Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones for Burson HA-160D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones for Burson HA-160D

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 

Hi,

I have ordered the Burson HA-160D and was wondering what headphones to get.

The AKG 702s are pretty affordable, so that could be an obvious place to start, but I don't want to buy them now and start looking for new headphones again in a few months time,because I realize other headphones may be much better. 

The Hifiman HE-500s look interesting too and they'll be available in Europe soon, but they are much more expensive than the AKGs.

I have a pretty good speaker system and would really like my headphone system to be even better sounding.

I listen mainly to World Music (Latin, Samba, etc.) and occasionally to classical music.

Thanks,

T.

 

post #2 of 47

The LCD-2's  Give your 160D a chance to shine.

post #3 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post

The LCD-2's  Give your 160D a chance to shine.


Couldn't agree more.  The LCD + Burson combo is something very special.

 

post #4 of 47

I'm sorry for having to ask this but i'm pretty sure i've read some pretty lengthy forums in which you were involved mentioning how you were only going to buy one headphone and one amp and be done with it. Down the road i noted that this how it played out, so i am wondering how you can after reading as much as you have on this website about peoples preferences make a judgement based off only ever hearing one system or maybe you've read about the burson and lcd-2 but that would not be your professional opinion, but an opinion of someone else.

Maybe the He-500 sounds better than the lcd-2 on that amp.  Possibly even outdoing the lcd-2 on a totally different level.  

(Not saying it does as i have absolutely no idea)

 

 

post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMACAdress View Post

I'm sorry for having to ask this but i'm pretty sure i've read some pretty lengthy forums in which you were involved mentioning how you were only going to buy one headphone and one amp and be done with it. Down the road i noted that this how it played out, so i am wondering how you can after reading as much as you have on this website about peoples preferences make a judgement based off only ever hearing one system or maybe you've read about the burson and lcd-2 but that would not be your professional opinion, but an opinion of someone else.

Maybe the He-500 sounds better than the lcd-2 on that amp.  Possibly even outdoing the lcd-2 on a totally different level.  

(Not saying it does as i have absolutely no idea)

 

 


You are absolutely right.   All I can say is that during the past six months I'v'e corresponded with a lot of people about their preferences.  I would have to say all of them have or have had many different sets of cans and amps.  I've only had the LCD, Wyred4Sound, DAC-2, and the Violectric V200.  Many of my new headphone acquaintances own the Burson 160D and the LCD's.  Some also own the Hifiman HE-500 along with the 800.  After a lot of exchanges with them they all seem to prefer the LCD BUT that doesn't mean the Hifiman HE-500 isn't any good either.  It's just that people seem to be clamping the LCD on their heads more often when choosing from their selection of cans.   I wish I had a selection to choose from.  Sorry didn't mean to downplay the Hifiman HE-500 on you like that I have no idea if the Hifiman HE-500 sounds better on the 160D because I have completely focused on the LCD's.  But if you do get the chance to try both PM me! I want to know what you found out.  

 

By the way.  I'm really liking the LCD's in the rig I assembled.  My instincts as a broadcast video editor/ mixer and audiophile came in handy when trolling the minds of others for clues to my own audio preferences.

 

But if you really want to get a good detailed answer to you question concerning the Hifiman HE-500 and the LCD with the Burson 160D you should ask it in this thread.  I'm bet some of the guys there have the combo

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2/2925#post_7570206

 

 

P.S.

NewMac, I thought you were the original poster so I answered it as if you were.  Either way the answer is still relevant I think.


Edited by WarriorAnt - 6/27/11 at 8:20pm
post #6 of 47

Im just here to read lol. Just don't think i'm trying to be negative please.  Thanks

 

post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMACAdress View Post

Im just here to read lol. Just don't think i'm trying to be negative please.  Thanks

 



Not at all.  Your question is a valid one for sure.  

post #8 of 47

get an used, LCD-2 or HE-500 or whatever, once you figured it's not your cup of tea, you can just sell it with little or no loss in money. 

post #9 of 47

I suppose i should just save up a few hundred bucks and  go to a headphone meet so i can try the different cans out before i make the final decision.  

post #10 of 47

Looks like K-702 + Burson is a great combo. k701smile.gif Here is more info: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/burson_akg/1.html


Edited by Acix - 6/28/11 at 2:30pm
post #11 of 47

K701/2 + Burson is a very popular combo, but if you have the funds for something like an HE-500 or LCD-2, I'd recommend going for it, as those headphones will audibly be a cut above and won't leave you with the itch to upgrade later

post #12 of 47

I think it's a mistake to assume that every person will prefer the LCD-2 to the K-701, like I didn't.  Some people just don't get the planar sound and I owned Maggie 3.6.  So, yes, audition and comparing would be essential before any assumptions.  But, you knew that. smile.gif

post #13 of 47

I'm a recent owner of the Burson HA-160. I've been using the Senn HD650's, the Beyer DT880's, the AKG 701's and occasionally the venerable Grado HP 1000's. I find that the music/recording largely dictates which cans I'll be reaching for. My favourite all 'rounder is the Beyers. On a good recording, that's my preference. On brighter recordings I'll go with the HD650's. If I really want to rock out and crave a rather intense mid-forward presentation-- it's the Grados. I only ever have the desire to listen to the K701's with acoustic/chamber/ less dense music. Of course, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

 

But I'll be adding some other headphones soon-- the Beyer T1's and the Denon AH-7000's. With the T1's at least, the reviews seem mixed. (I know I want the Beyers and I'll eventually get another amp if need be). I hope to get the LCD-2's eventually too.

post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post

Looks like K-702 + Burson is a great combo. k701smile.gif Here is more info: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/burson_akg/1.html



 

while that's true i found k702 rather limited. especially as it was my only headphone....

 

LCD-2 on the other hand is very versatile.

post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post

I think it's a mistake to assume that every person will prefer the LCD-2 to the K-701, like I didn't.smile.gif


Maybe not, but I think it's a safer bet to assume someone will prefer the LCD-2 to the K701 than vice versa

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones for Burson HA-160D