Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › EMF levels from 3 top headphones: Ultrasone ED10 LE, Grado GS1000i and Sennheiser HD800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EMF levels from 3 top headphones: Ultrasone ED10 LE, Grado GS1000i and Sennheiser HD800 - Page 3

post #31 of 44
Thread Starter 

Are you sure?

Maybe I get my boy a pair of Stax SR9 then, but did someone say tube amps are dangerous?

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

A pair of electrostatic headphone should emit less radiation than any headphones with magnets. By its principle of its operation, it merely a membrane attracted/repulse to a grid where it have a high potential difference, the current running through them will be very low. It shouldn't effect much of you, well, might move a staticy hair or two, but it shouldn't have any effect. It simply does not have a constant magnetic field that dynamic headphones have.

Not that dynamic headphones have any hazard or effects on the human body except providing music to your ears anyway.


 

post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post

You are right, I was merely using firing as general term for a electron emitter. "Firing" electron would need some kind of particle acceleration, like the plates on a CRT, but the attraction from the anode on a tube can also be seen as "accelerator". Well, I put high energy as they have higher energy than just a weak magnatic field.


I'm staring at one right now.  Thank $DEITY for leaded glass.  That's real ionizing radiation.

post #33 of 44
The thing is even the strongest magnet at over 30000 gauss would do any harm to human body and is considered the safest medical scanning compared to x-ray and other alternative. What would make you think using a 0.001-0.003 gauss pair of headphones is going to do anything. I would say stop worrying and just listen.

Electrostatic headphones just do not have a magnet, which your meter is measuring... harmless magnetic field.

Vacuum tube was just a joke, a CRT emits more radiation than it, not that you are blind now, are you? (if that turned into a really bad sick joke, I do apologise)
post #34 of 44

I'd also like to point out that a static field is not radiation.

 

The only radiation emitted by a headphone is generated by the audio signal, ie, a few hundred mW at 20-20kHz going through the wires.


Edited by Wildstar - 6/10/11 at 1:08am
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchiu View Post

 

Am I concerned over these exposures they have 24/7?  Just look at the increase of autism, cancers, and other health issues in children over the last decade.

 



 


I'm pretty sure that the increases in cancer, autism and other health cases are more due to us having better methods of detecting such conditions along with more widespread health care.  Autism isn't one of those things that you can instantly diagnose by simply looking at someone...it needs understanding of the condition and needs various tests to be taken.  It's just that more people are taking such tests now.

 

As for cancer...well, unless you look for it, you're not going to detect benign cancers very easily.  And the increase in cancers among the older generation can generally be attributed to how people are living longer now than the rest of preceding human history.  Of course, maybe I really am wrong and magnetic fields are in fact causing cancer...though I remain skeptical since there is no scientific evidence that points to that conclusion.


You do have to keep in mind that correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation.  For example:

 

http://xkcd.com/111/

 

-loves xkcd-

 

post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

I'm pretty sure that the increases in cancer, autism and other health cases are more due to us having better methods of detecting such conditions along with more widespread health care.  Autism isn't one of those things that you can instantly diagnose by simply looking at someone...it needs understanding of the condition and needs various tests to be taken.  It's just that more people are taking such tests now.

 

As for cancer...well, unless you look for it, you're not going to detect benign cancers very easily.  And the increase in cancers among the older generation can generally be attributed to how people are living longer now than the rest of preceding human history.  Of course, maybe I really am wrong and magnetic fields are in fact causing cancer...though I remain skeptical since there is no scientific evidence that points to that conclusion.


You do have to keep in mind that correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation.  For example:

 

http://xkcd.com/111/

 

-loves xkcd-


EM pollution aside, all of the above mentioned maladies might also have something to do with the huge increase in the dumping of the offals of the aluminum smelting industry into our water system.  (they refer to it as fluoridation)   Then there's the huge increase of use of mercury based preservatives in all of the vaccines given to our children. (they call that thiomersal or merthiolate)   Then there's the substitution of trans fats for many of the simple saturated fats in much of our food supply, the list goes on and on.  We have polluted ourselves and our planet and we're surprised that people are getting sick?

 

 

 

post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




EM pollution aside, all of the above mentioned maladies might also have something to do with the huge increase in the dumping of the offals of the aluminum smelting industry into our water system.  (they refer to it as fluoridation)   Then there's the huge increase of use of mercury based preservatives in all of the vaccines given to our children. (they call that thiomersal or merthiolate)   Then there's the substitution of trans fats for many of the simple saturated fats in much of our food supply, the list goes on and on.  We have polluted ourselves and our planet and we're surprised that people are getting sick?

