Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Reconfiguring my portable rig - Random updates on the journey
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reconfiguring my portable rig - Random updates on the journey - Page 3

post #31 of 204


I must agree apple really does have some good products. Just they are very controlling and I don't like being controlled ;) Until Media Monkey offers support for the IOS5 I won't be loading music onto my iphone4 as I am just too stubborn to have to use itunes... There seems to be a weird workaround but I'll have to do this on Windows XP and Media Money version 3. Not so much in a rush to do that ATM... Yeah I'll be sure to chime in on my impressions on it. May give some early impressions as well but I know this device will need some burn in time. Will keep you posted. ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

@lee730, stop back by here and post an update on your impressions of the Studio V after you have lived with it for a few weeks and the new wears off!  I am curious about this and the Rocoo.  I'm really pretty Apple-Centric when it comes to portable source gear, just for the convenience of it - I am really pretty Apple-Centric in general...  Still, I am curious about a source and good amp combo - something Apple does not really offer.  Apple offers portable "good enough."  I'd really like to find and try portable "excellent" in one reasonably sized box.



 


Edited by lee730 - 12/30/11 at 10:19am
post #32 of 204
Thread Starter 

I was just asked via PM my thoughts on the Pico Slim vs, the TTVJ Slim with the Beyer DT1350's.  I thought it might be worth posting here:

 

Pico Slim is awesome with the DT1350's.  If your plans include lower impedance and especially very sensitive headphones and especially multidriver IEM's, there is not a better amp in my opinion.  The reason?  The incredible volume control the Pico Slim has.  I struggle with most amps, especially with my custom iem's, as one click is too quiet, and likely has channel imbalance.  Either the next click is too loud, or by the time the pot moves enough to get past channel imbalance, it is too loud for me.  Note that I usually listen more quietly than most seem to.  I save the ear-bleed sessions for the car, or the speaker rig when the lovely wife and daughter are out.  The Pico Slim is NOT a powerhouse.  It is best thought of as a clean amp with a brilliant attenuator.  It powers the DT1350's just fine, though.

 

If your plans do not include sensitive iem's, and any higher impedance headphones or less sensitive headphones, the TTVJ is also a great choice.  There is just something about the TTVJ Slim and the way it sounds, that I really like.  It has a warm, fun tonality to it that is really captivating.  While larger than the Pico Slim, The TTVJ Slim is not much thicker, especially if you leave the Pico Slim in it's leather case.  The TTVJ Slim also is a better shape with a DAP strapped to it, as it is the same length or longer.  With the Pico Slim, you have a very small, slightly odd shaped box strapped to the back.  Both are very portable, and both fit fine into a sweatshirt pocket or something.

 

So - Custom or universal multidriver sensitive iems - Pico Slim without question.

No iems - Either works well.  Pico slim is much closer to neutral, wonderful volume control  TTVJ Slim has a warmth and fun coloring that really sounds wonderful.  Less sensitive / higher impedance cans - I would lean toward the TTVJ.  Both the Pico and TTVJ Slims are excellent with the DT1350.


Edited by aamefford - 1/28/12 at 10:25am
post #33 of 204


Is the Picos volume pot significantly better than the UHA4s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

I was just asked via PM my thoughts on the Pico Slim vs, the TTVJ Slim with the Beyer DT1350's.  I thought it might be worth posting here:

 

Pico Slim is awesome with the DT1350's.  If your plans include lower impedance and especially very sensitive headphones and especially multidriver IEM's, there is not a better amp in my opinion.  The reason?  The incredible volume control the Pico Slim has.  I struggle with most amps, especially with my custom iem's, as one click is too quiet, and likely has channel imbalance.  Either the next click is too loud, or by the time the pot moves enough to get past channel imbalance, it is too loud for me.  Note that I usually listen more quietly than most seem to.  I save the ear-bleed sessions for the car, or the speaker rig when the lovely wife and daughter are out.  The Pico Slim is NOT a powerhouse.  It is best thought of as a clean amp with a brilliant attenuator.  It powers the DT1350's just fine, though.

 

If your plans do not include sensitive iem's, and any higher impedance headphones or less sensitive headphones, the TTVJ is also a great choice.  There is just something about the TTVJ Slim and the way it sounds, that I really like.  It has a warm, fun tonality to it that is really captivating.  While larger than the Pico Slim, The TTVJ Slim is not much thicker, especially if you leave the Pico Slim in it's leather case.  The TTVJ Slim also is a better shape with a DAP strapped to it, as it is the same length or longer.  With the Pico Slim, you have a very small, slightly odd shaped box strapped to the back.  Both are very portable, and both fit fine into a sweatshirt pocket or something.

 

So - Custom or universal multidriver sensitive iems - Pico Slim without question.

No iems - Either works well.  Pico slim is much closer to neutral, wonderful volume control  TTVJ Slim has a warmth and fun coloring that really sounds wonderful.  Less sensitive / higher impedance cans - I would lean toward the TTVJ.  Both the Pico and TTVJ Slims are excellent with the DT1350.



 

post #34 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Is the Picos volume pot significantly better than the UHA4s?



 

 For me - yes.

