Are there any devices that exist that I could use to temporarily close off my headphones? I like the open sound 90% of the time, but i'd love to be able to seal them off temporarily the other 10%.
Related Forum Threads
- Need help to choose a headphone. Last post on 10/24/11 at 2:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Questions about Ultrasone 650 / 550 (and others) Last post on 10/8/11 at 4:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Considering buying Grado, question for anyone that owns them. Last post on 10/2/11 at 9:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado Diminishing Returns Last post on 9/14/11 at 6:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Questions about the Sennheiser HD 595's Last post on 8/22/11 at 7:10pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The Fiil Diva headphone is probably one of the most intuitive headphones south of $200. They have features that make them almost 3-4 headphones in one, currently they can be had for about $129 on...
Recently My Noble 5 developed a rattle on the left side, so I sent them back to Noble, in return they upgraded me to the Dulce Bass, I've had these for 3 days now and let me tell you what a step up...
My first Head-Fi review. Pledged for these on Kickstarter this year. I own full range electrostatic speakers (Acoustat 3) and electret headphones (Audio Technica AT706). The Mitchell & Johnson...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION I didn't really know about PaiAudio at all until very recently when I was approached by Alex Fan...
Vibro Labs Aria (universal) – initial impressions In my travels on Head-Fi over the last year or so, Vibro Labs is a name I had heard bandied around in various forums, mainly as makers of...
Temporarily closing open canspost #1 of 145/29/11 at 11:58amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 145/29/11 at 12:47pm
Just out of curiosity, what headphones are you using and how do they sound "sealed"?
I have the SR-225i's and when I close them I get a very bad, old AM radio sound, it's just really bad. I'm interested to see how other open headphones could sound better sealed, but I don't know much about open headphones. For what it's worth I seal them with my hands, but have used other means and got the same sound (tried it just to mess around and see the difference)post #3 of 145/29/11 at 3:00pmThread Starter
I'm using 595s and they sound a bit harsher and colder with my hands on them. The soundstage seems to move inwards, things in general sound a bit off. The thing is, your hands are composed of a different material than the inside of closed cans (i suspect), and (at least for me) hands don't isolate very well. I'd like to see some specialized earmuffs that could go around a pair of open cans and isolate from the outside, at least a little bit. Sometimes the vacuum is just loud enough that it impedes my sound quality more than sealing my headphones.post #4 of 145/29/11 at 5:37pm
It's difficult to close off an open headphone. Closed headphones are specifically designed to handle the acoustics involved. For the most part you'll get poor results. I've read where people on Head-Fi have tried with varying success depending on the headphone and method. I doubt you'll get the same sound quality out of the Senn trying it and will probably degrade the sound to a point where you'll dislike it. I think a different headphone would be a better alternative. Maybe the Shure 440 would be a fairly inexpensive way to go for the times you need isolation?post #5 of 145/29/11 at 6:02pmpost #6 of 145/29/11 at 7:11pmpost #7 of 145/29/11 at 7:21pm
You may be surprised to discover that the transient sound you're trying to block out comes as much from the sides - because of the transparency of the cushions - as from the back.post #8 of 145/29/11 at 11:15pmThread Starter
Hm. Perhaps it'd need to go around the earpads too. I'm thinking I could cut off the ankle of a sock, put the opening intially around my cans, recut the sock at the right size, and then coat with an appropriate amount of duct tape. I'll try it tommorow and post pics if it sounds okay and is anywhere near effective.post #9 of 145/30/11 at 2:00pm
If you want to close it up so you can't hear anything around you, your best bet is professional sound foam, highly absorbent material. It will block transient noises while leaving the smallest footprint on the presentation.post #10 of 145/30/11 at 2:16pm
OP, one important thing: all mods are a trade off. If you want more bass, you get a treble roll-off.you close something, you lose the soundstage. If you add more detail, you lose some bass impact. You will never see a mod 100% approved, and most people mod something a lot only to come back and say "I like the original better". Of course something might get really much better, but there's always something you lose.
As for closing up cans, that comes with another problem: open headphones are meant to be open, closed are supposed to be closed. If you cover the grille from an open headphone, you will most likely screw the sound a lot. It's just that they're not meant to do that. I've never heard of a headphone versatile enough to sound equally fine closed and open, and it's pretty much impossible to do so while keeping the same sound signature. Would be funny to see, though.post #11 of 145/30/11 at 2:24pmThread Starterpost #12 of 145/30/11 at 3:00pmThread Starter
So I'm beginning doing the sock mod, initial impressions, the sock manages to attenuate some sound without sacrificing too much quality (based on tests on the right ear). My socks are a bit large for this, ideally youll want ankle-cut socks, and youll want a "small" size i think.post #13 of 145/30/11 at 3:45pm
Socks are mostly wool and cotton, if I'm correct. They won't block much. If you try something up the fake-leathe pads you might be more impressed.
Or you can have some sound quality with a lot of isolation: IEMs!!!
Edited by LizardKing1 - 5/30/11 at 3:47pmpost #14 of 145/30/11 at 4:00pmThread Starter
I already own a pair, i've been spoiled by the 595's comfort, jamming plastic earpieces into my ears no longer passes as "acceptable". I was hopinh maybe someone's seen a specialized grill cap that snaps into the grill? Ideallyit would be plastic with about half an inch of sound reducing foam on the inside, and a laminate of some sort on the outside. Then maybe a really tiny leatherette pad to line the inside of my earcups.
Edited by ffdpmaggot - 5/30/11 at 4:02pm
- Temporarily closing open cans
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN 56 seconds ago
- › Popular Classical Music 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic Byron Series (IFA 2016) 1 minute ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 3 minutes ago
- › Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all... 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 8 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 10 minutes ago
- › Good formats for iPOD nano 11 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 12 minutes ago
- › Fiil Diva Bluetooth, Noise Cancelling Headphones by Tom22
- › Noble Audio Dulce Bass UIEM by darober2
- › Mitchell & Johnson Electrostatz (GL2) Kickstarter Edition -... by barondla
- › 3.14 MR3 Music Headphones, BA Balanced Armature Headphones with 3... by Brooko
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Jackpot77
- › Philips SHP9500 by reikoshea
- › Fostex T50RP MK3 Professional Studio Headphones, Semi-Open by reikoshea
- › Super Dolphin 6BA by RedJohn456
- › HE-5LE by audiophilehe400
- › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer by artofmanliness
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...