Sooooo heres the deal. Im an audio video professional, have been for the last 12 years. I have an overly critical ear in my opinion, but as titled, I have weird needs. Im going to tell what information I think you may need to help me, if you have questions to further clarify, feel free to ask and I will try to respond asap. Allow me to preface all of the following by thanking you for reading this and for any and all suggestions that may come my way. My reference for good sound comes from home audio, heres what I like. Bowers and wilkins speakers with rotel power. Always appreciated the sometimes overly accurate to the point of sounding a bit dry. I love it when listening to old jazz, classical or acoustic. However........I also love lively and engaging sound even if it sacrifices accuracy. I cant shy away from "fun" at the price of small nuances, my reference for this would be Onkyo with Energy speakers. Buuuuuuut........So far the best of both worlds would be energy speakers with Marantz power, something about that combination can be magical, accurate and fun rolled into one, currently this is my home theater set up and I totally digg it. With my job I fly almost every week, so isolation is of up most importance. I bought a pair of Grado sr60's 2 years ago or so, not because I really needed a pair of headphones but more because of all the hype and being an audio junkie i had to try them out. I do like their sound however the open air design is useless for me and my lifestyle. Ive maybe used them 5 times. The option to work out in these headphones is a plus but sound quality and isolation make up 90% of the my needs, as I said, it would be a nice plus. What I listen to: Everything I listen to is loaded on my ipod touch or sony mp3 player in the highest bit rate possible.......always. I listen to a lot of just voice podcasts. I also listen to a lof of hardcore metal like All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Bullet for my Valentine. But I can easily go from that to old Miles Davis, to the Derek trucks band , Journey, The Beatles, Nirvana, with a little bit of classical thrown in there as well. As I said, I like my grados, I loved my Koss porta pros back in the day, always like the few sennhiesers I have heard, I even liked the el cheapo jvc in ears I used a year ago when i worked out a lot. Was looking at ultimate ears and etymotics but have never heard them before, also im not afraid of getting custom fit made, but for my price range not sure if it would be worth it/possible. Looking to spend 100-200$......suggestions?
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 5/25/11
- productFischer Audio DBA-02tagged by System, 5/25/11
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by System, 5/25/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE0 In-ear Headphonestagged by System, 5/25/11
- productHEAD-DIRECT RE ZEROtagged by System, 5/27/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 5/25/11
Related Forum Threads
- Ety's vs. Fischer? Last post on 9/21/12 at 3:11pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- WICH IEM HAS THE FLATTEST SOUND SIGNATURE.. Last post on 4/25/16 at 8:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Yet another "best IEM for ~€120 ($150)" thread Last post on 11/2/12 at 5:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Upgrading from SE215's I need some experienced input please. Last post on 1/10/12 at 7:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Fischer DBA-02 Vs. HD 580 Vs. Sexttet LP Vs. RE-0/ZERO Vs. UE Triple-Fi 10 Last post on 7/26/11 at 6:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
- Basic Guide To In Ear CanalphonesLast edited: 3/22/12
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
Introduction Sennheiser HD650 is one of the (seemingly) consecrated headphones made by Sennheiser as an upgrade (update?) to their well received model, HD600. HD600 has been...
I finally took the plunge and got these. It's amazing how TOTL IEMS can sound so different. Bass: Tight and full. Tip dependent. With the triple flanges thought my head was going to blow off. I...
The original iDSD Micro stood out from the competition as an all-in-one replacement for the most discerning listeners' setups. The original iDSD Micro delivered - I had one, but as I started to not...
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Help in selection, I have weird needs!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 85/24/11 at 10:04pm
Head-Direct's RE0, RE-Zero for <$100, or Fischer Audio's DBA-02 for <$200 if you can get one sound like they're right up your alley. Etymotic's ER4 for about $200 may be a bit too pricey, but you might like that too. Etymotic's ER4 has pretty much been synonymous with 'accurate sound' for the past decade or so. You can also look into the recent V-Sonic GR-07 for less than 200 ...
Edited by rymd - 5/24/11 at 10:05pmpost #3 of 85/25/11 at 5:44pmThread Starterpost #4 of 85/26/11 at 1:06pm
hmmm, a bit hard to read and im not really sure you know what you want.
so ill say Vsonic GR07 for the moment. tbh you need to pick something then use it a reference baseline but its a very accomplished all rounder.post #5 of 85/26/11 at 1:10pmpost #6 of 85/26/11 at 2:04pmpost #7 of 85/27/11 at 12:27pm
I am looking for something similar, but IEMs do not agree with me. Thus, I am looking for portables. Posting my notes here as I might save you a little time.
I was hoping the PX 100s would work, but they only confirmed that I need a closed design in my portable phones. I would just bite the bullet and get the HD25s, but worry about amplification. Currently investigating the AKG K271 - as I am not a bass head. Ack! That should have been AKG K181DJ - which are said to have plenty of bass. (K271s are for data center use, but that is another story for another time).
Edited by MtnSloth - 5/27/11 at 1:21pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Help in selection, I have weird needs!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And Information
- › NEW Audio Technica Multiple BA IEM: ATH LS50,70,200,300,400 1 minute ago
- › Stax SRM-007TII official EU 230V 2 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Xelento! 2 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 3 minutes ago
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 7 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 9 minutes ago
- › Full size cans newbie - Ideas for an alternative to my 1964 U8 IEM? 10 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 10 minutes ago
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear