Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why do people like Grados so much?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do people like Grados so much? - Page 6

post #76 of 196
Thread Starter 


 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post




 

I have to disagree with you a bit. I had a pair of Denons (d2000's) that were nice.

 

Comfort:

Awesome. Definitely more comfortable than the Grado's but I think you're exagerating the discomfort of the Grado's a bit. At least I dont have the issues you seem to have experienced so quickly, but I've had some discomfort issues. Usually I just switch to Jumbos, turns my Grado's into Denon's biggrin.gif

 

Sound:

That last part was 1/2 in jest, 1/2 serious. The reason I didnt keep the Denons was the trade off in the sound exceeded the increased comfort. My perception of the d2000 sound sig is, too polite with recessed mids. When I listen to my guitar heroes I'm not looking for polite and I didnt like the mids, but that's probably why I like the Grado's because of the forward mids. Lot's of ways around the comfort issue with Grado's, using jumbo's are one but they dampen the energy a bit and recess the mids. That is they get polite and have recessed mids, just like a Denon. At that point though the Denon probably is a better all around headphone. The Grado though can give me three different sounds, depending on which ear pads I'm using, comfies, bowls, or jumbo's. You can also tape the bowl pads as an additional tweak.

 

Sound wise I prefer every Grado I've ever heard to the d2000 I had, comfort wise is a different story, but again the Grado sound to my ears is so much better than the Denon sound that the comfort thing is really a non issue with me.

 

 


I'm really not. They were literally pushing into the top of my ear; it was just awful. I can honestly say I'd never experienced any sort of headphone fatigue prior to these Grados, neither physical nor aural. But these cans had a signature (it's the highs) that after 5 minutes made me wince. And I kept trying and trying and trying to like them. But when a $200+ headphone literally causes you pain, how do you justify whatever positives remain? I know what you mean about the midrange; the Grados definitely throw it at you and the D2000 is pretty recessed, but it managed to keep me totally happy for metal for quite some time. I'm past the Denons now in any case, using T1s and awaiting LCD-2s. I'm sure the jumbo and comfies are a different story, but I am just bewildered by how people wear the bowls in comfort. My ears aren't big, and I've worn some cans for 14 hours straight. But the SR225i's were like light stabs to the ear, physically and aurally.

 

post #77 of 196

personally, if i didn't like something how it sounded, i'd start modding it. >.<. I've modded a logitech speaker because I was bored and the casing was broken. I also poked out the holes for them and kept the pads. So...it's also the same with grados. I can literally, depending on what I do to the grado, mod it from one side to the next in sound. 

 

That may be why some may hate grado but still have them.

post #78 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrow View Post

Anything below the sr325is is garbage IMO. I had the sr80i's and "loved" them only to justify my purchase, as soon as I wised up I shipped them off and got me some RS-2's and I really do love them as I tried them for a long time before buying them.


Seems to be a common trend around here. . .rolleyes.gif  (Not saying those headphones in particular, just in general).  It is rather common human nature to want to not admit a mistake, but rather force it to be right in one's mind.  My rule of thumb is, if you don't like them in the first week of use, don't keep them.  You will get used to them over time, but that does not mean they have actually gotten any better. . .down the road people will sometimes realize this fact, but often times do not.  The light is only seen after one has moved on to something better and finally comes to the realization "wtf was I listening to?"

 

Then you finally stop and think, how do you truly define "better"?  You do not know if there is actually "better" out there because you can not truly comprehend "better" until you have heard it, no?  I just don't like it when things get hyped up and people get mislead. . .I think the link between "Grado" and "metal/rock" needs to be a little more disconnected than it seems to be here.  Since everyone likes different flavors, how can one say that X headphone is truly great at something when maybe the way it presents it ruins it for someone else?  I'm not calling for suppression of opinions here, just for maybe people to not be so adamant about "Metal/Rock = Grado".  There are people around here (more than less it seems) that just regurgitate what they have read in someone else's post and never take a moment to form their own legitimate conclusions.

 

This is not directed at anyone here in particular. . .just speak upon generalities.


Edited by Ze_Blitzkrieg - 5/26/11 at 6:38am
post #79 of 196

Do the HP2's count very_evil_smiley.gif

 

When it comes to metal they are a noticeable step above any of the other Grado headphones save for maybe the PS1 which I haven't heard. Actually, I haven't heard a headphone that does metal better yet. But yeah, they are nearly impossible to acquire nowadays

 

In the prestige line I've heard all the Grado's except for the RS-2. None of them satisfied me enough to keep, including the RS1. The RS1's were nice but I didn't think they were worth the asking price. I didn't give them a chance with flats though which might have changed my opinion quite drastically  

post #80 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

I thought everything above the SR80i is overpriced and the SR325i was my least favorite of all. To each his own.



the sr80i was like having my ears drilled. and I did not say the 325i i said the 325i(S)

post #81 of 196
Thread Starter 

Take a look at this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/197344/grado-ps1-received-holy-cow

Note the complaints about comfort, even with the top end models, among other things.

post #82 of 196

I see a lot of comments about comfort being an issue. I agree that out of the box they clamp very hard but this is easily remedied. What I like to do with any of the Grados that I own is the bend the headband. I hold the R and L blocks that hold the driver housings and push it against the lip of my desk or against a wall. This will help square off the top of the headband, helping to distribute the force more evenly. I also like to stretch them out a little so the clamping force isn't as tight. I keep adjusting until I feel they are comfortable. 

 

I've also switched to flat pads from TTVJ and they're much more comfortable than the stock bowls on my RS2i. The bowls made the sound stage shrink but has helped with bass depth and impact. I love my Grados and will never part with them. I do feel they excel with rock and jazz but I also like jazz with my K702s. They just present the music differently. The K702s have better imaging and sound stage depth but the Grados have more warmth and sound more intimate. 

 

I don't find the highs for the RS2i piercing at all. I think it all boils down to what type of amp you're using. Highs are a bit harsher with my Little Country III but are smoothed out when I use my Grado RA-1 amp. 

 

As with all audio gear, strive for synergy within your system and you'll be happy. Don't knock a headphone just because it doesn't match with your particular set up.

post #83 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralRelations View Post

 

As with all audio gear, strive for synergy within your system and you'll be happy. Don't knock a headphone just because it doesn't match with your particular set up.



Well said

 

post #84 of 196

The highs mellow out. Overall, listening volume is key. If you crank them up trying to get booming bass of an M50, then yes the highs will overwhelm you. But at normal listening levels the highs are quite pleasing. The bass, while not as bolsterous as some phones, is very very tight. With Rage against the machine, or any fast-bass electronica (Tron soundtrack comes to mind), the quickness of the drivers deliver an incredible punch. It helps to have a quiet listening room, too, as any ambient noise will interfere.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonty View Post

How do you Grado guys get over the ear-pain top end?  Do you just acclimatise?  There's no bass, no lower mids...  At least that's been my experience on the 2-3 occasions I've heard them.  I think they were SR60.

 

Personally I need my sound to not hurt my ears and make them close up.  I've never heard any other 'phones that pierce and sting like that other than freebie ear-buds.  If something is unlistenable on a high end source playing a well-recorded female jazz vocalist surely something's wrong.

 

edit: if they're cheaper where they originate then that would make any criticisms a bit over the top but they appear to be priced like a hi-fi product in the UK.  If they were £50 or less they'd be good value, but not £90.

 

Simon



 

post #85 of 196

I have my own theory why people like their Grados.
If you look around how many photos you can find of good headphones, say HD 650 for example, there is not much to find.
Now try to browse Flickr for Grado phones. There may not be many more, but people make an effort to shoot cute photos of their Grados. For a reason, if you ask me. The RS models for example simply look and feel great. The combination of old looking wood, high quality leather and cold steel has a certain tactile quality that reminds me of an old violin. Especially with the wooden cups these things look beautiful (until you put them on your head, that is). Certainly much better than plastic Sennheisers.

This makes me personally WANT to like them. I would like to own a pair. Well, I did. I had a pair of RS1s, but I sold them because I could not stand the treble.
For my taste, the RS1 have a far too hot treble, they are uncomfortable, no soundstage. Compared to a high tech machine like the HD 800 they seem to be stoneage tech (most likely they are). But still, I trap myself thinking about applications and excuses to get a pair again.

And there are applications: I had real trouble to amplify the RS1 because of their low impedance (I prefer tube amps). They simply sounded shit until I found out that they sound best right out of the iPod. This even makes sense, because - as someone else has pointed out - a quick look into the Grado RA1 amp shows an empty box with a cheap amplifier chip. Probably what's in the iPod has higher quality. At least it is in the same league.

And this is it for me: there are few headphones around that sound better right out of the iPod than the RS1. This makes them the perfect office or bedside phones. I wouldn't go so far as to leave the house with then though. I'd feel like a martian, if I did.
So most likely I'll get a pair of less treble hot RS2 and listen to them before I sleep. Currently I use my Sennheiser IE7 for that. But in-ears are simply not a match for good cans.
 


Edited by mironathetin - 5/26/11 at 11:55am
post #86 of 196

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironathetin View Post

I have my own theory why people like their Grados.
If you look around how many photos you can find of good headphones, say HD 650 for example, there is not much to find.
Now try to browse Flickr for Grado phones. There may not be many more, but people do something to shoot cute photos of their Grados. For a reason, if you ask me. 

 

 

Yes, there is a reason, but I don't think you are thinking of the correct reason there.  The primary reason you will find more photos of Grado's would more likely be due to people showing pictures of their "mods", where as other headphones which don't require you to modify a piece of equipment that you just spent good money on (that is supposed to be "engineered") you will find less pictures.  To use your example of the HD650's, what modifications really require any pictures to be taken?  I doubt Everyday Joe is going to snap a shot of his new cable plugged into his headphones.  Grado's have people creating wooden cups, custom headbands, various earpads, all to try and make the quality of their headphones better.  I personally don't feel that I should have to spend MORE money just to bring the quality of my headphones up to par with others around which costs near/same as the one's I am modifying.

 

For instance, the SR225i. . .plastic cups, cheap vinyl headband, stiff bowl pads. . .then people buy/build wooden cups, construct/purchase leather(ette) headbands, and have various ear pads as mentioned previously.  So when they get wooden cups, most of the time people will ask for a picture to see how that particular set turned out.  Someone creates a headband at home, people want pictures to see how it turned out. . .etc etc etc.  HD650's on the other hand, if you have seen a picture of them before, then you don't need to really see another one.  There aren't a bunch homemade cups/covers/headbands/etc. . .so I think your attempt to say it is due to some sort of magical beauty with the Grado lineup falls short, sorry.  (not trying to be rude, just making a point)

post #87 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_Blitzkrieg View Post

 

 

Yes, there is a reason, but I don't think you are thinking of the correct reason there.  The primary reason you will find more photos of Grado's would more likely be due to people showing pictures of their "mods", where as other headphones which don't require you to modify a piece of equipment that you just spent good money on (that is supposed to be "engineered") you will find less pictures.  To use your example of the HD650's, what modifications really require any pictures to be taken?  I doubt Everyday Joe is going to snap a shot of his new cable plugged into his headphones.  Grado's have people creating wooden cups, custom headbands, various earpads, all to try and make the quality of their headphones better.  I personally don't feel that I should have to spend MORE money just to bring the quality of my headphones up to par with others around which costs near/same as the one's I am modifying.

 

For instance, the SR225i. . .plastic cups, cheap vinyl headband, stiff bowl pads. . .then people buy/build wooden cups, construct/purchase leather(ette) headbands, and have various ear pads as mentioned previously.  So when they get wooden cups, most of the time people will ask for a picture to see how that particular set turned out.  Someone creates a headband at home, people want pictures to see how it turned out. . .etc etc etc.  HD650's on the other hand, if you have seen a picture of them before, then you don't need to really see another one.  There aren't a bunch homemade cups/covers/headbands/etc. . .so I think your attempt to say it is due to some sort of magical beauty with the Grado lineup falls short, sorry.  (not trying to be rude, just making a point)



Many people love modding not because they love throwing away money, but because it raises the intimacy quality of the particular headphones that are modded...when you put time into modifying something in order to improve it, you will like it more than something else that can't be modded even if that thing is better.

post #88 of 196

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Many people love modding not because they love throwing away money, but because it raises the intimacy quality of the particular headphones that are modded...when you put time into modifying something in order to improve it, you will like it more than something else that can't be modded even if that thing is better.

 


Not really the point of my post, but. . .

 

What are the primary reason some would modify a Grado?  (Or any headphone for that reason)  I would say that at least 80% of the time or more it is to "enhance" some aspect of the headphone.  What other $200 headphone do you know that comes with cheap vinyl headband, plastic cans that everyone wants to replace, and earpads that many seem to not be able to stand?  When I spend $200+ I honestly feel the package needs to be "complete", thus making any modifications feel less of a necessity and more of purely a personal option. 

 

List the top 2 (as in most common) modifications people do to the "standard" set of Grado's and please list the usual justifcation for each modification.  Pretty sure it won't because "oh just because" or "felt they would be more personal", but rather "wanted to improve ________ in these headphones".

post #89 of 196

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_Blitzkrieg View Post

 

The primary reason you will find more photos of Grado's would more likely be due to people showing pictures of their "mods",

 

Welll, there is no wood and leather on the cheaper Grados. The fact that people mod them with wood and leather strengthens my point of the tactile aspect.

No reason to excuse.

 

post #90 of 196

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironathetin View Post

 

Welll, there is no wood and leather on the cheaper Grados. The fact that people mod them with wood and leather strengthens my point of the tactile aspect.

No reason to excuse.

 


Not sure I'm getting your point here. . .care to elaborate some?  Once again the point of the original post that you quoted from me last time was the reason for their being more pictures out there of Grado's when compared to other headphones. . .it had nothing to do for the reason of the modifcations.  Please let me know if you are still not following. . .


Edited by Ze_Blitzkrieg - 5/26/11 at 12:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Why do people like Grados so much?