Aesthetix Pandora. 6K retail.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAnedio D1 DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productAntelope Audio - Zodiac HD 192 kHz D/A Convertertagged by System, 8/27/12
- productAyre Acoustics QB-9tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productBel Canto DAC2tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productBlue Circle BC507tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productCalyx DAC 24/192tagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryDACstagged by System, 8/27/12
- productdB Audio Labs Tranquility USB DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 8/27/12
- productEastern Electric MiniMax Dactagged by System, 8/27/12More
- productHeadRoom Ultra Desktop DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productHegel HD20tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productMetrum Acoustics Octavetagged by System, 8/27/12
- productPS Audio - PerfectWave DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productRed Wine Audio Isabella Preamp / Headphone Amptagged by System, 8/27/12
- productSynthesis Matrix DACtagged by System, 8/27/12
- productweiss audio DAC2tagged by System, 8/27/12
- productWyred4Sound DAC-2tagged by System, 8/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Yulong Sabre D18 thread: reviews, impressions, discussion (full review added 2/5) Last post on 11/11/14 at 11:35am in Dedicated Source Components
- best DAC under 1000$ + question Last post on 7/26/14 at 4:48pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Looking for a great DAC to match the Cavalli Liquid Fire Last post on 9/4/12 at 5:46pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Help with selecting a DAC Last post on 8/17/12 at 11:11am in Computer Audio
- Metrum octave vs new Rega DAC vs Eastern electric Last post on 2/25/13 at 2:29am in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 11/26/14
I have owned my HD600 for 12-15 years now. I had to change headband and earpad de to weare after 10 years. I believe the Sennheiser HD600 is my best purchase EVER no matter what! I am extremely...
Great headphones. Seriously, I'm really impresed with the detailed and excellent natural balanced sound that this unit delivers. I currently own the K712 pro and the K702 65th Anniversary Edition,...
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax? - Page 7
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Big difference. The Aesthetix Pandora and the Empirical Overdrive are both $6K, and both include asynchronous USB to 24/192. Both can challenge DACs up to the $10K level. Spending the same amount of money overall on a $3K DAC and an Alpha USB just doesn't make sense.
If your budget could be extended, that's exactly the DAC I'd recommend (the second iteration).
PWD MK2 is the other <$5k.
I think Antelope Eclipse will surpass Zodiac easily it is end DAC and it is similar priced $5K. And if I had this money on DAC I wold consider even unknown Casea Orion Lite ($2500) could be with sychro USB soon or in a few months from what I know. And Forssell MDAC-2 but it is without sychro or one diy dac by name BB DAC which is absolutely unknown. But unknown things without reviews here is lost time
Important is personal experience as all knows.. better is buy DAC which could be end in system without possible future change!
Edited by knopi - 9/14/12 at 1:44pm
At that price range, I would go for Antelope, Weiss, AN or PS Audio rather than the other brands mentioned above. These are long known audiophile brands - the other contenders certainly may have better C/P value, but when you try to resell them, you will probably get a big discount, if you are able to resell them at all; whereas for the four brands mentioned above, you pretty much get back the full price, if you bought it second hand or had a good deal in the first place. At least it is how it goes in the Hong Kong market. Note that the DAC technology is evolving fast - there is something better coming out almost every year, so it is almost inevitable that one will have to upgrade - an in that regard, DACs offering upgrade options such as PS Audio, Linn or MSB are recommended.
Edited by googleli - 9/11/12 at 12:43am
They're available for $4800 new and $3200 used.
I see. The 220V ones seem to be a bit more expensive in the local market. I had mine (second hand) for around 28K HKD which is around US$3.5K. I haven't tried hooking it up to the BHSE/009 yet (currently using the Esoteric K-01 for them), but I would imagine that my Weiss DAC202 would be a better match than the Antelope since it has a fuller mid range. However, if I feel that the difference with the K-01 is still huge, the BHSE will be staying with my main rig and my Weiss and Antelope will have to stick with the LF/LCD3 in my study room. I was almost at a point of selling both Weiss and Antelope to fund a dCS Debussy, but the Debussy's maximum support at 96/24 via USB really held me back.
- Best DAC from $1500 to $2500 (or so) Can anything beat the Eastern Electric Minimax?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Gorilla Ear AT5 CIEM for Reshell 14 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR MA900 Impressions Thread 20 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 38 seconds ago
- › Doodlebug - USB Isolator 1 minute ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 1 minute ago
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 2 minutes ago
- › Mac-Fi 3 minutes ago
- › Hi Guys, reco for BASS in ear headphones? Mainly Techno, Electro,... 4 minutes ago
- › Portable, closed headphones from $200 to $300? 4 minutes ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 by paara
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition by gabrielnorena
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Guarding oneself against insurance fraud
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3