 

 

 



You have to keep in mind that there is no connection between thiomersal in vaccines and autism.  That was just one bogus study that has since been refuted many times by the scientific community.  Not so sure about fluoridation though...but I do think that it is rather pointless now that most people actually brush their teeth these days.  Though to most adults it isn't a problem, I think it can be a problem to young children and those who are sensitive to such things.

post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

You have to keep in mind that there is no connection between thiomersal in vaccines and autism.  That was just one bogus study that has since been refuted many times by the scientific community.  Not so sure about fluoridation though...but I do think that it is rather pointless now that most people actually brush their teeth these days.  Though to most adults it isn't a problem, I think it can be a problem to young children and those who are sensitive to such things.

You may be right, as I don't make a study of such things, I just try to avoid them when I can.
 

 

post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post



You may be right, as I don't make a study of such things, I just try to avoid them when I can.
 

 



Which may be just as well, since this thread is getting rather off-topic.  I guess I shall take my leave for now. :P

post #40 of 44

I subscribe to the drinking water theories. Sodium Fluoride is the active ingredient in rat poison and a by-product of aluminum manufacture. More and more municipalities are voting water additives that contain it out of their districts all the time and there is a warning not to eat toothpaste containing it. It reminds me of when the ADA recently overruled their own committee and stopped endorsing the toxic heavy metal mercury in our fillings.

 

But I do find it interesting that magnetism can be beneficial or harmful depending upon the application. I wonder if this is entirely due to the nature of the product being sold, or if there is some other justification for this seeming contradiction.

 

Regarding EMF fields, I believe that the meters are of the same nature as the ones that are used to detect ghosts.

41xP%2ByPv9VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Edited by grokit - 6/11/11 at 12:20am
post #41 of 44


 

Originally Posted by grokit View Post

I subscribe to the drinking water theories. Sodium Fluoride is the active ingredient in rat poison and a by-product of aluminum manufacture. More and more municipalities are voting water additives that contain it out of their districts all the time and there is a warning not to eat toothpaste containing it. It reminds me of when the ADA recently overruled their own committee and stopped endorsing the toxic heavy metal mercury in our fillings.

 

The toxicity of something depends on the dosage. Even pure water can be toxic if you drink enough of it.

Water fluoridation is one of the 20th century's greatest public health improvements. It is merely a man made replication of what occurs naturally in many locations. At worst, it could cause teeth staining, not OMG cancer and whatever the hell the ignorant fearmongers claim.
 

Mercury might be toxic even in small dosages, but teeth filings are not mercury. They're an amalgam. No study has shown any harm from proper use of dental amalgam in patients. Amalgam can be subject to fracture and pieces swallowed. These are not absorbed and pass through the GI tract.

 

The fact that some people claim magnetic fields are beneficial and others claim that they're harmful is clue that maybe they don't do anything. Perhaps we should start thinking science is actually right instead of fearing the boogieman under the bed.

 

One of the sadly bad effects of the internet is how it provides exposure to the ignorant fearmongers, and in so is actually threatening some of mankind's greatest achievements, such as vaccination. We are now going back to the times where we had measles and whooping cough outbreaks because some parents are being scared away from vaccinating their children. Diseases that were practically extinct are now rampaging again. Good job anti-vaxxers!

 

post #42 of 44

Enjoy your heavy metals and rat poison. If your municipality votes fluoride out of your water you can find a highly-concentrated form in the pest control section, just follow the recommended dilutions and ignore the skull and crossbones. And perhaps you should lobby the ADA to re-introduce mercury into dental amalgams, we don't have enough ADHD in this country. I could cite plenty of studies and statistics that directly refute yours but why bother when the information for both "sides" is freely available.

post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Enjoy your heavy metals and rat poison. If your municipality votes fluoride out of your water you can find a highly-concentrated form in the pest control section, just follow the recommended dilutions and ignore the skull and crossbones. And perhaps you should lobby the ADA to re-introduce mercury into dental amalgams, we don't have enough ADHD in this country. I could cite plenty of studies and statistics that directly refute yours but why bother when the information for both "sides" is freely available.


 

You do realize of course that a lot of normal food has mercury in it?

post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Enjoy your heavy metals and rat poison. If your municipality votes fluoride out of your water you can find a highly-concentrated form in the pest control section, just follow the recommended dilutions and ignore the skull and crossbones. And perhaps you should lobby the ADA to re-introduce mercury into dental amalgams, we don't have enough ADHD in this country. I could cite plenty of studies and statistics that directly refute yours but why bother when the information for both "sides" is freely available.

 

I don't live in the US. Fortunately my municipality's public health decisions are made by people who actually have proper degrees, knowledge and training in the required fields, and concur with the scientific consensus rather than taking "sides".


 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › EMF levels from 3 top headphones: Ultrasone ED10 LE, Grado GS1000i and Sennheiser HD800