Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › A10 vs ZO vs E11; Recommendations?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A10 vs ZO vs E11; Recommendations?

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 

I'm planning on buying the beyerdynamic DT770's 80 ohm and I just don't know which of these amps to get. I read many reviews on all of them, and they all get good result. Because of that I can't decide which one to get. I need one that's powerful enough to power my DT770's and that doesn't cost way to much. I'd say the ZO is my budget limit. 

 

Right now I'm slightly leaning towards the A10, only because of the cheap price and because it's available right now.

 

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

post #2 of 30

I don't really consider the ZO an amp per se, more like hardware EQ that does a bit of amp/EQ/voodoo magic across the whole spectrum to elevate the bass while keeping everything else in check, true and balanced to the original signature of the monitor source.

 

I'm not familiar with the DT770's, but if you're looking for power to drive them and need amplification, then the E11/A10 would be the way to go, as both seem to be solid budget choices, especially the E11, since it seems like it has gobs of power, which could be useful in driving full sized headphones.  Though it certainly has a FOTM vibe going right now, so just something to be aware of.

 

As for the ZO, I think it is a great addition at a reasonable price, if you like bass and your monitors are slightly bass shy or you want a bit more of a punch.

post #3 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyballz View Post

I don't really consider the ZO an amp per se, more like hardware EQ that does a bit of amp/EQ/voodoo magic across the whole spectrum to elevate the bass while keeping everything else in check, true and balanced to the original signature of the monitor source.

 

I'm not familiar with the DT770's, but if you're looking for power to drive them and need amplification, then the E11/A10 would be the way to go, as both seem to be solid budget choices, especially the E11, since it seems like it has gobs of power, which could be useful in driving full sized headphones.  Though it certainly has a FOTM vibe going right now, so just something to be aware of.

 

As for the ZO, I think it is a great addition at a reasonable price, if you like bass and your monitors are slightly bass shy or you want a bit more of a punch.


I see. I guess that rules out the ZO, since the DT770's are pretty bass heavy, I just need that extra power to drive them.

 

It seems like the E11 has slightly more power at the same price, so I guess that'll be my choice. Although I just hope it'll be available soon as I'm going out of the country for 2 months.

 

Anyways, thank you for your help!

 

post #4 of 30

I'm curious about the A10 vs E11 as well.  But my headphones are in the opposite spectrum as yours, the Ety HF5 and Alessandro MS-1i.  While the MS-1i is fairly balanced, the HF5 is obviously mid- and treble-strong, so I'm looking for a warmer amp with a decent but not muddy bass boost. 

 

I'm reminding you what ClieOS said in the A10 thread about the A10 vs E11: "Bass boost wise, E11 Lv2 is almost equal to A10 in sub-bass, but A10 get a little more mid bass and overall more volume." ""

 

For that reason, I'm leaning toward the A10 to replace my iBasso T4, combined with my Fuze and HF5.

post #5 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhaynes View Post

I'm curious about the A10 vs E11 as well.  But my headphones are in the opposite spectrum as yours, the Ety HF5 and Alessandro MS-1i.  While the MS-1i is fairly balanced, the HF5 is obviously mid- and treble-strong, so I'm looking for a warmer amp with a decent but not muddy bass boost. 

 

I'm reminding you what ClieOS said in the A10 thread about the A10 vs E11: "Bass boost wise, E11 Lv2 is almost equal to A10 in sub-bass, but A10 get a little more mid bass and overall more volume." ""

 

For that reason, I'm leaning toward the A10 to replace my iBasso T4, combined with my Fuze and HF5.

 

I see, I see. But the A10 seems to be quite smaller than the E11, that must be for some reason doesn't it? All I'm worried about is if both or none of them can power the DT770. Perhaps because of the A10 not being that known and the E11 recent release, that's hard to get information.
 

 

post #6 of 30

Btw, the ZO would be very capable of driving the DT770, as it has almost 38% more power output capability compared to the e11:

ZO: 415mW @ 16 ohms 

e11: 300mW @ 16 ohms

 

 

 

post #7 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMoxie View Post

Btw, the ZO would be very capable of driving the DT770, as it has almost 38% more power output capability compared to the e11:

ZO: 415mW @ 16 ohms 

e11: 300mW @ 16 ohms

 

 

 

Wow, is this true? I guess that changes everything.. God damn now I'm so confused
 

 

post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 

Looks like only 3 stores are selling the ZO. One at 99.99, rest at 119. Too bad that Sharper Image doesn't include international shipping with their products. What can I do now? Are there any other stores that sell the ZO, that ships internationally?

post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMoxie View Post

Btw, the ZO would be very capable of driving the DT770, as it has almost 38% more power output capability compared to the e11:

ZO: 415mW @ 16 ohms 

e11: 300mW @ 16 ohms

 

 

 

 

Damn seriously?  Had never seen anything "official" published on this.  That's pretty powerful and would definitely place it firmly in the amp category then.

 

Impressive, it's like the gift that keeps on giving, lol.
 

 

post #10 of 30
Thread Starter 

Although that got me thinking. How does it work when the ZO doesn't even have a dedicated volume button? 

post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocide174 View Post

Although that got me thinking. How does it work when the ZO doesn't even have a dedicated volume button? 



You can use it directly with the HP out of your source, or if you prefer to use a LOD, you just need to use an inline volume control cable on the ZO's input.

post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMoxie View Post





You can use it directly with the HP out of your source, or if you prefer to use a LOD, you just need to use an inline volume control cable on the ZO's input.



So the ZO will just increase the volume and I can pick my volume level on my source? Rather than being able to turn the volumpe up/down on both the amp or the source.

post #13 of 30

Yup!!  Best investment I made in a long time >=D

post #14 of 30
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziocomposite View Post

Yup!!  Best investment I made in a long time >=D



Is it really worth double the price? 

post #15 of 30

Resounding yes with an if!!!  It's small/portable, usb chargeable, and you can control the AMOUNT of bass you want.  If I were you, I suggest listening to your headphones when you get them first.  If you are happy with the quantity/punch/etc. of bass, then an amp may be more suitable for you.  If you aren't happy with the bass, the Zo would be better since it honestly enhances the output of music to my ears anyways and to others from reading others' experience.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › A10 vs ZO vs E11; Recommendations?