Aesthetix Pandora. 6K retail.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productAntelope Audio - Zodiac HD 192 kHz D/A Convertertagged by System, 8/27/12
- productAyre Acoustics QB-9tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productBel Canto DAC2tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productBlue Circle BC507tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productCalyx DAC 24/192tagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 8/27/12
- productdB Audio Labs Tranquility USB DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 8/27/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 8/27/12More
- productHeadRoom Ultra Desktop DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productHegel HD20tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productMetrum Acoustics Octavetagged by System, 8/27/12
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productRed Wine Audio Isabella Preamp / Headphone Amptagged by System, 8/27/12
- productSynthesis Matrix DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productweiss audio DAC2tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 8/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) Last post on 1/19/15 at 3:50pm in Dedicated Source Components
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 1/14/15 at 9:20am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for a great DAC to match the Cavalli Liquid Fire Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:46pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- Metrum octave vs new Rega DAC vs Eastern electric Last post on 2/25/13 at 2:29am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 11/28/14
I realize it is a bit of apples vs oranges, but I will compare these to the Sennheiser HD 600 sound, since I sometimes use those to mix recordings with, and many know their sound. Assuming good...
My Amazon Review: I've owned many pieces of high end home audio over the years. Brands like Dali, Audio Research, Krell, Melos, and others. I expect a lot from my gear. In this case, one of the...
About me: I am not an audiology, sound expert or anything professional about audio of short. I am simply just a consumer with a lot of love for musics for years....I purchased this pair, and Would...
Before the Lyr 2 I owned two hybrid headphone amplifiers: the Hifiman EF2A, and the Maverick Audio A1. What both those entry level amplifiers lacked was the power and sonic dynamics to drive my...
I've spent about a month with Cayin N6 DAP, and I'd like to share my thoughts about it. There is few really great reviews of this DAP, so I won't repeat them again, describing it's box,...
Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Big difference. The Aesthetix Pandora and the Empirical Overdrive are both $6K, and both include asynchronous USB to 24/192. Both can challenge DACs up to the $10K level. Spending the same amount of money overall on a $3K DAC and an Alpha USB just doesn't make sense.
If your budget could be extended, that's exactly the DAC I'd recommend (the second iteration).
PWD MK2 is the other <$5k.
I think Antelope Eclipse will surpass Zodiac easily it is end DAC and it is similar priced $5K. And if I had this money on DAC I wold consider even unknown Casea Orion Lite ($2500) could be with sychro USB soon or in a few months from what I know. And Forssell MDAC-2 but it is without sychro or one diy dac by name BB DAC which is absolutely unknown. But unknown things without reviews here is lost time
Important is personal experience as all knows.. better is buy DAC which could be end in system without possible future change!
Edited by knopi - 9/14/12 at 1:44pm
At that price range, I would go for Antelope, Weiss, AN or PS Audio rather than the other brands mentioned above. These are long known audiophile brands - the other contenders certainly may have better C/P value, but when you try to resell them, you will probably get a big discount, if you are able to resell them at all; whereas for the four brands mentioned above, you pretty much get back the full price, if you bought it second hand or had a good deal in the first place. At least it is how it goes in the Hong Kong market. Note that the DAC technology is evolving fast - there is something better coming out almost every year, so it is almost inevitable that one will have to upgrade - an in that regard, DACs offering upgrade options such as PS Audio, Linn or MSB are recommended.
Edited by googleli - 9/11/12 at 12:43am
They're available for $4800 new and $3200 used.
I see. The 220V ones seem to be a bit more expensive in the local market. I had mine (second hand) for around 28K HKD which is around US$3.5K. I haven't tried hooking it up to the BHSE/009 yet (currently using the Esoteric K-01 for them), but I would imagine that my Weiss DAC202 would be a better match than the Antelope since it has a fuller mid range. However, if I feel that the difference with the K-01 is still huge, the BHSE will be staying with my main rig and my Weiss and Antelope will have to stick with the LF/LCD3 in my study room. I was almost at a point of selling both Weiss and Antelope to fund a dCS Debussy, but the Debussy's maximum support at 96/24 via USB really held me back.
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Closed Headphone Recommendations for $500? 4 minutes ago
- › The Tera player thread.Philips R2R DAC ( impressions, opinions,... 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 minutes ago
- › Any music to help sleeping? 4 minutes ago
- › Damping Stax phones with Sorbothane: Lambdas, SRXIII Pro, SR003,... 5 minutes ago
- › AKG K702 (The Classic) vs. K612 Pro (The Upstart) – Review and... 5 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › Best headphones for about 400dollars 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Zobel
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluethooth Wireless Headphones by Deckardk
- › JVC KENWOOD In-Ear Headphones HA-FX750 by Whitigir
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2