Recent Images In This Thread
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 3/7/13
Related Forum Threads
- High-end Headphone Decision Last post on Today at 11:07 am in High-end Audio Forum
- **Flagship HP Mini Review** Last post on 8/4/14 at 3:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Delivery times, BHSE, Cavalli LL Mk2, EC Electra, Woo WES and "customer service". Last post on 7/13/14 at 7:06pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Best used amp for STAX 009s - SRM-006t vs SRM-323s Last post on 5/11/14 at 7:51pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Margin of diminishing returns?? Do $200 headphones sound "the same" as >$500, or... Last post on 5/21/14 at 5:01pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 8/29/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Thanks to Greed for a 10-day loan of his Ref 1 set, which I fully burnt-in and auditioned. This set had the uber cable. Super Brief Review (it's all just what my ears heard, if you love your Ref 1...
This review is going to be updated once I receive a balanced cable and use this amp in balanced operation. I figured this amp needed a proper review on here, and there is a lot of good stuff to say...
Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue,...
Schiit Ragnarok: Is It Love, or Is It Just Schiit? Introduction: This part is just to give you some background on my experience and how I’ve arrived at the Schiit Ragnarok...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem? - Page 23
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hm, I don't know if the "stax farts" are related, I get those _all_ the time and mine works perfectly still...
I bought mine from Pricejapan in Feb, 2014. I guess it is still under warranty.
I did try the discharge trick with metal wire. I tried keeping it in the desiccator for a week. (I live in a humid area)
No luck so far :-(
P.S. I have the SR-404. I left them on the table without any cover for the past 10 years. It sounds perfect.
The 007mk2 had some imbalance trouble too, not so often, but it happened.
Again, and this is my experience and did happen to many others.
If the 009 has some imbalance problem it will not cure by itself.
It will get worse by the time. I never heard of any 009 developing this problem after a longer time using.
All had this problem from start on, maybe not so easy noticeable from beginning.
Just got my Airbow SC-21 from PJ three days ago and last night, suddenly the left side sound level varies when I tilt the headphone vertically up and down when adjusting to my head. After a while, the sound is constantly loudly (without distortion) than the right side.
I put it aside and will try it out tonight, hopefully it is not another bad driver, as I have experienced withe LCD-3. Anyone with similar experience and willing to share is greatly appreciated.
The unbalance was gone when I started my audition tonight, but came again after about 20 mins, when I remove the headphone from my ears. Since then, I let it run for an hour and adjust the offset in the volume knob to compensate for the unbalance.
Judging by my hearing, the right side is set at 1.5 (base on the number indication on the volume knob) while the left side is at zero.
There is no distortion, just left side louder than right side, is this normal?
I have a similar issue with my 007s and had to replace the lead. It can happen if snagged, in my case the dog
jumped on me and landed in the cable loop!
I love Stax phones, but wonder if they should have used a plug at the headset? maybe high voltage issues....
Just got channel imbalance on my four-day-old SR-009 from PriceJapan.
It's powered by a 252S at the moment, with a KGSSHV arriving next week. I'll be able to rule out the amp then, but based on this, it sounds like it's extremely likely to be the 009 and I'm likely to be shipping it back and forth to Japan for the next few weeks at my expense to get this problem fixed on my four-day-old, $3400 flagship headphones.
Had I read this thread before jumping into the electrostatic world, I might not have.
Clearly, this problem has been going on for a while, the SR-009 isn't produced in huge quantities, and it usually happens within the first week of use. Why doesn't Stax test each pair with a week of playback first, then measure the response to make sure it's still balanced, before shipping them? Surely, that would be cheaper than all of the service requests, repairs, and reputation damage.
You might want to see if they don't recover on their own before sending them out.
I talked with Birgir inquiring about what I could do per preventative measures - nothing.
Pretty much it doesn't seem like there's a clear answer here. Birgir mentioned the U.S. military couldn't find a solution surrounding the problems either.
It's also not even clear what Stax or Yama's, etc do per repair.
- Stax SR-009 Channel Imbalance Trouble / Driver Problem?
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 14 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 30 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 1 minute ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 (excellent condition, includes Beyer Custom One... 1 minute ago
- › TTPOD T1-E Impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › THE ACOUSTIC MUSIC THREAD 3 minutes ago
- › Moving away from DT-990(250Ohms) 5 minutes ago
- › Best recording of .."The Planets".? 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)