Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › No bass on SR-71B
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No bass on SR-71B

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I got an SR-71B a few weeks ago & have been listening to it SE until a few days ago. I have never experienced the change between a SE & balanced set up personally but from all the reading I've done they always said it adds bass quantity & quality & texture etc plus the improved imaging.

 

Thing is, I'm not getting any bass coming through my SR-71B. Using my JH13s the sound is very thin & the bass has no impact whatsoever. The sound feels very lacking. I actually get more bass straight from my iPod (or any source) & bypassing the amp completely.

 

To me, the RSA house sound is thick & warm (I've had SR-71A, Hornet & Tomahawk) & doesn't sound like this. Even EQ'ing can't bring the impact back.

 

Do I just need to burn in the balanced out some more or do I have a problem?

 

Thanks.

post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwidol View Post

I got an SR-71B a few weeks ago & have been listening to it SE until a few days ago. I have never experienced the change between a SE & balanced set up personally but from all the reading I've done they always said it adds bass quantity & quality & texture etc plus the improved imaging.

 

Thing is, I'm not getting any bass coming through my SR-71B. Using my JH13s the sound is very thin & the bass has no impact whatsoever. The sound feels very lacking. I actually get more bass straight from my iPod (or any source) & bypassing the amp completely.

 

To me, the RSA house sound is thick & warm (I've had SR-71A, Hornet & Tomahawk) & doesn't sound like this. Even EQ'ing can't bring the impact back.

 

Do I just need to burn in the balanced out some more or do I have a problem?

 

Thanks.

Sounds like you have a problem somewhere. The 71B has very strong bass, that is balanced and works well with my JH13 pros or the HE-6, too very different types of phones. I am trying to think how you might have something hooked up wrong. Any images?
 

 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

I'll try & get some images up later.

 

I've tried it with different sources & IC's too though. Its the same on low, medium & high gain. I also noticed that switching to balanced in no way doubled the sound output of the amp. It might of added a couple of DB but it might not of even done that.

post #4 of 11

Sounds like somebody stole the bass from your SR71B. You may want to get in contact with RSA and report your loss. Perhaps he can retrieve it back.

post #5 of 11

I would contact Ray. He may need to take a look at the amp because this amp has plenty of good controlled bass. 

post #6 of 11


Please make sure to flip the input toggle switch on the back panel toward the SE when using SE or balanced input when balanced signal is been used,

Not doing that will reduce the quality of BASS in SE & the balanced won't sound right.

Please make sure your files are LOSSLESS, Never use MP3 compressed files.

Your sources must have line out, this means you will never use the headphone jack of any source with the SR-71B.

Ray Samuels


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwidol View Post

I'll try & get some images up later.

 

I've tried it with different sources & IC's too though. Its the same on low, medium & high gain. I also noticed that switching to balanced in no way doubled the sound output of the amp. It might of added a couple of DB but it might not of even done that.



 

post #7 of 11

Just going to verify what everyone else said. This thing normally has a lot of bass.

post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Samuels View Post


Please make sure to flip the input toggle switch on the back panel toward the SE when using SE or balanced input when balanced signal is been used,

Not doing that will reduce the quality of BASS in SE & the balanced won't sound right.

Please make sure your files are LOSSLESS, Never use MP3 compressed files.

Your sources must have line out, this means you will never use the headphone jack of any source with the SR-71B.

Ray Samuels


 



 


I definitely meet all these requirements Ray.

 

I've been messing just now with the stock cable & balanced cable. The (stock) SE cable on my JH13s is actually louder than the balanced (Moon Audio Silver Dragon) cable. The balanced output sounds slightly cleaner though.

 

Am I going to have to send this back to be looked at?

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Samuels View Post

 

Please make sure your files are LOSSLESS, Never use MP3 compressed files.

 


I agree that in principle that if someone wishes to get the most out of equipment at this level, they should use lossless source files.  However, I routinely listen to high bitrate mp3 files with my SR71b and they sound better than they have ever sounded from other portable/transportable systems (including the requisite amount of wonderfully presented bass).  

 

Some may argue that mp3's should never be used with audiophile intentions....and that's fine....but there's nothing special (IMO) about the SR71b as compared to other amps that excludes the enjoyment of a well encoded mp3.    
 

 

post #10 of 11

Thought I share the same story here.

 

I purchase SR-71B sometime in May 2011 and was using it every other days.

 

I am not writing this to discourage but hopefully to get an answer so bare with me pleaseeeeee :)

And believe me I will be purchasing other products from RSA once I figure out my problems...

 

So my setup is pretty much what Ray recommended lossless, I even have balanced cables, 18awg iphone 4 to sr71b etc.

 

With my Audeze LCD2, I've been playing classic, female vocals, heavy metal, pop, rap, r&b, jazz, acoustic... you name it.

However I hear no differences.

 

Bass, trebles, noise level, quality, and quantity the same, seems like every music I play through iPhone 4 is identical with or without SR71b.

 

So far all ALO cables, sr71b, audeze headphone have the same number of hours burn in (approx 80 hours).

 

Anybody here in the same situation as me and have overcome the problem ?

 

I just emailed Ray hopefully he can guide me or have my sr71b looked.

post #11 of 11

Interesting read - I believe in the quality of Ray's amps - so I'd be interested to know how you figured it out. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › No bass on SR-71B