Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Etymotic Research HF-5 - Insanely Good - Why is this thing only going for $150?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Etymotic Research HF-5 - Insanely Good - Why is this thing only going for $150? - Page 2

post #16 of 30

The strain relief on the HF2 prevents me from getting a good seal with the silicone tips, so I have to use foamies. Other than that, they are awesome for on-the-go listening. Naturally, my ER-4P beats them hands down when connected to my computer via a Headroom Total Bithead, but for the price, you can't really go wrong.

 

If you are looking for an upgrade, the ER-4 with a good amp/DAC is a very good choice.

post #17 of 30

Thanks for the tip, I did not know about the shure Olives.

post #18 of 30

The Comply tips I use have a built in screen to keep out earwax.  The tips that come with the HF3 don't have a screen.  I have never had a problem with earwax getting into my IEMs, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a screen.  This is why the Comply tips seemed to be a no-brainer for me.  YMMV, of course.  :-)


Edited by luckybaer - 7/8/11 at 12:34pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybaer View Post

The Comply tips I use have a built in screen to keep out earwax.  The tips that come with the HF3 don't have a screen.  I have never had a problem with earwax getting into my IEMs, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a screen.  This is why the Comply tips seemed to be a no-brainer for me.  YMMV, of course.  :-)


That's what the filters are for. wink.gif

 

post #20 of 30

Are the filters on the tips that come with the Etys, or are they in/on the actual earphone?  I was operating under the belief that the filters were in/on the actual earphone, so rather than have to scrape my cerumen off the filters on the actual earphone, I could just worry about scraping much cheaper tips.  You see, I am probably overly cautious about messing around with anything connected to the actual earphone - even if the filters are removable and replaceable.  I can just see myself damaging the earphones, so I said, "What the heck!  Buy the tips with the filters.  If you screw those up, you are out a few bucks."

 

If I am mistaken about filters being in/on the actual headphone or being in/on the tips that came with the Etys, I'm going to want to hit myself for misunderstanding the construction of the earphones.  wink.gif

post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybaer View Post

Are the filters on the tips that come with the Etys, or are they in/on the actual earphone?  I was operating under the belief that the filters were in/on the actual earphone, so rather than have to scrape my cerumen off the filters on the actual earphone, I could just worry about scraping much cheaper tips.  You see, I am probably overly cautious about messing around with anything connected to the actual earphone - even if the filters are removable and replaceable.  I can just see myself damaging the earphones, so I said, "What the heck!  Buy the tips with the filters.  If you screw those up, you are out a few bucks."

 

If I am mistaken about filters being in/on the actual headphone or being in/on the tips that came with the Etys, I'm going to want to hit myself for misunderstanding the construction of the earphones.  wink.gif


No, you are correct, the filters are inside the IEM nozzles. I'm not sure what the cost of tips is vs the cost of the filters, but your reasoning is perfectly logical. Some people produce more earwax than others; I never changed filters in the three years I owned the ER6i. YMMV.

 

post #22 of 30

If you have any questions specifically about our tips, feel free to PM.

Like calipilot said, some earphones (like this Ety) have wax-guards built in to the actual device. I've never seen a cost for replacement sound ports though. If your ears are naturally more waxy than the average person, our Tx-Series tips would be a good idea so you don't clog the earphone. They're a good investment protection plan ksc75smile.gif

post #23 of 30

Going back to the OP's topic; my HF5 arrived on Saturday and I've been very pleased. I was worried about the "lack of bass", but it's not an issue (I don't listen to Hip-Hop though). I get a good seal with the standard tips- I'll try the others eventually.

 

Overall, the sound is very good. My home rig is in my profile (singe ended tubes, crossoverless single driver speakers, etc.) and I believe "if the first watt sucks, then what good is 500?" The HP out of my iPod Classic (7th gen) is decent- it's an ultra portable device and has it's limitations. I'll fight the urge to upgrade (amp, cable, next pair of IEMs) and enjoy my music (which is mostly 128 or 160kbs MP3). I'll rip some lossless CDs next to see how it goes.

 

For $95 the HF5 is a great deal. Okay, okay, I'm tempted to spend another $100 on the ACS custom plugs- my daughter has taken my HD600s. :)

post #24 of 30
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhaynes View Post

 


The Shure black foam ("Olive") tips work great with the HF5 -- they are a tight fit -- when trying to remove them be firm but careful as you twist and pull the Olive tip off the nozzle.  Good thing about the Olives, tho, is that they last longer than the Comply tips -- I just carefully wipe off the outside of the tips and carefully clean inside the tip, dry them off and keep going.  They can last months that way.

 

If you want to try the Comply tips, the T100 size is a hair bigger than the Shure tips, and fit on the HF5 easier -- but the Comply sleeves are more porous and don't last as long -- and can dis-color.
 

