Started using this config nearly 3 years ago with my entry level ATH-M50's, still using it today my with Audeze LCD-2.2. Amazing results :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- First audio rig, need some help. Last post on 9/20/12 at 12:06pm in Computer Audio
- S/PDIF Setting when used with external DAC? Last post on 7/12/12 at 12:01am in Computer Audio
- Connect Computer to HiFi system Last post on 7/23/12 at 5:25pm in Computer Audio
- New MacBook Pro (Retina), PC 360s and what DAC? Last post on 6/24/12 at 4:32am in Computer Audio
- New DAC for PC Last post on 6/20/12 at 1:11am in Computer Audio
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Foobar2000 A Guide To Set UpLast edited: 3/31/11
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss! - Page 48
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #707 of 8591/24/14 at 8:53am
RPGWiZaRD, thank you for all your hard work! Just a heads-up for those new to the plugin: I never had to do this before, but with this latest update, I had to manually reselect the location of DolbyHph.dll in the DSP plugin settings to get the correct sound. You can easily check by comparing the volume to the Custom: Stock foorbar2000 preset. If incorrectly configured, the Default: Balanced preset is much softer, otherwise it's more or less the same.post #708 of 8592/2/14 at 11:28ampost #709 of 8592/2/14 at 11:42amThread Starterpost #710 of 8592/13/14 at 3:16pmI wanted to share my config.
I use filters in following order:
- IIR filter for CD de-emphasis filter
- HQ resample to 192 kHz rate to improve accuracy of following DSP effects
- matrix to decode surround, i.e. to convert 2 channel input into 4 or 5 channels
- surround-pan to move sound in front of me
- programmable reverb, which simulates 3-dimensional space
- HQ resample to 48 kHz rate because Dolby Headphone wouldn't work otherwise
- Dolby Headphone - Live Room
- HQ resample to 96 kHz rate to match my Pan Am
The IIR Filter and Reverb DSPs can be found under:
I have dropped settings here:
http://www.filedropper.com/foobar2ksettings3post #711 of 8592/15/14 at 5:14ampost #712 of 8592/15/14 at 11:01amThank, it's good to know. I had some suspicions that Surround Pan does something wrong. Anyways for Dolby Headphone you only need, and you get best results when you have 4 channels. I use different matrix than I shown here.
OUT | L | R
FL | 1.2 | 0.5
FR | 0.5 | 1.2
BL | 0.5 | -0.2
BR | -0.2 | 0.5
Sometimes I use Surround Pan to set sound ahead, but sometimes I go without it.
Also Programmable Reverb is an option I am not always using.
But matrix and DH is a must
I also use sometimes Electri-Q to reduce some freqs if there is too much, especially upper bass and lower mids.
When listening without room virtualisation I sometimes need to turn CD-DeEmph, this applies to Red Book CD's like trance music compilations made by Armin and John O'Callaghan. For classical I use matrix coefficient equivalent to Dolby Pro Logic because these CD's I have are recorded in this format. All dependspost #713 of 8592/16/14 at 3:15am
I prefer 5.1 with Dolby Headphone compared to 4.0. At the moment I always use a equalizer (EQ-APO ) to get the most possible flat ferquency response of my Headphone (HD555 mod 595) with DH. DH sounds much better with the equalizing.
For the upmix I have tested different dsps. ChannelMixer, MatrixMixer, FreeSurround, FreeSurround (beta), VI Suite , Dolby Pro Logic, dts neural upmix, and some other dsps.
I can tell that FreeSurround(beta) is very similar compared to dts neural upmix and Pro Logic and the best freeware upmix dsp I know.post #714 of 8592/19/14 at 9:53pmpost #715 of 8592/20/14 at 12:41pmWhen you have stereo record you would put it on virtual speakers being 2 meters in front of you rather than in your head, thus you may use matrix to put all left in front left, and all right in all right, and the you use Dolby Headphone to enable virtualization, because otherwise you would still just have 2 channels.
