Aesthetix Pandora. 6K retail.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productAntelope Audio - Zodiac HD 192 kHz D/A Convertertagged by System, 8/27/12
- productAyre Acoustics QB-9tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productBel Canto DAC2tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productBlue Circle BC507tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productCalyx DAC 24/192tagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 8/27/12
- productdB Audio Labs Tranquility USB DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 8/27/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 8/27/12More
- productHeadRoom Ultra Desktop DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productHegel HD20tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productMetrum Acoustics Octavetagged by System, 8/27/12
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productRed Wine Audio Isabella Preamp / Headphone Amptagged by System, 8/27/12
- productSynthesis Matrix DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productweiss audio DAC2tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 8/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) Last post on Yesterday at 5:57 pm in Dedicated Source Components
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 7/26/14 at 4:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for a great DAC to match the Cavalli Liquid Fire Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:46pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- Metrum octave vs new Rega DAC vs Eastern electric Last post on 2/25/13 at 2:29am in Dedicated Source Components
Disclaimer: I would like to sincerely thank Salsera and Brainwavz for providing the sample S5 for this review. For most of my audio listening “career”, I haven’t been a big fan of...
I remember browsing the ebay like many of you guys do to see what is out there in portable amplifier land and this one caught my attention because for one it looked very nice and second it...
Intro The HE-400i is the latest headphone from Hifiman. It was released recently as a replacement for the popular HE-400. This write-up will give my initial impressions of the HE-400i as well as...
There's not much that haven't been said about this amazing universal IEM so I'll try not to repeat. I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for his strong recommendation and for...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Big difference. The Aesthetix Pandora and the Empirical Overdrive are both $6K, and both include asynchronous USB to 24/192. Both can challenge DACs up to the $10K level. Spending the same amount of money overall on a $3K DAC and an Alpha USB just doesn't make sense.
If your budget could be extended, that's exactly the DAC I'd recommend (the second iteration).
PWD MK2 is the other <$5k.
I think Antelope Eclipse will surpass Zodiac easily it is end DAC and it is similar priced $5K. And if I had this money on DAC I wold consider even unknown Casea Orion Lite ($2500) could be with sychro USB soon or in a few months from what I know. And Forssell MDAC-2 but it is without sychro or one diy dac by name BB DAC which is absolutely unknown. But unknown things without reviews here is lost time
Important is personal experience as all knows.. better is buy DAC which could be end in system without possible future change!
Edited by knopi - 9/14/12 at 1:44pm
At that price range, I would go for Antelope, Weiss, AN or PS Audio rather than the other brands mentioned above. These are long known audiophile brands - the other contenders certainly may have better C/P value, but when you try to resell them, you will probably get a big discount, if you are able to resell them at all; whereas for the four brands mentioned above, you pretty much get back the full price, if you bought it second hand or had a good deal in the first place. At least it is how it goes in the Hong Kong market. Note that the DAC technology is evolving fast - there is something better coming out almost every year, so it is almost inevitable that one will have to upgrade - an in that regard, DACs offering upgrade options such as PS Audio, Linn or MSB are recommended.
Edited by googleli - 9/11/12 at 12:43am
They're available for $4800 new and $3200 used.
I see. The 220V ones seem to be a bit more expensive in the local market. I had mine (second hand) for around 28K HKD which is around US$3.5K. I haven't tried hooking it up to the BHSE/009 yet (currently using the Esoteric K-01 for them), but I would imagine that my Weiss DAC202 would be a better match than the Antelope since it has a fuller mid range. However, if I feel that the difference with the K-01 is still huge, the BHSE will be staying with my main rig and my Weiss and Antelope will have to stick with the LF/LCD3 in my study room. I was almost at a point of selling both Weiss and Antelope to fund a dCS Debussy, but the Debussy's maximum support at 96/24 via USB really held me back.
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Xbone Questions 29 seconds ago
- › The need for amplifiers 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 1 minute ago
- › The Entry Level Stax Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Vape-Fi 3 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 6 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 6 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid... 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by HK_sends
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Dsnuts
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by canuckavelli
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)