Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why is the HD650 'boring'?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why is the HD650 'boring'? - Page 4

post #46 of 88

I found them boring until I switched amps and upgraded it's cable (to something cheap, but good). I've found the HD-650 really does benefit from a better amp, but to a point. I almost got them to sound like my HD-598, but with a small soundstage. No, I didn't plan it that way normal_smile%20.gif

 

It seems like 90% of headphones could be labeled as boring to different people and it all just comes down to preferences. You either like a somewhat dark headphone or something that's fairly bright. I'm basically in between, like the K601 or HD-598.


Edited by tdockweiler - 5/31/11 at 12:22pm
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post



Less soundstage than some closed headphones?  That does not sound right at all.  What amp did you use with the HD650 when you had them?



Headroom Desktop, Lyr, and E9. They had less soundstage than my D7000 and DT880 and far less than the AD700, DT990, HD598, etc. The only headphone I tested alongside them that they beat in soundstage was the D2000, which comes as no surprise. I was already disappointed because that's what I wanted most out of them, but the "veil" killed it for me.

post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post

Headroom Desktop, Lyr, and E9. They had less soundstage than my D7000 and DT880 and far less than the AD700, DT990, HD598, etc. The only headphone I tested alongside them that they beat in soundstage was the D2000, which comes as no surprise. I was already disappointed because that's what I wanted most out of them, but the "veil" killed it for me.


Outside Grados and AKG's K701/2, I don't think any headpones has garned such conflicting impression from users.  It just ups the intrigue for me.  I have try these guys one of these days to hear what all the hoopla is about.

post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital-Pride View Post


Outside Grados and AKG's K701/2, I don't think any headpones has garned such conflicting impression from users.  It just ups the intrigue for me.  I have try these guys one of these days to hear what all the hoopla is about.



That's actually why I tried them in the first place. I knew deep down they'd probably be terrible for me, but they were so highly praised I had to try em. 'Course I was right, and they were extremely disappointing. The only Sennheiser praise I can understand is the HD800 for its target audience.

post #50 of 88

I'm pretty disappointed with the HD800 as well as I find them too bright with a fake soundstage. I prefer the LCD-2 as far as planars are concerned and the T1 for dynamics.

post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasewel View Post

I'm pretty disappointed with the HD800 as well as I find them too bright with a fake soundstage. I prefer the LCD-2 as far as planars are concerned and the T1 for dynamics.



I agree about the HD800, they're definitely supernatural versus the natural T1. The soundstage is unbelievable, making it perfect for the type of people who usually buy it (listening to classical and similar genres) but is way too distant with a lot of music.

post #52 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post



It's considered boring for aggressive and energetic music, not Classical.
 

 


I was not talking about classical, but jazz. Both can be "aggressive," but that is a matter if musical preferences, really.

But the HD650 are pretty good with LedZep, Deep Purple,  Nirvana etc. I haven't listened to Metallica or Sepultura through the hd650's, though.

 

 

 

post #53 of 88

perhaps im being a stick in the mud here but instead of harping on what aint, im totally enjoying what is. & what the HD650 is & does better than anything else i've heard are sweet smooth lush mids. the HD650 allow me to kickback & chillout to music instead of analyzing & worrying about my gear, quality of recording material or even genres.

 

mite be a new concept to some but i can chill for hours with the HD650 on my head wearing nothing but smiles on my face. what more can a person ask for?wink_face.gif

post #54 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiebabie View Post

perhaps im being a stick in the mud here but instead of harping on what aint, im totally enjoying what is. & what the HD650 is & does better than anything else i've heard are sweet smooth lush mids. the HD650 allow me to kickback & chillout to music instead of analyzing & worrying about my gear, quality of recording material or even genres.

 

mite be a new concept to some but i can chill for hours with the HD650 on my head wearing nothing but smiles on my face. what more can a person ask for?wink_face.gif


Totally agree. The HD 650s are great cans for those of us who simply appreciate music. I've listened to almost every genre with them and they never disappointed.
post #55 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiebabie View Post

perhaps im being a stick in the mud here but instead of harping on what aint, im totally enjoying what is. & what the HD650 is & does better than anything else i've heard are sweet smooth lush mids. the HD650 allow me to kickback & chillout to music instead of analyzing & worrying about my gear, quality of recording material or even genres.

 

mite be a new concept to some but i can chill for hours with the HD650 on my head wearing nothing but smiles on my face. what more can a person ask for?wink_face.gif


It's not like that isn't achievable with tons of other headphones (colored more often then not)... but regardless, enjoy.

 

post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post





That's actually why I tried them in the first place. I knew deep down they'd probably be terrible for me, but they were so highly praised I had to try em. 'Course I was right, and they were extremely disappointing. The only Sennheiser praise I can understand is the HD800 for its target audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post




It's not like that isn't achievable with tons of other headphones (colored more often then not)... but regardless, enjoy.

 


Your tears, delicious, blah blah blah.
post #57 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Permagrin View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiebabie View Post

perhaps im being a stick in the mud here but instead of harping on what aint, im totally enjoying what is. & what the HD650 is & does better than anything else i've heard are sweet smooth lush mids. the HD650 allow me to kickback & chillout to music instead of analyzing & worrying about my gear, quality of recording material or even genres.

 

mite be a new concept to some but i can chill for hours with the HD650 on my head wearing nothing but smiles on my face. what more can a person ask for?wink_face.gif




Totally agree. The HD 650s are great cans for those of us who simply appreciate music. I've listened to almost every genre with them and they never disappointed.


 



Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiebabie View Post

perhaps im being a stick in the mud here but instead of harping on what aint, im totally enjoying what is. & what the HD650 is & does better than anything else i've heard are sweet smooth lush mids. the HD650 allow me to kickback & chillout to music instead of analyzing & worrying about my gear, quality of recording material or even genres.

 

mite be a new concept to some but i can chill for hours with the HD650 on my head wearing nothing but smiles on my face. what more can a person ask for?wink_face.gif



I love my HD 650 but for God sake, put at least some underwear or something on while listening to the music. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post




It's not like that isn't achievable with tons of other headphones (colored more often then not)... but regardless, enjoy.

 



I certainly have been enjoying  the HD650 with Diana Krall CDs. That's solely reason why I bought the HD650 for. I think that I am in love.

post #58 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post





I agree about the HD800, they're definitely supernatural versus the natural T1. The soundstage is unbelievable, making it perfect for the type of people who usually buy it (listening to classical and similar genres) but is way too distant with a lot of music.


Supernatural? eek.gif biggrin.gif

 

post #59 of 88

The general consensus seems to be that when the HD650 is called boring it's because it doesn't have elevated, peaky, exaggerated treble.  But the LCD-2 doesn't either and no one thinks the LCD-2 is boring.  I love the frequency response of the HD650, I have no problem with the amount of treble, but I do find them boring.  It's something else.  It's a transient speed or decay issue (or something else?), which I think only goes away (or gets much better) with heaps and heaps of power.  I only ever really like them at meets.  They always seem like a headphone I would really like because of their frequency response, and I buy them but just can't get into them, probably because I've never had an amp capable of giving them life. 

 

Also, I find the HD600 to be just as boring and they have more treble.  So I don't think this "boring" quality has anything to do with treble or frequency response. 


Edited by rhythmdevils - 5/31/11 at 8:17pm
post #60 of 88

They seem to have a veil that makes them sound muddy and distant and this characteristic didn't seem to go away even when running balanced through some high-end amps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why is the HD650 'boring'?