Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Basshead's buyers guide!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Basshead's buyers guide! - Page 7  

post #91 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Try using a Cowon mp3 player with the Ultrasone HFI 580. I can't imagine wanting more bass from the BBE


BBE? Do you mean the MachBass?

 

post #92 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 


Exactly, it doesn't have a volume control, and you feed it from HO, not LO, that should say enough in itself that you won't get a clean sound signature from it, and it will be dependant on the source you are using.

 

I'm not a fan of the Cowon sound, so I feel fairly confident I'm not interested in something that will only slightly trump the Cowon, when I didn't like it in the first place, subjective or not, that should make perfect sense =)  For example I bought an old Sony Discman the other day that has a dedicated chip to enhance the bass performance, to my ears it sounds better than any software algorithm I've heard on a portable DAP, not sure if the Zo is using software or chips but yeah... 

 

Here's some more quotes from the 'Zo' review:

 

"BBE, SRS, Samsung DNSe, Sony DSSE, Creative Xmod, and dozens of others – but once you heard the ZO you likely won’t settle for less anymore."

"Until now Cowon’s BBE and Mach3Bass have been the cream of the crop to my ears"

"What makes the ZO special is that it can recover up to 20dB of dynamic gain. Dynamic gain is something you usually find mentioned in the description of the professional $6000 Massenburg Model 8900 controller and similar".

he also recently wrote: "Westone 4 sounds identical to the Phonak PFE, with ultra-nano-tiny differences"


You can either get the 'Zo' and a Phonak, and think you're listening to a $400 quad-BA driver coupled with a $6000 messerschmit, or you can put your dark hype sunglasses on and look for real sound quality instead cool.gif

 


 

It's a shame how people can still have so little tolerance.

 

You are the one who's reading too much on the comparison between a $100 piece of hardware and a $6000.

 

So, you don't like it? Fine. Just don't come here to badmouth about something you have never listened to.

post #93 of 177

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post

How does that dynamic range expander work with music that's already brickwalled?  


 

From their website:


 

SmartVektor technology expands the audio's dynamic range in the low and high ends of the spectrum. Therefore, with loudness variation enhanced, music is revitalized with texture and clarity. Layers of sound once buried are now uncovered, and the emotional power of sound is restored.


Through the management of acoustic timing and power delivery, SmartVektor reveals sonic detail within the audio otherwise obscured by more dominant sounds. This "unmasking" improves the overall clarity and acoustic resolution, and provides greater spatial dimensionality regardless of the listening environment.


SmartVektor technology is not a bass boost, EQ, or psychoacoustic algorithm. Instead, it maximizes the acoustic efficiency of a speaker by extending its' low frequency cutoff, and optimizing the low frequency power delivery. The result is distinct, profound bass with pure highs and unclouded crystalline detail.


SmartVektor technology rebalances an audio signal to compensate for the ear's inefficiencies by normalizing the sound pressure levels of the entire audio spectrum to achieve equal loudness. Since this balancing provides more sound at less volume, the overall risk of both short- and long-term hearing damage from excessive volume level listening is reduced.

post #94 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post


BBE? Do you mean the MachBass?

 



Turn on both and then compensate for loss of midrange from BBE by using the default EQ. That works well for me.

post #95 of 177

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post

 

So, you don't like it? Fine. Just don't come here to badmouth about something you have never listened to.

 

Truth, but it's expensive buying stuff just to confirm it's not good.

 

It's not like I'm alone in my opinion, so far he's the only person on the planet that's saying things like a Westone W4 and Phonak PFE sound identical.

post #96 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

 

 

Truth, but it's expensive buying stuff just to confirm it's not good.

 

It's not like I'm alone in my opinion, so far he's the only person on the planet that's saying things like a Westone W4 and Phonak PFE sound identical.



Curiously, virtually everyone who tried the ZO has enjoyed it quite a bit, so I don't know where you're getting that.

 

Though, I do agree that it's wrong to compare products from different tiers, that was in fact one point I didn't like about that review.

post #97 of 177

The ZO is not really hyped. I haven't actually seen that many opinions yet. For $100 and if it does what people claim, that would be a good deal. More opinions would be better though.

post #98 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

The ZO is not really hyped. I haven't actually seen that many opinions yet. For $100 and if it does what people claim, that would be a good deal. More opinions would be better though.



There are a few here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504037/mini-review-digizoid-zo-portable-subwoofer

post #99 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

Turn on both and then compensate for loss of midrange from BBE by using the default EQ. That works well for me.


I actually think BBE is pretty pointless. Same with the 3D Surround. For some reason, turning BBE to "1" on my A151 totally revives their super dead and veiled sound. Other than that, I really never use those two; other than maybe turning them both to just "1" ever once in a while. But I will admit, I've used MachBass quite a bit. It doesn't destroy the sound, and actually is really fun to experiment with; especially with bass light headphones... or bass heavy if you are really that sick and twisted! XD

 

post #100 of 177

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post


I actually think BBE is pretty pointless. Same with the 3D Surround. For some reason, turning BBE to "1" on my A151 totally revives their super dead and veiled sound. Other than that, I really never use those two; other than maybe turning them both to just "1" ever once in a while. But I will admit, I've used MachBass quite a bit. It doesn't destroy the sound, and actually is really fun to experiment with; especially with bass light headphones... or bass heavy if you are really that sick and twisted! XD

 


I used to think BBE was terrible too, but that was before I compensated for BBE's reduction of midrange when on high levels. But I also noticed that certain headphones don't sound that great with BBE either though most do. It took months for me to figure out how to use BBE until I finally used the EQ and boosted mids with it and I got an epiphany.

 

post #101 of 177

I'm more skeptical about the reviewer in question than the product itself.

 

I'm seeing some "hype" for it now and wanted to counteract that.

 

The marketing is indeed quite "hype" looking as well and not very scientific, I mean how the hell does it "extend the low frequency cut-off" and "unmask sonic detail" and all that jazz it just looks like pure b/s.

 

I might end up getting one later second hand cheap if I can, and see what it does to hardstyle in my Ety's, my hunch is I'll be dissapointed, but it's worth a shot for 50 bucks or so, and then I'll compare it to my DAPs and discman and stuff.

post #102 of 177

The reviewer seems to have had access to many equipment.  Sure he's not the be all end all when it comes to reviews but I as an owner of the Zo couldn't word it any better lol

 

EDIT

 

And yes, it did seem somewhat iffy before I bought it but how else can you prove something true or false without experience.  I'm extremely happy with it.  =)


Edited by ziocomposite - 6/17/11 at 5:43pm
post #103 of 177

I just can't see it happening.  You can't enhance audio itself, only affect it as least as possible.  

post #104 of 177

It honestly has to be heard to believe it since I was in the "no way" team previously.  I use it with my headphones and with my car speakers.  I love the bass my car has but it can get distorted with the dial.  With this, it just has so much punch and clarity compared to adjusting in car.  

 

EDIT

 

I actually am thinking of selling mine.  Not because I don't like it, but to get ready for V2.  Now I'm just wondering if I want to sell it before or after V2.  If I sell it before I'm going to miss it too much.  It's like crack >__>  


Edited by ziocomposite - 6/17/11 at 6:04pm
post #105 of 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

I used to think BBE was terrible too, but that was before I compensated for BBE's reduction of midrange when on high levels. But I also noticed that certain headphones don't sound that great with BBE either though most do. It took months for me to figure out how to use BBE until I finally used the EQ and boosted mids with it and I got an epiphany.


I'll have to try that. I've never boosted the mids while using BBE. Do you use 3D Surround by any chance? I'm guessing you have one of the newer models as well that comes with Stereo Enhance. What's that do again? (I tried it when I had the iAudio 9, but cannot remember what it did). My iAudio 7 is about ready to be replaced (battery indicator is truly possessed) and will probably buy the Sony E354; but the Cowon will be missed. Love their sound enhancement features, but no models fit my needs like the iAudio 7 did.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Basshead's buyers guide!