When you have Dolby Surround recording you need to use Dolby Pro Logic decoder to obtain four channels two front and two back, and then you use Dolby Headphone to convert these four channels into image for headphones. Note that Dolby Surround recording might be using two channels, but these are not suitable to listening in headphones, you need to decode that and place what you have decoded in proper location in 3D space, and this is why you need to use Dolby Headphone.
Now when you have regular stereo recording it is designed to be used with speakers and not headphones. When you listen on speakers, they usually stand in front of you, so you hear sound coming from ahead of you. However sound doesn't just stop, but it bounces from the walls and this way it fills up a room. In order to simulate similar effect you need to mix a bit of front to back. You can achieve nice result with coefficients I mentioned in my previous post.post #716 of 8593/2/14 at 1:45amI couldn't find Dolby Headphone wrapper for Linux, so I came out with some idea how to add virtual environment using JACK and LADSPA plugins.
Below is the screen-shot.
I connect output from Audacious to input of channel "1" on JackMixer, and then I connect output of that channel to JackRack where I set delay and filter. Then and I connect output from that JackRack to input of channel "2" on JackMixer swapping L with R. On the JackMixer I set volume of channel "2" to -1.5dB as I think this is the difference between how much you hear left speaker in your left ear and in your right ear. So this simple trick perfectly simulates speakers being in front of you.
Next trick is to simulate room in which you are listening. I want to simulate echoes and resonances from walls. So I assume sound first hits wall behind speakers and then it hits the wall behind the listener. I could complicate model much more, but I already find hard to manage Jack connections, so I stuck to this simplified model. In order to implement it I connect output from channel "1" on mixer to another JackRack, where I set several effects. I set delay to obtain echo, and I set low pass filter to simulate damping, and then I set comb filter to simulate resonance from walls. The output from that rack I connect to input of channel "3" on mixer. Next I want to simulate wall behind the listener. Again to do that I take output from channel "3" on mixer and connect it to another JackRack, where I set delay and matrix spatialiser, which inverts the phase so that sound seems to be coming from behind the listener. The output goes to mixer channel "4".
I set all parameters empirically, so scientifically looking at them they can be completely wrong, but to my ears result is IMHO very cool, actually I think I might prefer it over Dolby Headphone.
Here is screen with settings I came up for rock genre:
Edited by koolas - 3/2/14 at 4:20ampost #717 of 8593/19/14 at 10:00pmpost #718 of 8593/19/14 at 11:02pmThread StarterQuote:
There's no password or username needed, that's only if you want to login to mediafire. Just wait 5 secs and the link is redirected to the currently working link.post #719 of 8593/28/14 at 9:35ampost #720 of 8594/6/14 at 11:25am
I finally registered on this forum after tinkering around with the 2 preloaded setups (laid back and forward).
Personally, I'd feel the forward one to be a lot more.. engaging, feels like a much more immersive experience. Would like to know if this can be applied to games, videos (off youtube and such) and movies too?
Also, im currently using an ATH AD-700 pair of headphones paired with an Asus Xonar DX 7.1 sound card. Is there anything else I could do to optimize or enhance the experience? :D
Lastly, just wanna say thanks for such an amazing work, really made listening to music so much better!
EDIT: I'm also currently having the Xonar DX Audio Center program open and set to 8 Channels (Audio Channel), PCM 192Khz (Sample Rate) and Headphone (Analog Out). Under the SPDIF section, PCM is left unchecked while both 7.1 Virtual Speaker and Dolby Headphones are checked. Do let me know if I've done anything wrong.
EDIT2: I'm not sure what I did regarding exclusive mode or enabling the WASPI mode but now my youtube videos have no sound. Same goes for twitch.tv (live streaming service for games). Anyone able to help?
Kinda of a newbie towards these things but would be glad and willing to learn!
Edited by gabbylee690 - 4/6/14 at 11:42am
- Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Moon Audio silver dragon JH Audio 4 pin to 4.4mm Sony cable ( new... 4 hours ago
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 8 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 9 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 12 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 13 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 13 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 13 hours, 51 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 14 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 15 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 15 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear