Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Alternatives to Sennheiser HD 25 II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alternatives to Sennheiser HD 25 II

post #1 of 82
Thread Starter 

 

After reading most of posts I realise that the way I described the issue did not get accross the point I wanted to make well enough. I'm sorry.
 
The thing that I'm curious about is: are there other headphones out there that people prefer or use as back ups for their sennheiser HD-25 and why? Are there people who are bothered by the lack of soundstage to the extent that they have chosen different headphones? Although people seem to agree that these headphones have great SQ there are few characteristics that may not be for everyone. If that is the case for someone what is their alternative etc.
 
Also I wanted to mention that I was very pleasantly surprised by the warm and understanging tone of all the responses. Moreover, I really admired how people instead of getting all defensive and protective actually here are very open minded and eager to take chances and explore the less main stream brands that although have less name power may be just as good or even a better bargain. Very refreshing.
 
Oh and by the way I realised that it was calbe from my amp to phone that was broke so XD-53 are still AWESOME.

 

Results so far (2011.05.31):

alternatives hd25 2011_05_31.JPG

 

Original post:

Now it's been like 5 months since i bought my last portables (XD-53) and their cable is about to die on me. So out of curiousity I started to look around for an alternatives with replacable cables. And to my surprise I found out that the only closed portable headphones according to this site are the Senn's HD 25 II. Everything else seems to fall into "yeah there are these too but you really should buy HD-25" category.


I'm sure that they are fine headphones (unless you care about soundstage, I had the chance to listen to them and they sound fine and isolation is awesome) but I can't help but feel like these headphones are Head-fi's Beats.

When it comes to open ear headphones there are Grados, AKG, Sennheiser... Sony XB etc. which are all regarded as good headphones that have their strenghts. How come when it comes to portable closed headphones there is only one great choise (except of course headphones like Ultrasone Edition 8 and stuff - im talking about headphones for people who are only partly insane :) ).


Please prove I am wrong and have no clue what I'm talking about...

 

P.S. Please don't mention Beyerdynamic DT 1350 (unless you really like them) because then I'll think you are saying that only because you love Jude and want to buy him flowers every day.


Edited by naurispunk - 6/1/11 at 2:51pm
post #2 of 82

ATH-ES10 :) but they are double the price of the HD251-ii.

 

Well you asked for it

 

The M50 sounds better than the HD25 to my ears other than the dead cold mids, but it's better. The HD25 is really hard to beat in terms of portability and sound imo.

post #3 of 82

Have you looked in Joker's portable review thread?

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-82-portable-headphones-reviewed-superlux-hd668b-prodipe-pro-800-added-05-15


Edited by shamrock134 - 5/26/11 at 7:32am
post #4 of 82

AKG K-181, the only other seriously decent closed portable with detachable cable

 

ES-10's, hower not detachable cable, are very good too. I use them as much as the HD-25's.

post #5 of 82

ow, and Jude can have a couple of days of flowers from me, if he sends me that 1350.

post #6 of 82

Sony zx700/z1000, CAL!

 

..think i'll get myself a panasonic htx7 someday since its cheap and appears in an anime I like ==

post #7 of 82
You can't go wrong with both the zx700 and z1000, having owned both now for several weeks they are fantastic.
post #8 of 82

So you want closed, portable cans with great sound and awesome soundstage? Ain't gonna happen. Look into IEMs, that's a whole different kettle of fish. The HD25s (of which I'm a great fan) get recommended a lot for a reason. Best mix of all winning features, plus they rock your face off.

"Head-fi's Beats"? Really? Overpriced, over-hyped and shoddy?

Also, the Sony XBs are closed, mind you.

post #9 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmd View Post

So you want closed, portable cans with great sound and awesome soundstage? Ain't gonna happen.

 

I mention soundstage only to point out the fact that HD25s are known to have none therefore it makes it even weirder that people only suggest them. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by zmd View Post

"Head-fi's Beats"? Really? Overpriced, over-hyped and shoddy?

 

I called them "Head-fi's Beats" because they..... well if you ask someone who does not know much about headphones which are the best they all say beats. And everyone here knows that this is BS in that they are [all the things you mentioned].

On the other hand if you ask this question here HD25's is the answer you get 90% of the time. And while there are good reasons for that it makes the whole debate seem just as close minded and ignorant.

 

post #10 of 82

Why not the 1350? I'm considering one of both.

post #11 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post

Why not the 1350? I'm considering one of both.



Because they don't count. Not in this thread anyway :) Read second part of the last sentence of description for further information.

 

Also they are a bit pricy at the moment and they are new which means noone knows have they behave after years of use.


Edited by naurispunk - 5/26/11 at 11:17pm
post #12 of 82

All I can really say is to read http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-82-portable-headphones-reviewed-superlux-hd668b-prodipe-pro-800-added-05-15 or you might check out http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php.

 

When it comes to portables there are going to be compromises (heck that applies to most headphones within a reasonable price range,) and the HD25s are just known to be a good headphone for the compromises it makes. Most of the recommendations I see for it still throw caveats in. Lack of soundstage, like you mentioned, and discomfort for any sort of long listening session, and harsh highs or sibilance. That alone separates them from the hype (outside of head-fi) for the Beats. The Beats are just marketed to be the "best" period. Of any headphone at any price. Not quite sure how the praise for the HD25 ever reaches that level or can be describe as close-minded or ignorant. You may not want to go that route and that's fine, but it seems like you're just throwing out any mention of them because you think people are brainwashed. I think on head-fi there's plenty of different viewpoints on any headphone that it's not the case. Sound is subjective after all.

 

And your only argument against the DT1350 is that Jude liked them, so if anyone else recommends them they must be sucking up to Jude? There are people that can try a lot of different sets of cans, but I imagine the majority of head-fi'ers can only AB a few headphones, and the portable market is getting crowded out with the popularity of universal/custom iems, so that's why I think there tends to be more of a consensus in this area than others. Are there any other criteria besides "removable cable" that you have for the headphones. Sound signature, supra-aural, circum-aural, analytical, u-shaped? Give a little more to work with and some people might be able to better help, besides the couple Sony recommendations already. 

post #13 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocswing View Post

All I can really say is to read http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-82-portable-headphones-reviewed-superlux-hd668b-prodipe-pro-800-added-05-15 or you might check out http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php.

 

When it comes to portables there are going to be compromises (heck that applies to most headphones within a reasonable price range,) and the HD25s are just known to be a good headphone for the compromises it makes. Most of the recommendations I see for it still throw caveats in. Lack of soundstage, like you mentioned, and discomfort for any sort of long listening session, and harsh highs or sibilance. That alone separates them from the hype (outside of head-fi) for the Beats. The Beats are just marketed to be the "best" period. Of any headphone at any price. Not quite sure how the praise for the HD25 ever reaches that level or can be describe as close-minded or ignorant. You may not want to go that route and that's fine, but it seems like you're just throwing out any mention of them because you think people are brainwashed. I think on head-fi there's plenty of different viewpoints on any headphone that it's not the case. Sound is subjective after all.

 

And your only argument against the DT1350 is that Jude liked them, so if anyone else recommends them they must be sucking up to Jude? There are people that can try a lot of different sets of cans, but I imagine the majority of head-fi'ers can only AB a few headphones, and the portable market is getting crowded out with the popularity of universal/custom iems, so that's why I think there tends to be more of a consensus in this area than others. Are there any other criteria besides "removable cable" that you have for the headphones. Sound signature, supra-aural, circum-aural, analytical, u-shaped? Give a little more to work with and some people might be able to better help, besides the couple Sony recommendations already. 

 


A long post deserves a long reply. First wanted to clarify a few things (and I'm sorry if I'm repeating mysleft here):
 
1) As awesome as that Joker's thread is it has his downsides. For one thing, it takes 10 minutes to load.
 
2) "And your only argument against the DT1350 is that Jude liked them, so if anyone else recommends them they must be sucking up to Jude?" Exactly.
 
3) I don't think portable headphones have become less popular. If anything I feel they are becoming more accepted again. At least lately I have noticed more and more of them on the street. Although maybe that is because I notice them more since I started using them.
 
4) The cable was the reason I started this thread but no, it's not the only thing I look for :) Well, no. Actually now that I think about it...
 
 
 
Now that said...
 
After reading most of posts I realise that the way I described the issue did not get accross the point I wanted to make well enough. I'm sorry.
 
The thing that I'm curious about is: are there other headphones out there that people prefer or use as back ups for their sennheiser HD-25 and why? Are there people who are bothered by the lack of soundstage to the extent that they have chosen different headphones? Although people seem to agree that these headphones have great SQ there are few characteristics that may not be for everyone. If that is the case for someone what is their alternative etc.
 
Also I wanted to mention that I was very pleasantly surprised by the warm and understanging tone of all the responses. Moreover, I really admired how people instead of getting all defensive and protective actually here are very open minded and eager to take chances and explore the less main stream brands that although have less name power may be just as good or even a better bargain. Very refreshing.
 
Oh and by the way I realised that it was calbe from my amp to phone that was broke so XD-53 are still AWESOME.

 

post #14 of 82

Ah yeah, that's definitely a much clearer way to phrase what you're looking for. I can't really help all that much cause the HD25s are the only portable I own. I'm happy with them cause I've only had them for a little while, but I do think the lack of soundstage is a downfall. I also think it hurts the separation as well. Not looking at a replacement though cause I'm working on a home/desktop rig first. From what I've read the Phiaton MS400 are good, and despite what you say the DT1350 as well (though I think the price right now is too high.) 

 

Glad to hear that your old phones are still working, and hopefully you get some good recommendations now that the criteria are laid out.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurispunk View Post
 
 
Now that said...
 
After reading most of posts I realise that the way I described the issue did not get accross the point I wanted to make well enough. I'm sorry.
 
The thing that I'm curious about is: are there other headphones out there that people prefer or use as back ups for their sennheiser HD-25 and why? Are there people who are bothered by the lack of soundstage to the extent that they have chosen different headphones? Although people seem to agree that these headphones have great SQ there are few characteristics that may not be for everyone. If that is the case for someone what is their alternative etc.
 
Also I wanted to mention that I was very pleasantly surprised by the warm and understanging tone of all the responses. Moreover, I really admired how people instead of getting all defensive and protective actually here are very open minded and eager to take chances and explore the less main stream brands that although have less name power may be just as good or even a better bargain. Very refreshing.
 
Oh and by the way I realised that it was calbe from my amp to phone that was broke so XD-53 are still AWESOME.

 



 

post #15 of 82

@naurispunk Well given how you phrased at your last post, while I do own the HD25s and i'm almost completely satisfied (minus soundstage), backup headphones would be the PX200-ii, still closed, but less isolation, and they sound "decent enough" not nearly as good sounding, but they funnily have more soundstage and are a great alternative when travelling to rough neighbourhoods since they do provide less isolation I can spot people getting ready to mug me so I get ready for anything Streets of rage/Final Fight style or just run to hell out.

 

Oh and no detachable cable just in case.

 

Edit: Scratch that, this is the Full Headphone thread, Sony MDR-V6 would be my alternative if heavens struck down a lighting and my HD25s got destroyed in the rage of Zeus.

Great value for what they cost, and I always come back to this headphones after breaking them every 5 years, guess its an acquired taste.


Edited by Zabardo - 5/27/11 at 5:53pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Alternatives to Sennheiser HD 25 II