Yes, the title explains pretty much everything. I tried the Sennheiser HD515's, and though the highs and mids are great the bass is lacking (when I listen to stuff like Bassnectar, Skrillex, deadmau5, or other stuff like that, bass is very important to me). I use the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000's for listening to my music on the computer, and I'm looking for a similar sound signature but with slightly better highs/mids (those cost us $50, so there has to be something better). The bass is perfect with the LX-3000's, or at least for my tastes. I really don't mind whether the cans are open or closed, though I've been told that closed cans are able to output better bass. Also, I prefer buying within the USA. Help is much appreciated!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K81DJ Akg Closed-Back Folding Dj Headphonetagged by System, 6/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
- productJVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphonetagged by System, 6/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/6/11
- productPioneer SE-M390 High Performance Ported AV Over-Ear Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 6/6/11
- productSennheiser HD 515 Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need to buy within the hour budget £60 Last post on 4/11/11 at 2:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use Last post on 8/5/12 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First over ear heaphones help. Last post on 10/6/11 at 7:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for first headphones Last post on 9/19/11 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
When I was a child in the '80s, one of my neighbour's kids, a gloriously goofy-looking guy of the era, was always out on his driveway fixing his motorbikes, then later, his car, a vintage Ford V8....
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
I'm looking for advice on cans within a $60-ish price range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 246/3/11 at 7:56pmpost #3 of 246/3/11 at 8:01pmpost #4 of 246/3/11 at 8:04pmpost #5 of 246/3/11 at 8:13pmThread Starter
Thanks for the suggestions! I accidentally left out one important part of this, though... I listen to music on the go pretty much all the time, so I'd like decent portability, too. Some of those models just look massive :Ppost #6 of 246/4/11 at 7:47amThread Starterpost #7 of 246/4/11 at 7:56ampost #8 of 246/4/11 at 10:03am
I'd second the AKG K81DJ recommendation. Quite bass-heavy, very portable, pretty sturdy, and the isolation is outstanding. Also note for shopping purposes that the K518DJ and K518LE are identical, to my knowledge, except that the LE has a one meter cord, which may or may not be to your liking.post #9 of 246/4/11 at 10:10am
+1 for K81 / K518 DJ (they are the same, K518 is newer and all black and ofc there's the LE versions with shorter cable, 1.2m vs 2.5m and different colors) suggestion if portability matters too.
When looking for bass & portability & isolation around $50~60 mark these won't dissappoint but be aware of the comfort, would probably need headband stretching as otherwise the clamping is very intense unless you got a very small head. The weak point of this headphone is the soundstage/imaging though, but it's also very forward sounding which often leads to a more closed-in feeling like M50, pretty good midrange for the price, highs are significantly rolled off with the default foam inserts which can easily be removed but will most likely make it too bright sounding for most people and the upper bass/lower midrange is a bit elevated resulting in a more warmish approach but not to the point it's too unbalanced in this regard so you'd start loosing a lot of details and such (maybe some yea but nothing of significant matter when we talk about $50~60 headphones).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/4/11 at 10:24ampost #10 of 246/4/11 at 7:35pmThread Starter
Yeah, since I have a fairly large head and I wear glasses, a tight fit wouldn't really work for me... What about the Sony XB500's? I was considering those as a backup plan in case the burn in doesn't help with the HD515's. I'm not really so concerned about the fact that I'd look goofy with them on :Ppost #11 of 246/4/11 at 7:38pmpost #12 of 246/4/11 at 7:40pmQuote:
They have amazing bass...but people may laugh at you (if you wear them on public)
just my opinion.post #13 of 246/4/11 at 8:31pmThread Starter
I've only recently found out how hard it is to satisfy my musical needs considering I listen to just about everything :P One thing I've noticed about the HD515's is the instrumental separation (or whatever term you guys might have for that) is AMAZING. That really helps with stuff like rock and metalcore. The highs and mids are also really well-done with the HD515's. The main things I don't like about them are 1. The bass lacks a kind of punch to it, and 2. Since they're open, sound can come in and get out very easily. I'm concerned about the instrumental separation and the highs/mids with the XB500's. And I really hate not being able to try them before I buy them -.-
Edited by Geo212 - 6/5/11 at 7:26ampost #14 of 246/5/11 at 4:13pmThread Starter
If I go, say, $20 more than my budget, what kind of balance can I get? I'd go with the XB500's, but it's sounding like there too much bass with them (yes, I'm very picky...). Something with clear highs/mids, tight bass, et cetera. Or do you need to spend major bucks to get that kind of balance? I listened to some of my favorites with my friend's Beyerdynamics DT 990's, and WOW... But I'm not spending more than $300 for those...
- I'm looking for advice on cans within a $60-ish price range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › What's Next?? 41 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 2 minutes ago
- › Experience with Vodool Bluetooth In-Ear? 3 minutes ago
- › Computer Speakers Recommendation for $200-300 price range. 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 4 minutes ago
- › New Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter ($39) - an official... 5 minutes ago
- › What should I buy for my first sett of pcfi solution? 6 minutes ago
- › Who are you going to vote for? 6 minutes ago
- › Chord DAVE by Currawong
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...