Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › UM3X vs. SM3 v2: Advice Appreciated!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

UM3X vs. SM3 v2: Advice Appreciated! - Page 4

post #46 of 55


I would say that if you are going by a blind purchase, the UM3x will probably appeal to more people

 

The SM3 is awesome, but it's more of a love/hate relationship between it and to your ears. It will be a great purchase if you are able to enjoy it fully, but it would be best to audition it as it is quite a polarizing IEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicit View Post

I'm also debating which of the two to purchase.  I haven't listened to either, but both seem like solid choices.



 

post #47 of 55

Hmm okay.  I really wish I could audition them lol. What exactly do you mean by it is quite a polarizing IEM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKot View Post


I would say that if you are going by a blind purchase, the UM3x will probably appeal to more people

 

The SM3 is awesome, but it's more of a love/hate relationship between it and to your ears. It will be a great purchase if you are able to enjoy it fully, but it would be best to audition it as it is quite a polarizing IEM



 



 

post #48 of 55

Love it or hate it.

 

I've been told by SM3 owners that it took them a long time to suddenly like it, but once they start liking it it becomes like the best thing for them. Sounds like drivel to me, but who knows. I had multiple listening sessions (couple hours) with the SM3 and could never like it.

post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirai View Post

Love it or hate it.

 

I've been told by SM3 owners that it took them a long time to suddenly like it, but once they start liking it it becomes like the best thing for them. Sounds like drivel to me, but who knows. I had multiple listening sessions (couple hours) with the SM3 and could never like it.

What was not Appealing to you about your SM3 Auditions
 

 

post #50 of 55
Thread Starter 

Thanks guys! I am going to be buying a pair of the UM3Xs. Thanks to each and everyone of you for the replies. Appreciated like the title suggests.

post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigetone View Post

Thanks guys! I am going to be buying a pair of the UM3Xs. Thanks to each and everyone of you for the replies. Appreciated like the title suggests.

Cool Personally after reading countless threads I really think you made the best choice. Can;t remember if it was mentioned here earlier, Westones Comfort and their cables, build quality and "customer service" is about the industries best!
 

 

post #52 of 55
Thread Starter 
Thanks to all. I bought some UM3Xs but my friend can get a deal on the W4s and rather than take a restocking fee hit I would pass the savings on to you for the help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Westone-UM3X-Earphones-w-Removable-Cable-/330584426680?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4cf85e08b8#ht_500wt_922
smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by prestigetone - 7/3/11 at 4:17pm
post #53 of 55
Thread Starter 
post #54 of 55
Thread Starter 

Alright guys my quest for the best option has taken me on many trips and auditions. I love the input that is given on this site. Amazing people here.

 

I miss the signature of the UM3X, but am wondering if I should forgo the in ear for the Senn HD 25 on ear simply for comfort and safety of hearing? 

 

Has anyone picked between the Westone range and this model. 

 

Thank you in advance!

post #55 of 55

I have done an extensive A/B to the SM3 and UM3X and UM3X wins hands down IMO. More treble emphasis, more clarity/transparency, more details, brighter (much brighter), better instrument separation. SM3 are way too dark whern you are accostummed to the UM3X sound sig. BTW, they are stunning with the UM56 custom tips (more bass  - have tried Shure Olives, etc, better treble, even more details). They are my favorite universal IEMs. The closest you can get to a custom made IEM. They just need the UM56 tips to show all their potential. Since you can get them for 200 EURO used + 100 EURO for the UM56's, for 300 EURO total you can't get any better IMO.


Edited by miow - 12/17/11 at 7:50am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › UM3X vs. SM3 v2: Advice Appreciated!