #24 of 42

From someone living in Indonesia, Apple products here are considered to be "more expensive and exclusive". Back to the topic, I have seen several tablets with USB port such as Acer Iconia and a Fujitsu Table my dad recently bought. Now that they have USB port, the only matter is the OS they are running which is Android based, when a software to get Digital Audio out is released (or has it?) then they can be tested if they run with external DAC

post #25 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rianchaos View Post

From someone living in Indonesia, Apple products here are considered to be "more expensive and exclusive". Back to the topic, I have seen several tablets with USB port such as Acer Iconia and a Fujitsu Table my dad recently bought. Now that they have USB port, the only matter is the OS they are running which is Android based, when a software to get Digital Audio out is released (or has it?) then they can be tested if they run with external DAC



Hai rian,

 

You should refer to DanBa post then...

Stated there that ICS currently doesn't have USB digital audio streaming as a default built-in feature (though it is available on several tablets having modded kernel inside),

so on the official request link some people concerned about this streaming thing are gathering votes and comments, hoping Google will notice how big the community with this need has grown and thus includes the feature on next ICS update. 

post #26 of 42

popcorn.gif

post #27 of 42

Just installed Spotify on my HP Touchpad, now I just need USB Audio for my E10 and life would be good. smile_phones.gif

post #28 of 42
Hai su, yea I failed to read the latest posts biggrin.gif forgive me for that.

Now that I have a Fujitsu tablet lying around, I will try to experiment with it.
post #29 of 42
non inclusion of usb audio support is literally the only thing holding me back from getting a tablet. I'm going to wait untill it comes on ics 4 and is fully tried and tested as working.

Shouldn't be too long of a wait should it???
post #30 of 42

barlyguy, you'd make a lot of people extremely happy if you released apps or kernals that implemented USB audio drivers into a number of phone and tablet models.  You could make some money too.  I'd pay a good chunk of cash to get that functionality on my phone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Tablets to external USB DAC