Yes, the title explains pretty much everything. I tried the Sennheiser HD515's, and though the highs and mids are great the bass is lacking (when I listen to stuff like Bassnectar, Skrillex, deadmau5, or other stuff like that, bass is very important to me). I use the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000's for listening to my music on the computer, and I'm looking for a similar sound signature but with slightly better highs/mids (those cost us $50, so there has to be something better). The bass is perfect with the LX-3000's, or at least for my tastes. I really don't mind whether the cans are open or closed, though I've been told that closed cans are able to output better bass. Also, I prefer buying within the USA. Help is much appreciated!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K81DJ Akg Closed-Back Folding Dj Headphonetagged by System, 6/6/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
- productJVC HARX900 High-Grade Full-Size Headphonetagged by System, 6/6/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 6/6/11
- productPioneer SE-M390 High Performance Ported AV Over-Ear Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 6/6/11
- productSennheiser HD 515 Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 6/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- Need help to get headphones - Novice in Head-Fi land.... Last post on 2/19/12 at 1:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need to buy within the hour budget £60 Last post on 4/11/11 at 2:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Finding Comfortable Headphones for Daily 10+ Hour Use Last post on 8/5/12 at 1:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- First over ear heaphones help. Last post on 10/6/11 at 7:20pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Recommendations for first headphones Last post on 9/19/11 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
So, first off, I must say that for 200 dollars (or 170, in my case, for a unit that was previously a store-display model), you CANNOT go wrong with this superb little DAP. The soundstage and...
I bought a pair of these for a real steal (used, for 70 bucks, on Amazon) earlier this month and I am LOVING them more than almost any other purchase I've made in my life. They sound amazing. ....
This is my second round with these "holy grail" of headphones. First time around I was just laughing at it's meager power capability. The sound was good, but not mind blowing. Zero sub bass...
First of all, I’d like to thank iBasso for sending me a review sample of the D14. iBasso have really established themselves as a big name in portable audio devices and after reviewing both their...
Introduction: The whole reason I purchased these was because of jekostas review of the Bette 8MM 1+1 Hybrid: The 10MM version is going to mirror a lot of the 8MM, though I do not have the...
I'm looking for advice on cans within a $60-ish price range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 246/3/11 at 7:56pmpost #3 of 246/3/11 at 8:01pmpost #4 of 246/3/11 at 8:04pmpost #5 of 246/3/11 at 8:13pmThread Starter
Thanks for the suggestions! I accidentally left out one important part of this, though... I listen to music on the go pretty much all the time, so I'd like decent portability, too. Some of those models just look massive :Ppost #6 of 246/4/11 at 7:47amThread Starterpost #7 of 246/4/11 at 7:56ampost #8 of 246/4/11 at 10:03am
I'd second the AKG K81DJ recommendation. Quite bass-heavy, very portable, pretty sturdy, and the isolation is outstanding. Also note for shopping purposes that the K518DJ and K518LE are identical, to my knowledge, except that the LE has a one meter cord, which may or may not be to your liking.post #9 of 246/4/11 at 10:10am
+1 for K81 / K518 DJ (they are the same, K518 is newer and all black and ofc there's the LE versions with shorter cable, 1.2m vs 2.5m and different colors) suggestion if portability matters too.
When looking for bass & portability & isolation around $50~60 mark these won't dissappoint but be aware of the comfort, would probably need headband stretching as otherwise the clamping is very intense unless you got a very small head. The weak point of this headphone is the soundstage/imaging though, but it's also very forward sounding which often leads to a more closed-in feeling like M50, pretty good midrange for the price, highs are significantly rolled off with the default foam inserts which can easily be removed but will most likely make it too bright sounding for most people and the upper bass/lower midrange is a bit elevated resulting in a more warmish approach but not to the point it's too unbalanced in this regard so you'd start loosing a lot of details and such (maybe some yea but nothing of significant matter when we talk about $50~60 headphones).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/4/11 at 10:24ampost #10 of 246/4/11 at 7:35pmThread Starter
Yeah, since I have a fairly large head and I wear glasses, a tight fit wouldn't really work for me... What about the Sony XB500's? I was considering those as a backup plan in case the burn in doesn't help with the HD515's. I'm not really so concerned about the fact that I'd look goofy with them on :Ppost #11 of 246/4/11 at 7:38pmpost #12 of 246/4/11 at 7:40pmQuote:
They have amazing bass...but people may laugh at you (if you wear them on public)
just my opinion.post #13 of 246/4/11 at 8:31pmThread Starter
I've only recently found out how hard it is to satisfy my musical needs considering I listen to just about everything :P One thing I've noticed about the HD515's is the instrumental separation (or whatever term you guys might have for that) is AMAZING. That really helps with stuff like rock and metalcore. The highs and mids are also really well-done with the HD515's. The main things I don't like about them are 1. The bass lacks a kind of punch to it, and 2. Since they're open, sound can come in and get out very easily. I'm concerned about the instrumental separation and the highs/mids with the XB500's. And I really hate not being able to try them before I buy them -.-
Edited by Geo212 - 6/5/11 at 7:26ampost #14 of 246/5/11 at 4:13pmThread Starter
If I go, say, $20 more than my budget, what kind of balance can I get? I'd go with the XB500's, but it's sounding like there too much bass with them (yes, I'm very picky...). Something with clear highs/mids, tight bass, et cetera. Or do you need to spend major bucks to get that kind of balance? I listened to some of my favorites with my friend's Beyerdynamics DT 990's, and WOW... But I'm not spending more than $300 for those...
- I'm looking for advice on cans within a $60-ish price range.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 15 seconds ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 17 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 4 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 25 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 4 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 4 minutes ago
- › Review- VPI Nomad Turntable 12 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 12 minutes ago
- › Jays q-JAYS & s-JAYS, Prototype impressions 12 minutes ago
- › FS; Sennheiser HD598 mint! Less than 2 hours on em! 13 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by goodyfresh
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by goodyfresh
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by snellemin
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by lin0003
- › Bette 10MM 1+1 Hybrid Wood Black by BloodyPenguin
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by sk2290
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3