Hifiman has long been a darling of Head-Fi and while I've read much about its various products, I've never had an opportunity to listen to any of them. I'd pretty much decided that the next time I return to the States, I'd order a pair, but I can't seem to set myself down for a pair that would complement my other IEMs. I currently own the DBA-02 and the GR07, two great, complimentary IEMs, and I was considering getting a good pair of mid/vocal-centric IEMs. This seems to point me toward the RE262s. I'm just not sure though. I guess it's all conjecture at this point, but would the RE272 be a continuation of the RE262 sound? And would I be missing out by not trying out the 'legendary' (and cheaper) RE0?
Related Forum Threads
- Need help upgrading...looking at DBA-02, GR07, ER-4S, RE262, etc... Last post on 3/25/13 at 7:27pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- need 100-120€ IEMs Last post on 11/20/12 at 5:33am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Best sub $200 IEMs for Rock Music? Last post on 12/11/12 at 10:19am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help with my first high quality IEM purchase. Last post on 9/17/12 at 1:33pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs for deployment to Afghanistan? Last post on 7/25/12 at 12:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
Which Hifiman to get?post #1 of 75/28/11 at 9:14amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 75/28/11 at 10:37pm
hmm haven't tried RE262 or the 272 but considering that you have a DBA-02. No point getting a Re0 :)
On a side note, when I tried the DBA-02, I realised that what most head-fier said is correct. Once you get past Re0, the law of diminishing returns sets in. For almost double the price of RE0, DBA-02 doesn't seem to be double the quality but rather a refinement =ppost #3 of 75/29/11 at 6:36amThread Starter
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing. I'm also looking for IEMs that do well with amps, and the RE262 seems to fit the bill with its high impedance.post #4 of 75/29/11 at 6:51am
Don't forget the RE-ZERO as well, very solid little IEMs for their price. Though again, the fact that you already own DBA-02s applies like it does with the RE0.
At a meet recently I got a chance to hear a lot of high-end cans including Stax Omega, HD 800 and the like. At the end of the day my second favourite that I'd heard was the LCD-2, but the first was the RE-262. They were just stunningly good, and pretty much sum up exactly the kind of sound signature I like. If you want mid-centric then the 262s are pretty much up there with the SE 530s. Female vocals were just amazing. [Obviously take that with a pinch of salt, since I didn't get to spend a long time with them.]
My only problem with the RE-262s is that I don't have a pair of my own yet, though at the current stupidly low $150 price tag that could change quite quickly.post #5 of 75/29/11 at 7:17amThread Starter
My impression was that the RE ZERO was supposed to be the low impedance, higher sensitivity version of the RE0 with balanced plugs and slightly better bass. I don't nor want neither the low impedance nor the balanced plug. From what everyone's saying, the RE0/ZERO don't offer anything different from my DBAs, so I guess I'm either going with the RE262 or wait in bated breath for details of the RE272 to come out. I think ClieOS mentioned something about how the RE272 is going to have treble extension that rivals any other IEM, so that's exciting. If it retains the same mid-centric signature of the RE262, I might just get it. My main goal is to have a mid-centric IEM that also works well with a powerful amp.post #6 of 76/1/11 at 9:46ampost #7 of 76/1/11 at 6:14pm
No, I think he's trying to say it's a steal at that price. Originally the RE262s were going to be sold for 250 but Hifiman decided to cut the price to 150. The sound quality for the RE262s is great if not wonderful. If you have a good source/amp and are a fan of vocals, the RE262s are for you. I too, can vouch for the RE262s as one of Hifiman's greatest IEMs currently released.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which Hifiman to get?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 8 seconds ago
- › ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions 11 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 31 seconds ago
- › NEW 2013 Beats Studios... 33 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › My Very First Cans - HD600 (with HD650 cables) vs. HD650 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude