Ok I've done a search and read just about every single one of the recommendations from 2010 to 2011. I keep getting mixed reviews from what I've been reading but I've filtered it down to a couple things. But first here is a list of what I need it to be good at:
2. Hip Hop
3. Bass (Quantity and quality. I want detailed punches with the oomph. Accuracy is not much of a concern here). Mids and highs need to be clear as well.
4. Fun sounding
5. Around $200
6. Can wear for long periods of time. Basically I need it to be comfortable and not fatiguing.
7. Wouldn't need an amp to drive (unless the combo of hp + amp/dac would REALLY kill at hip hop, equalling about $200 total still, and beating all the other headphones under ~$300)
And this is coming right out from Westone UM1's, asking for friend.
Here is my list, not in order, from reading through posts:
1. SRH840: Lacking bass quantity
2. HD25: Too sibilant with hip hop
3. Denon 1100: Too much on the lows? Mids and highs are not bearable? NEEDS EQ'ing (which I'm a nub at so I can't help him either)?
4. Denon 2000: Don't isolate as well as other choices like SRH840
5. Ultrasone 580: Too much bass? Cable problem?
6. Ultrasone 780: Same cable problem? Not enough bass for hip hop?
7. Ultrasone DJ1: Same as 580 but with different different cable and coloring.
8. DT770: Too bass oriented.
9. ATH M50: I want to stay away from these. I've heard them, he's heard them. We both agreed it's just meh for hip hop. This is the white boxed version. Not "fun" enough, personally I think they're overrated.
10. SR80i: More rock oriented?
10. Please no beats recommendations. I know most of you hate them already, but this is JIC.
So that's what I've come up with. The highest on the list is probably the 580. I myself want a FA003, but knowing the availability of that product, I know that wouldn't be a recommendation for him as of yet. And seriously, only from Russia? I'm willing to wait for a used pair though, but he isn't. Sidetracking aside, please recommend, defend, or discourage a headphone!
Edited by hybrid35 - 6/4/11 at 6:33am