Yes, the title explains pretty much everything. I tried the Sennheiser HD515's, and though the highs and mids are great the bass is lacking (when I listen to stuff like Bassnectar, Skrillex, deadmau5, or other stuff like that, bass is very important to me). I use the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000's for listening to my music on the computer, and I'm looking for a similar sound signature but with slightly better highs/mids (those cost us $50, so there has to be something better). The bass is perfect with the LX-3000's, or at least for my tastes. I really don't mind whether the cans are open or closed, though I've been told that closed cans are able to output better bass. Also, I prefer buying within the USA. Help is much appreciated!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K81DJ Akg Closed-Back Folding Dj Headphonetagged by System, 6/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
- productJVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphonetagged by System, 6/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/6/11
- productPioneer SE-M390 High Performance Ported AV Over-Ear Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 6/6/11
- productSennheiser HD 515 Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need to buy within the hour budget £60 Last post on 4/11/11 at 2:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use Last post on 8/5/12 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First over ear heaphones help. Last post on 10/6/11 at 7:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for first headphones Last post on 9/19/11 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/11/17
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
These are okay headphones if you can get them for a cheap price (sub £90 ) but probably aren't worth any more than that. Their build quality is solid, despite all the plastic used, and they can be...
I'm looking for advice on cans within a $60-ish price range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 246/3/11 at 7:56pmpost #3 of 246/3/11 at 8:01pmpost #4 of 246/3/11 at 8:04pmpost #5 of 246/3/11 at 8:13pmThread Starter
Thanks for the suggestions! I accidentally left out one important part of this, though... I listen to music on the go pretty much all the time, so I'd like decent portability, too. Some of those models just look massive :Ppost #6 of 246/4/11 at 7:47amThread Starterpost #7 of 246/4/11 at 7:56ampost #8 of 246/4/11 at 10:03am
I'd second the AKG K81DJ recommendation. Quite bass-heavy, very portable, pretty sturdy, and the isolation is outstanding. Also note for shopping purposes that the K518DJ and K518LE are identical, to my knowledge, except that the LE has a one meter cord, which may or may not be to your liking.post #9 of 246/4/11 at 10:10am
+1 for K81 / K518 DJ (they are the same, K518 is newer and all black and ofc there's the LE versions with shorter cable, 1.2m vs 2.5m and different colors) suggestion if portability matters too.
When looking for bass & portability & isolation around $50~60 mark these won't dissappoint but be aware of the comfort, would probably need headband stretching as otherwise the clamping is very intense unless you got a very small head. The weak point of this headphone is the soundstage/imaging though, but it's also very forward sounding which often leads to a more closed-in feeling like M50, pretty good midrange for the price, highs are significantly rolled off with the default foam inserts which can easily be removed but will most likely make it too bright sounding for most people and the upper bass/lower midrange is a bit elevated resulting in a more warmish approach but not to the point it's too unbalanced in this regard so you'd start loosing a lot of details and such (maybe some yea but nothing of significant matter when we talk about $50~60 headphones).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/4/11 at 10:24ampost #10 of 246/4/11 at 7:35pmThread Starter
Yeah, since I have a fairly large head and I wear glasses, a tight fit wouldn't really work for me... What about the Sony XB500's? I was considering those as a backup plan in case the burn in doesn't help with the HD515's. I'm not really so concerned about the fact that I'd look goofy with them on :Ppost #11 of 246/4/11 at 7:38pmpost #12 of 246/4/11 at 7:40pmQuote:
They have amazing bass...but people may laugh at you (if you wear them on public)
just my opinion.post #13 of 246/4/11 at 8:31pmThread Starter
I've only recently found out how hard it is to satisfy my musical needs considering I listen to just about everything :P One thing I've noticed about the HD515's is the instrumental separation (or whatever term you guys might have for that) is AMAZING. That really helps with stuff like rock and metalcore. The highs and mids are also really well-done with the HD515's. The main things I don't like about them are 1. The bass lacks a kind of punch to it, and 2. Since they're open, sound can come in and get out very easily. I'm concerned about the instrumental separation and the highs/mids with the XB500's. And I really hate not being able to try them before I buy them -.-
Edited by Geo212 - 6/5/11 at 7:26ampost #14 of 246/5/11 at 4:13pmThread Starter
If I go, say, $20 more than my budget, what kind of balance can I get? I'd go with the XB500's, but it's sounding like there too much bass with them (yes, I'm very picky...). Something with clear highs/mids, tight bass, et cetera. Or do you need to spend major bucks to get that kind of balance? I listened to some of my favorites with my friend's Beyerdynamics DT 990's, and WOW... But I'm not spending more than $300 for those...
- I'm looking for advice on cans within a $60-ish price range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 3 headphones, i want bass, easy question 1 minute ago
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X1 II (2nd Gen) w/ Bluetooth! 2 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear