or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which headphones represent the best qualities of each brand (or series)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which headphones represent the best qualities of each brand (or series)? - Page 2

post #16 of 25

imo

shure would be the srh440 (better value then the srh840 from what i heard)

 

audio technica would be the ath m50

 

sennheiser would be the hd598

 

akg woudl be the k701

 

denon would be the ah d1001

 

these i chose from reading around these forums.

 

i sorted them for price to performance.

 

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 

 Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

 

 

I honestly think Grado's entry should be the SR-60. I mean it's most people's starting point, that or the 80's but they more or less sound the same with tiny bits improved to it, but the SR-60 DOES in fact sound like 80 percent of an RS-1. 



Now RS-1 costs like $700. Meanwhile you can get SR60 for like $70. If that is true than what you are saying is that people who buy RS-1 pay extra 900% money to get 20% sound improvement :)

post #18 of 25

I agree with case except on the Sennheiser; IMO it should be the HD555

post #19 of 25

 

Oh absolutely! People know that and its perfectly acceptable in the headphone world! You get much better build quality at the same time... I mean Grado also needs more of a margin on those higher end cans too you know.... it's not like people just buy up RS-1's every day! 

 

In fact Mr. Grado himself said the SR-80 model was 85 percent of the RS-1, that wasn't my personal finding since the highest model I've ever listened to was the RS-2i for a while. I've been digging around for 15 minutes so you'll have to go on my word for now =)

 

I mean the guy spending 2k on a tube amp isn't getting 4x what I'd be getting tangibly in a solid state amp but both of us completely understand why things cost the way they do haha.


Quote:
Originally Posted by naurispunk View Post


Now RS-1 costs like $700. Meanwhile you can get SR60 for like $70. If that is true than what you are saying is that people who buy RS-1 pay extra 900% money to get 20% sound improvement :)



 

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

WHOA WHOA WHOA

 

The K501 to anybody who knows it, is hands down better than all the others in it's name. I've heard it and it was leagues ahead of the 701, I just don't understand what happened between the two. Sadly I like the K240 more than I like the K701. It was my first good headphone and it's still one of my favorites. The 701 matched with the wrong music, source/amp, can be an absolute nightmare. They can be the greatest if you figured all that out, but honestly hardly anybody gets it right on their first try. That coupled with the ridiculous amount of burn-in they require to sound proper means I'm never going back tot hem. The 501's could be powered by a portable amp and you'd be just dandy.

 

I honestly think Grado's entry should be the SR-60. I mean it's most people's starting point, that or the 80's but they more or less sound the same with tiny bits improved to it, but the SR-60 DOES in fact sound like 80 percent of an RS-1. 

 

Sennheiser's HD 555 got me into the brand. I think it's fairly accurate of what they can do.

 

Denon anything is good. I love their IEM's. cans, and I like how they look too. Their receivers are top notch for simple home entertainment setups as well.

 

 

 

I owned the K400, K401, K500, K501, and K601 at the same time and, by far, the K501 was the worst sounding and most uncomfortable.
 

 

post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 


When you say that it was K501 "worst sounding and most uncomfortable " are you saying that they were crap or that you prefered other ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton View Post



 

I owned the K400, K401, K500, K501, and K601 at the same time and, by far, the K501 was the worst sounding and most uncomfortable.
 

 



 

post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 

I only own Grado SR-80i and the reason why these probably are my last Grados headphones is that I just can not stand the fact that they are build like crappy children's toy. I like how they look though.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

 

Oh absolutely! People know that and its perfectly acceptable in the headphone world! You get much better build quality at the same time... I mean Grado also needs more of a margin on those higher end cans too you know.... it's not like people just buy up RS-1's every day! 

 

In fact Mr. Grado himself said the SR-80 model was 85 percent of the RS-1, that wasn't my personal finding since the highest model I've ever listened to was the RS-2i for a while. I've been digging around for 15 minutes so you'll have to go on my word for now =)

 

I mean the guy spending 2k on a tube amp isn't getting 4x what I'd be getting tangibly in a solid state amp but both of us completely understand why things cost the way they do haha.




 



 

post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 

Updated description with the summary of results posted so far.

 

 

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurispunk View Post


When you say that it was K501 "worst sounding and most uncomfortable " are you saying that they were crap or that you prefered other ones?



 


They aren't crap, they sounded the most unbalanced of the 5 to me with very rolled off bass.  Both the signature and the discomfort are caused by the thick, stiff pads.  If I switched pads, they sounded pretty much like the others.  The differences between all 5 are very subtle if they have the same pads on them.

 

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurispunk View Post

I only own Grado SR-80i and the reason why these probably are my last Grados headphones is that I just can not stand the fact that they are build like crappy children's toy. I like how they look though.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post






 





 



I mean the guy spending 2k on a tube amp isn't getting 4x what I'd be getting tangibly in a solid state amp but both of us completely understand why things cost the way they do haha.










Digging out old thread here... But I agree, i don't feel inclined to upgrade to any of higher end Grados with the build the have going on right now... They really should step up their game.
Interesting topic... I wonder why it stopped prematurely
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Which headphones represent the best qualities of each brand (or series)?