 

For most - yes, but - The UHA-4 likely offers enough range and fine enough steps to find a comfortable level.  In other words - it is good enough.  I used it for a while quite happily.  The Pico Slim is still the king of fine volume control with sensitive iems or headphones, or if you listen at quite low volume as I do.
 

 

post #35 of 204
Thread Starter 

Pointless post number 1500 - Finally reached Coneheadus Souffleus status.  What?  Harps and Angels singing?  Oh, no, just gas...  Last Head-fi milestone...

post #36 of 204


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post

Pointless post number 1500 - Finally reached Coneheadus Souffleus status.  What?  Harps and Angels singing?  Oh, no, just gas...  Last Head-fi milestone...

 

You've finally made it. You are one of the big boys now. :)

 


Edited by lee730 - 1/31/12 at 4:22am
post #37 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


 

 

You've finally made it. You are one of the big boys now. :)

 

 

I bit too big fer me britches actually.  No, seriously, my pants are tight.  I gotta go on a diet...
 

 

post #38 of 204
Thread Starter 

I sold my DacPort.  Not that I wanted to part with it, I just never seem to have time to set up my laptop rig and listen, so off it went.  The funds offset my new Sony PCM-M10 digital recorder.  While it does play AAC, WAV, MP3 files, it isn't the best quality for a playback device.  What it does well, is record WAV files at up to 24 bit, 96Khz stereo on the nice onboard omni mics, as well as with external mics.  I thought I'd branch out into recording my daughter's school programs and the odd acoustic show or street band.

 

I also picked up a used pair of Audio Technica AT853 cardioid mics,  I see a pair of Soundman Binaural in - ear omni mics coming soon.

 

i also plan to run line out into my Pico Slim to see if the Sony PCM-M0's mediocre playback is due to the onboard amp, just for fun.


Edited by aamefford - 7/13/12 at 9:21am
post #39 of 204

Not sure when I'll part with mine. Depending on funds next year I may be doing some major upgrading ;). So how do you like that Pico Slim. How good is the digital pot on it. Also what is the sound signature like?
 

post #40 of 204
Thread Starter 

I'm a big fan of the Pico Slim.  That digital volume control is excellent.  I have yet to find a source that can't be cleaned up by running through the slim.  iPods have too much gain, so they get too loud at click 2, 3 or 4 for me.  The digital volume control works wonders here.  I ran my Sony recorder line out into it.  The recorder has decent volume control, but hisses.  Line out to the Slim, it is good enough to use as a music player.  On the same level as my iPod touch, anyway.

 

Sound signature - pretty close to neutral.  Doesn't do much to the signal, near as I can tell.  It probably leans toward warm, as I like it, and my preference leans to warm...

post #41 of 204

Interesting. I may end up picking up a unit in the future instead of a UHA4. My unit was stolen or lost but I did get the UHA6 MKII which is better IMO. But I want better volume control for Sensitive IEMs.
 

post #42 of 204
Thread Starter 
Volume control for sensitive iems is the big reason I love the slim. I haven't found anything better. UHA4 wasn't bad though. Really wish I could find a smallish box that takes digital from an iPod touch, runs it through a good dac, 24/96 would be nice, and runs it through an amp with a volume range and control comparable to the slim. A stand alone dap with an amp section as described would also work. This is what I'd hoped the Rocoo BA would be. What a horrible disappointment that turned out to be for me! Oops. I was gonna not say anything if I couldn't say anything nice about the BA...
post #43 of 204

Well it's better to state the truth than cover it up. If the problems aren't brought up then there is no way Hi-sound can fix them in the future.
 

post #44 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Well it's better to state the truth than cover it up. If the problems aren't brought up then there is no way Hi-sound can fix them in the future.
 


Oh, all right then -

 

The Rocoo BA had the clunkiest UI I've used, and hissed like a cat cornered by a dog through my sensitive, multi-driver iem's (1964 Ears Quads, for the record) - exactly the use for which the Rocoo BA is targeted.  I returned mine for a refund after a replacement unit behaved just like the first.  It did sound very nice with my Beyer DT1350's, but that is not what I bought it for.  Decent looking, and not bad for a $69 player, but it lists for $249.

 

On the plus side, it does sound nice with at least some cans, it seems, and Jack and Todd were very reasonable to deal with.  I really wanted to like the Rocoo BA, but it just did not suit my needs.

post #45 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post


Oh, all right then -

 

The Rocoo BA had the clunkiest UI I've used, and hissed like a cat cornered by a dog through my sensitive, multi-driver iem's (1964 Ears Quads, for the record) - exactly the use for which the Rocoo BA is targeted.  I returned mine for a refund after a replacement unit behaved just like the first.  It did sound very nice with my Beyer DT1350's, but that is not what I bought it for.  Decent looking, and not bad for a $69 player, but it lists for $249.

 

On the plus side, it does sound nice with at least some cans, it seems, and Jack and Todd were very reasonable to deal with.  I really wanted to like the Rocoo BA, but it just did not suit my needs.

 

In the near future you may find your self very surprised. I'll be the guinea pig fist though and then will give you the go-ahead since we both seem to be real sensitive to hiss :P. If I can hear hiss I'm generally not a happy camper myself. I love a black-background after being spoiled :).


Edited by lee730 - 7/14/12 at 3:52pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Reconfiguring my portable rig - Random updates on the journey