Sony Hybrid vs Hybrid Clone (Seller: Lostearbuds)
The Sony Hybrids are really popular on these forums because of the great seal they can product with a wider audience of people. The only problem is that these tips cost money, 10 dollars for four pairs. That's 2.50 a pair. Some have resorted to these clones because they are cheaper (9 pairs for 7 bucks) and seem to be of good quality. There are some minor differences between them though.
- Thickness and material: The clones seem to be much thicker in the exterior (black) silicone area. They are also less flexible compared to the genuine tips.
- Size and height: The genuine Sony Hybrid tips are shorter than the clones (most noticeable in the medium and large sizes). This can change the insertion depth.
- Fit: Since the thickness and size of the clones are different, this can mess with the fit and seal. I found that I was going one size smaller than what I normally use (medium -> small) to get a seal that was about the same as the genuine. It also shifted the headphone response towards the treble by a hair.
- Nozzle color: the nozzles are the same color, but just a slightly different tone from one another. The reals are more vividly colored.
- The nose of each tip is exactly the same shape though, which helps if the genuine tips created a good seal for you.
Real tips on the left, clones on the right. These are the tips rightside up, it's harder to tell the size difference this way though.
Tips upside down, this view is easier to tell the size differences as the clones are obviously taller than the clones. Real left, clones right. Sorry for the blurriness
The nozzles are differently colored. Reals are more vivid in color. Real on the left, clones right. Sorry for the blurriness.