Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem? - Page 33

post #481 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearded man View Post

I don't think Stax is making two batchs of 009, one better for dealers and second worst for PJ.
There is one production line and I think all 009 are built with same quality.May be PJ is selling more 009 than other dealers and that is why issue is more popular on PJs headphones.

As far as I know PJ isn't a dealer, they are just a middleman broker who helps you buy the good from a Japanese retailer and have it shipped to them and then forwarded to you in the US without having to know Japanese, convert to yen, and deal with customs.  There are other services that do this like Tenso and FromJapan but they don't seem to specialize as much like PJ does.

 

This is part of the reason why dealing with PJ is not easy after the fact; they skim a little off the top (and if I had to guess they don't make a whole lot) to provide freight forwarding; warrantying products with the manufacturer is likely not the same as they are not a retailer with a existing relationship with Stax as such.


Edited by Mr.Sneis - 7/15/14 at 3:02pm
post #482 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post
 

 

Indeed, the SR-009's have seemingly spoiled me quite a bit. After living with them now for a while, I think it would be a challenge for me (at least at first) to use any other headphone as my primary headphone (I haven't heard the SR-Omega or Orpheus, but I just can't imagine either being much better - although bearded man has all three and I believe said he would choose the Orpheus if he had to choose one).

Yep, it's subjective there. Hearing the he90/hev90 Orpheus combo next to an SR-009 and KGSShv (I don't even need to evoke the BHSE or T2 here), there's no question that I prefer the latter. The Orpheus combo is lacking enough in low end and dynamics that it can't paint a complete sonic picture for me. However, I can see how others would become intoxicated by the golden midrange of that combo -- very sweet. And yes, it also renders an amazingly airy sound, better than any other headphones. Haven't heard an original Omega.

 

I also agree that getting familiar with the 009 has acted as a spoiler for most of my past favorites. For example, the Qualia -- the 009 is technically as good or better against the Qualia's strengths, and has a MUCH better midrange. I still like the L3000 for what it does (a musical blend of fat, powerful bass & thick, lush midrange, with just enough sparkle in just the right places up top to not sound hopelessly dark), but we'll see how that holds up over time. 


Edited by mulveling - 7/15/14 at 3:05pm
post #483 of 620

How do you justify such a controversial statement ? What evidence (facts) do you have?

 

I can quote at least two other high profile manufactures that have well known total driver failures, recall of headphones, cracking ear capsules, and launching products and then having to withdraw them due to fatal design flaws!!

And you criticize for a few people who have had issues. I can assure you if this were a major issue the Stax trade (dealers) would be raising hell as it costs them not only money to provide the warranty service but credibility with their customers.

  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post

 

Given their age, I would imagine that issues endemic with STAX headphones (like this channel imbalance issue) would start to show up. But maybe the imbalance problem has only been noticed on SR-009's?

post #484 of 620
My apologies complin and to anyone else, I don't know if this is an issue endemic with STAX headphones, I'm just conjecturing.
post #485 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
 

For example, the Qualia -- the 009 is technically as good or better against the Qualia's strengths, and has a MUCH better midrange. I still like the L3000 for what it does (a musical blend of fat, powerful bass & thick, lush midrange, with just enough sparkle in just the right places up top to not sound hopelessly dark), but we'll see how that holds up over time. 

 

It's so nice to have you active here again, it feels like I am on head-fi 10 years back!

post #486 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post
 

 

It's so nice to have you active here again, it feels like I am on head-fi 10 years back!

Thanks arnaud, you are too kind! Great to see familiar faces like yourself still around, too. Some of the excellent new gear/options in this hobby have certainly lit the spark for me again!

post #487 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely_Rider View Post

Hi astrostar59.

I'm using unmodded SRM-727II. Source is Lynx Hilo.

The amp is not best possible, I know, but I like it. Sound is very addictive with Hilo. I'm considering better amp, but buying it without listening first is too risky for me. Maybe, maybe some day...
normal_smile%20.gif

Couple of days with SR-009's, and I was able to hear immediately, what flaws other phones (or speakers) have in their frequency response. It was really amazing, and still is.

Yeah, super annoying how difficult it seems to be to demo some of the non-stax amps in europe...
Dropping 5k USD or more on a blind guess is something that makes me very uncomfortable, especially with the lead time on some of those units... rolleyes.gif
post #488 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackskelly View Post

So I take that you haven't had any channel imbalance problems with the SR-Omega? tongue.gif

Given their age, I would imagine that issues endemic with STAX headphones (like this channel imbalance issue) would start to show up. But maybe the imbalance problem has only been noticed on SR-009's?


I had many electrostats and never meet the problem like channel imbalance.
My old headphones looks and sounds like brand new.
post #489 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybDev View Post

Yeah, super annoying how difficult it seems to be to demo some of the non-stax amps in europe...
Dropping 5k USD or more on a blind guess is something that makes me very uncomfortable, especially with the lead time on some of those units... rolleyes.gif

I wasn't able to audition the BHSE before I bought it, I had to go with what was written about it and trust what was written, and I'm pleased I did because the BHSE gives me everything I'm looking for from an amp.
However I wasn't entirely happy with how my BHSE drove my 009's while using the stock Mullard's and SED tubes, but the PV-PH's changed that. IMO, when using the 007's the PV-PH's probably aren't necessary, but with the 009's they are, IMO.
post #490 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybDev View Post


Yeah, super annoying how difficult it seems to be to demo some of the non-stax amps in europe...
Dropping 5k USD or more on a blind guess is something that makes me very uncomfortable, especially with the lead time on some of those units... rolleyes.gif

 

You should be able to get your hands on a KGSSHV to audition.  A lot of the builders are on your side of the pond.  A KGSSHV isn't a huge wait time etc.  You either build it yourself or find a reliable builder of which there are several.  Or look on the boards for KGSS or KGSSHV or Blue Hawaii (not SE) to come up for sale.  No where near 5k for any of those and your wait should be as long as delivery will take.

 

As for the BHSE, it is an entirely different scenario.  Going to be quite a wait (although I don't think anywhere as long as this last round) and it costs a fortune.  However, many would say it is the premier amp for Stax.  Even more importantly, the parts for the current build are no longer being manufactured so Justin is digging into his stash of those Sanyo parts which are quickly running out.  In other words, in the not so distant future, the BHSE wont be made in its current incarnation.  Personally, if you can afford it, I would recommend putting down the deposit.  If you change your mind down the line, I'm sure Justin will refund you or someone would pay the deposit back to you for your spot.  I think the risk is low.  But lets say you do take delivery and actually hate it.  The fact is you could easily sell if for what you paid for it. BHSE rarely come up for sale and get snapped up quick.  So I don't know if risk is that bad as you can just sell it.  If it actually stops being built, the sky is the limit.

post #491 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

I wasn't able to audition the BHSE before I bought it, I had to go with what was written about it and trust what was written, and I'm pleased I did because the BHSE gives me everything I'm looking for from an amp.
However I wasn't entirely happy with how my BHSE drove my 009's while using the stock Mullard's and SED tubes, but the PV-PH's changed that. IMO, when using the 007's the PV-PH's probably aren't necessary, but with the 009's they are, IMO.
Yeah I bought my LLmk2 without auditioning it as well, and not the BHSE for reasons mentioned somewhere in the flamewar in that other thread... wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashem View Post

You should be able to get your hands on a KGSSHV to audition.  A lot of the builders are on your side of the pond.  A KGSSHV isn't a huge wait time etc.  You either build it yourself or find a reliable builder of which there are several.  Or look on the boards for KGSS or KGSSHV or Blue Hawaii (not SE) to come up for sale.  No where near 5k for any of those and your wait should be as long as delivery will take.

As for the BHSE, it is an entirely different scenario.  Going to be quite a wait (although I don't think anywhere as long as this last round) and it costs a fortune.  However, many would say it is the premier amp for Stax.  Even more importantly, the parts for the current build are no longer being manufactured so Justin is digging into his stash of those Sanyo parts which are quickly running out.  In other words, in the not so distant future, the BHSE wont be made in its current incarnation.  Personally, if you can afford it, I would recommend putting down the deposit.  If you change your mind down the line, I'm sure Justin will refund you or someone would pay the deposit back to you for your spot.  I think the risk is low.  But lets say you do take delivery and actually hate it.  The fact is you could easily sell if for what you paid for it. BHSE rarely come up for sale and get snapped up quick.  So I don't know if risk is that bad as you can just sell it.  If it actually stops being built, the sky is the limit.

I thought about building a KGSSHV myself, but some of the components will be expensive for me to source for a single run, others probably hard to come by?
I don't have a proper electronics workshop, and the place I know I could work on it, where they have decent equiptment, is rather far away so there would be quite some effort involved.
Not really keen on commmissioning a build at the local electronics shops either tbh.
Oh and the chassis, this I would have to outsource anyway, I'm useless in a machine shop tongue.gif
Not that I'd be putting in money or time on that without auditioning one first... I suppose I'll try to drop by RMAF/CanJam or something one year smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah but actually getting a BHSE seems to be kinda like winning the lottery, if you play long enough eventually you will get a prize... but maybe not in this lifetime rolleyes.gif
Not to mention my somewhat harsh comments in some other threads regarding how business is conducted won't be helping me at all wink.gif
post #492 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybDev View Post


I thought about building a KGSSHV myself, but some of the components will be expensive for me to source for a single run, others probably hard to come by?
I don't have a proper electronics workshop, and the place I know I could work on it, where they have decent equiptment, is rather far away so there would be quite some effort involved.
Not really keen on commmissioning a build at the local electronics shops either tbh.
Oh and the chassis, this I would have to outsource anyway, I'm useless in a machine shop tongue.gif
Not that I'd be putting in money or time on that without auditioning one first... I suppose I'll try to drop by RMAF/CanJam or something one year smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah but actually getting a BHSE seems to be kinda like winning the lottery, if you play long enough eventually you will get a prize... but maybe not in this lifetime rolleyes.gif
Not to mention my somewhat harsh comments in some other threads regarding how business is conducted won't be helping me at all wink.gif

There's a strong possibility I'll be hearing a KGSSHV along with my BHSE maybe in a month or so, and both will be used with my K-01. In using the K-01 both amps can be listened to within seconds from each other, which I think is the very best way of comparing any differences.

With the lottery there's a very slim chance of winning it. But with the BHSE, you will eventually get it if you place an order.
post #493 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgep View Post
 
Did you try counting them? You probably only need one hand if you are being conservative and doing some weighing, and no more than two hands if you are being generous. Just going to your point about forums slanting the figures and then you also say "it does seem a lot of 009s had to go back" - so what is "a lot" and how many did you count?

I counted but soon forgot. :o It's under a dozen though, which is why I still think it's not even really a problem. Besides the fact that such a costly headphone can have such a 'defect'. And most of these reports were back when Stax stopped shipping the 009's for a while(Here). That is, since 2013 til now around 7-8 reports.

It'd be much more interesting to hear from folks over in Japan. But still, the numbers are pretty damn small.


Edited by paradoxper - 7/16/14 at 9:00am
post #494 of 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearded man View Post


I had many electrostats and never meet the problem like channel imbalance.
My old headphones looks and sounds like brand new.

 

That's great to hear. :D

post #495 of 620

SR-009 was  fixed and returned home safely:)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?