I use an iPhone 4 and a HM-601 so bass boosting isn't really an option for me. Also I like not to mess up with headphones frequency curves. Not that I object to people using EQs, but in the same way that I don't like dubbed movies I prefer to hear headphones as the designers / engineers created them. Stupid, I know :). Also, I'm not sure that the DT 1350 will ever rival the ES10 bass fattness. The DT1350 punches quite a lot with the HM 601 (less so with the iPhone), but it remains tight and precise. I like the ES10 bass with mainstream dance / electronica as it is more rounded and fatt : that IMHO is beneficial to poor recordings. It gives them some form of grandeur. That's a personal opinion though.
Unfortunately I'm very tolerant to headphones comfort so I can't really be informative here. However :
- I'm one of the few who disliked the HD-25 due to the type of synthetic pleather used. I found it irritating.
- The ESW9 / ESW10 have terrible pads (although they're made of leather) that compromises their seal and give an uneven weight distribution over the ear.
- The ES10 cup is larger than the others to the point that it gives the impression of being an around the ear design. The pleather used is IMHO very nice and resistant, and the foam inside ensures a good and even distribution of weight. The only complain I've read so far is the driver protection touching the ears. Not in my case though.
- The P5 is extremely comfortable except close to the front of the ear in my case. Their very special design meant that on my head they tended to exerce pressure over that area. Other than that the leather is very good, the foam fantastic, and the clamping perfect. Isolation is no problemo.
- The T50p was very loose out of the box, which made them very comfortable though unpractically loose. This affected the sound badly (they were thin sounding as many early adopters reported). I dramatically bended the headband and they went from very comfortable but impractical and terrible sounding to less comfortable but secure and good sounding.
- The DT 1350 are pretty much like my corrected T50p, though a little more secure due to the split headband and shorter headband.
I don't like rankings but my subjective experience is as follows :
ES10 > DT 1350 > T50p > P5 > HD-25 / ESW9 / ESW10.
It seems that I was unsatisfied with most of them as far as comfort goes, but really, I could have worn them for hours without much trouble (let's say that I'm giving a much greater weight to SQ and build quality / design than comfort when I evaluate headphones).
This is my opinion, Jude seems BTW to have a different one (he prefers the HD-25 to the DT 1350. Most likely he isn't irritated by their pads).
Edited by MayaTlab - 6/13/11 at 12:41pm