Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE215 IEM Issues - Cutting out audio?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SE215 IEM Issues - Cutting out audio?

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

To all the Shure SE215 owners -

 

Have any of you had issues with the Shure SE215 where the audio cuts out with the cables in and turned at a certain angle?

I'm on my second pair now and the issues have persisted due to the cable itself more than the IEM. I've tried swapping the left cable with the right and the issue seems to follow the left cable.

 

The same thing happened with my first pair too except with the right cable.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's starting to become more of an issue for me and I'm about ready to just make the upgrade to the Westone 2 or 3 because of how ridiculous the SE215 cables are becoming for me.

post #2 of 31

I have experienced the exact same problem. It started out happening to the left side, and immediately right side as well, but always more frequently on the left.

My stupid solution is to turn the cable a certain way, then try to bend the memory wire to the new direction and it improved significantly(still cuts out audio, but much less often). 

 

ClieOS seem to have found the root of this connection problem, however, i don't dare to try to fix it myself.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions/780#post_7472005

post #3 of 31

Shure's are well known for breaking cables, I have a pair of 530's in my draw with a broken cable.

post #4 of 31

You guys should read my post at Shure 215 first impression. I returned 3 clear se215 with normal cable and three of them have broken down within 3 months. I am seriously thinking of exchanging for a completely different headphone. 

post #5 of 31
Thread Starter 

Both 2 of mine have had issues now and Earphone Solutions has been kind enough to refund my shipping... I've decided to just return the SE215 outright and buy the Westone 3. I can't stand these replacable snappy cables. They're awful.

post #6 of 31

I just returned my SE215s tonight as the left side went out. An hour or two ago they were fine. Flipped the cables around, both sides work with the other side, and I cleaned them. I have like 3 days left so I decided to just return them rather than have them repaired.

post #7 of 31

I don't think the problem is isolated to the 215 since the cables are shared across the entire new platform.  I have the se535.  On my 1st replacement cable after the original died after a couple of weeks.  It too cuts out (the right earpiece), but when I turn my head to the left.  I may try ClieOS's "mod"
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamang View Post

To all the Shure SE215 owners -

 

Have any of you had issues with the Shure SE215 where the audio cuts out with the cables in and turned at a certain angle?

I'm on my second pair now and the issues have persisted due to the cable itself more than the IEM. I've tried swapping the left cable with the right and the issue seems to follow the left cable.

post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4R View Post

I don't think the problem is isolated to the 215 since the cables are shared across the entire new platform.  I have the se535.  On my 1st replacement cable after the original died after a couple of weeks.  It too cuts out (the right earpiece), but when I turn my head to the left.  I may try ClieOS's "mod"
 


Yeah My 535's Left cable was Half DOA. I sent the whole thing back and the new set is perfect. They must have had a bad initial run. But these new cables seem 10X better than my past 530 POS. I had 4 pairs that the cable died. If Shure wasn't so outstanding with their customer Service I may have gone elsewhere

 

post #9 of 31

I have shure se215 here, no issue with cables or everything. This is a solid cable + replaceable. With the given price and sound quality + replaceable feature this is AWSOME!

post #10 of 31


And how long  have you had them? This is kind of missing the point you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheus View Post

I have shure se215 here, no issue with cables or everything. This is a solid cable + replaceable. With the given price and sound quality + replaceable feature this is AWSOME!



 

post #11 of 31

I tried the ClieOS fix. Well, a variant of it since I don't have the tool ClieOS used.  Instead of the pin inside the housing, nudged the pin on the cable which was causing the problem.  Ever-so-lightly nudged it off center.  Looking at it you can't even tell if it moved at all.

 

The right side doesn't cut out anymore, even when I go running with the 535.  So I don't have to buy a new cable.  If it works for the se535 cable, it MIGHT work for the 215 too.  Try at your own risk.

 

I used the tiny clippers from a Victorinox Army Knife.  The grey tipped thing that slides out from the housing.


Finally can go back to enjoying the music.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertasdfg24 View Post

ClieOS seem to have found the root of this connection problem, however, i don't dare to try to fix it myself.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions/780#post_7472005



 

post #12 of 31

I am having this exact issue. When I turn my head to the left, the left channel cuts out for a moment. I can also cause this by moving the cable while holding the earphone.

 

It's unfortunate that this is happening with so many users. I'm loving the sound and build quality of these earphones. $99 is a huge deal. The design, unfortunately, has drawbacks. Since I have an extended warranty from Guitar center, I will try a replacement. If the replacement starts acting up, I will try the pin bending mod. I'll post an update.

post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punnisher View Post

I am having this exact issue. When I turn my head to the left, the left channel cuts out for a moment. I can also cause this by moving the cable while holding the earphone.


I just got myself the 215.  This new driver is pretty darn amazing.  I can't enjoy the 535 with the foam tips.  There's no bass slam.  I have to use the silicone tri-flange cut down with the big flange trimmed out in order to get any bass.  Then it sounds amazing.  The 215 just rocks right out of the box with the foam tips.  Plenty of bass slam.  Just the right amount of treble.

AND

The cable is signifcantly better than the cable that came with the transparent shelled 535 (in my humble opinion).  The important thing is that the one I have is not cutting out.  It doesn't have the weird braided feeling texture.  It's not as microphonic and much softer/pliable to the touch.  It is however thicker when measured with a caliper vs the 535 cable (before the y-split).

 

Shure has a winner here.

 

 

 

post #14 of 31

I ended up trying the pin adjustment mod. I put slight pressure on the pin, which changed the alignment just enough. No more audio cutting out. I'm glad it was that easy. Plus I didn't void my warranty because it's unnoticeable. smily_headphones1.gif

post #15 of 31
That's great to know! The pin push method works, verified by a second party.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Shure SE215 IEM Issues - Cutting out audio?