I know this subject has probably already been discussed to death, but I'm considering getting the AKG K701 and I want to find a suitable amp/dac combo first. Fairly new here and I've been searching through the archives but I'm hoping someone can indulge me with some advice.
The important points:
- My laptop has a shitty soundcard so I need a DAC.
- Separate amp/dac would be ideal, but I don't have the funds for that at the moment.
- I want something that acts as a standalone DAC so I can upgrade to a better amp in the future.
- Budget is $350 for amp/dac.
My options so far from other head-fi threads:
- Yulong DAH1 Mark II
- Audio-gd Sparrow version A
- Audio-gd FUN version A (they don't have basic anymore?)
- Matrix mini-i
I am leaning towards the Audio-gd FUN because it has the best options and the OPA modules sound interesting. The Sparrow doesn't act as a standalone DAC (although it's cheapest and has same chip as the FUN), and some people say the Matrix sounds metallic with the K701. Yulong Mark II has a good DAC but I am worried it will be too bright with the K701.
Does anyone have experience with any combo of these?
How important is the chip? WM8741 vs AD1955.