 

I have been wanting to get a set of Shure black foam olive tips. The last time I ordered one was large and they were too big for my ear canals so I wasted all that money. Gonna try again, this time, order MEDIUM  LOL!


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipilot227 View Post

The strain relief on the HF2 prevents me from getting a good seal with the silicone tips, so I have to use foamies. Other than that, they are awesome for on-the-go listening. Naturally, my ER-4P beats them hands down when connected to my computer via a Headroom Total Bithead, but for the price, you can't really go wrong.

 

If you are looking for an upgrade, the ER-4 with a good amp/DAC is a very good choice.


Not sure if ER-4 is worth the investment to upgrade from HF-5.  You would need something insanely good, a studio-class, something real high-end, something like UE-18 Pro as an upgrade?
 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychewbacca View Post

Thanks for the tip, I did not know about the shure Olives.


Yes, Sure foam olive tips are supposed to be the best for HF-5.  I have seen various reviews from the users and their first impression about the HF-5 wasn't all that stellar. That is because they applied the wrong tips. The triple flange tips that come with the product aren't good. Don't know about all users but a lot of people weren't impressed with the sound. Once they change out the tips to Comply tips or Shure Olive tips, EVERYTHING is changed. The sound is much better, much more crisp, more punch on the highs and lows.  To all of you that are reading this, please try ALL tips and spend some time on each of them before making a conclusion.  This IEM needs something like Olive tips in order to provide superb sound.  Also it is strange that the sound gets better and better as time goes by.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychewbacca View Post

Well this thread is reassuring. I was a bit skeptical since Amazon was selling them for $100. I guess I should not rely on price so much as a factor for earphone quality :) Can't wait to try them out.


$100 is a steal for HF-5. Be thankful you can get one for that price.  I paid $125 several months ago and I feel I spent too little. This thing is worth more than $125.  More like $300+.
 

 

post #25 of 30
Thread Starter 

The key to success to get ultimate sound on HF-5 is tight fit. You don't want sound to leak.

post #26 of 30

Oh yeah, in case any of you need a remote and mic, the HF2 (Cobalt and Ruby) are 60 dollars off at the Etymotic website (makes them around 100 bucks).  Such a huge steal!

post #27 of 30

Just received the HF2s from Amazon (ordered from Amazon since of the 2 day free shipping) and it is truly amazing!  People were telling me the change over from the Dr. Dre Tour would be very drastic, but it was perfect!  I learned that I do not need a lot of bass, since bass gives me a headache & is a little annoying.  I use the small triply flange ear tips provided with the HF2s and they are perfect.  How do you know which size foam tip you are?  

post #28 of 30

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashinyforehead View Post

Just received the HF2s from Amazon...  I use the small triply flange ear tips provided with the HF2s and they are perfect.  How do you know which size foam tip you are?  


If the smaller grey/blue Ety 3-flange is perfect for you then, I would suggest the Shure black foam "Olive" tips in small size; others will suggest the Comply T100 size.  The Shure tips don't compress down quite as much as the Comply because they are a little bit denser foam -- the Comply are too fluffy, airy for me.  And the Shure tips can be gently cleaned, even without removing them, with a damp tissue, so they can last for months before needing changing.

 

Only thing about the Shure tips is they are a very tight fit on the HF5 -- patience in twising and removing them is needed so you don't snap your HF5 nozzle.
 

 

post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhaynes View Post

 


If the smaller grey/blue Ety 3-flange is perfect for you then, I would suggest the Shure black foam "Olive" tips in small size; others will suggest the Comply T100 size.  The Shure tips don't compress down quite as much as the Comply because they are a little bit denser foam -- the Comply are too fluffy, airy for me.  And the Shure tips can be gently cleaned, even without removing them, with a damp tissue, so they can last for months before needing changing.

 

Only thing about the Shure tips is they are a very tight fit on the HF5 -- patience in twising and removing them is needed so you don't snap your HF5 nozzle.
 

 

Both of the flange tips that come in the Etymotic box fit fine.  I just prefer the smaller ones.  Why do you need to replace these foam tips?  Is it the rolling of them in your fingers prior to inserting them into your ear what causes them to be damaged?  

That is pretty scary for me.  I don't want to worry about snapping the HF2s nozzle.  I already noticed how long and fragile it kind of seems.  Has it snapped before for anyone?
 

 

post #30 of 30

Sure did.  This thread I started when I broke them the second time. redface.gif Very easy to break if you don't use the right technique to pull out eartips, even the stock foam ones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/226541/i-ve-broken-the-etys-two-times-now

 

Then again, now that I know how to take them out, I've even taken out broken foamies that had the plastic tube somehow "heatshrunk" over the stem without breaking the stem.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Etymotic Research HF-5 - Insanely Good - Why is this thing only going for $150?