Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss! - Page 31

post #451 of 729

I was playing with my Electri Q and it messed up and now I can never play it normal just in safe mode. In safe mode I can't set my eq, so I got the laidback version and it works now.

post #452 of 729
Thread Starter 

I've now updated the the "forward" config in the first page to the latest less reverb config (the latest I provided on the previous page + some small tweak). I'm always so positively suprised how much better this latest config is in transparency and detail compared to the old a bit more reverby config.

 

 

Pre-configured packagefoobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.(Forward.Less.Reverb)-RPGWiZaRD

 

Manuall install fbcp filefoobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.(Forward.Less.Reverb)-RPGWiZaRD.fbcp 

Use DSP chain serialization helper plugin to load the .fbcp file by holding down shift key while clicking the playback dropdown menu -> DSP chain serializer -> load.

 

PS, it's set to "DS: Primary Sound Driver" output device for compatibility reasons like usual, I strongly recommend you use WASAPI if possible as it's been tweaked to sound optimal with that.

 

 

And finally here's a short demo track I've uploaded with the new config

post #453 of 729

new update? Niiiice I have been using your forward config for a few months and now there is no turning back for me (lol)

 

 

Though, I have to say that in some rare cases, there seem to be loss of details, like, some instruments was intentionally "placed" close to my ears, and your config put them "far away", makes me barely hear them at all. 

currently using my HD202.

 

sorry for the crappy english, its not my first language :P.

post #454 of 729
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrequencyBlue View Post

new update? Niiiice I have been using your forward config for a few months and now there is no turning back for me (lol)

 

 

Though, I have to say that in some rare cases, there seem to be loss of details, like, some instruments was intentionally "placed" close to my ears, and your config put them "far away", makes me barely hear them at all. 

currently using my HD202.

 

sorry for the crappy english, its not my first language :P.

 

You need to use WASAPI / ASIO as it should place them more closer than far away, with DirectSound output it may happen though.

post #455 of 729

Another excellent edition, my friend! Thank you so much!

 

Terry

post #456 of 729

Is the balanced (forward) the new less-reverb version?

I also see balanced (less-reverb) as a dropdown option? Is that something else.?

post #457 of 729
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenberg3 View Post

Is the balanced (forward) the new less-reverb version?

I also see balanced (less-reverb) as a dropdown option? Is that something else.?

 

If you have that option in the list it's probably not the latest, the latest should be found in the first page. Anyway I might upload a slightly tweaked version soon, just need to spend some time with it comparing so I know I concider it an improvement first.

 

I don't know what to do with the laid-back config either as I think it sounds quite **** compared to the forward setting haha. ^^ Would make the thread cleaner and easier to maintain with one config.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 8/10/12 at 12:34am
post #458 of 729

How do I remove this?  I really want just stock foobar back so i just did a portable install and re-installed the skin i like but now none of the album names show up in the playlist and i just want it back to like it was before :(((

post #459 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by erratik View Post

How do I remove this?  I really want just stock foobar back so i just did a portable install and re-installed the skin i like but now none of the album names show up in the playlist and i just want it back to like it was before frown.gif((

Go to:
File -> Preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager.
And then remove all the DSP's by clicking on them in the left half, and clicking the arrow pointing to the right.
post #460 of 729
Thread Starter 

He's probably just talking about the appearence in the playlist. Well I specificly write on the first page to extract the package to another location at from where you should just first verify if you like what you're hearing and not and save your old foobar2000 folder in case you don't like it to avoid losing some specific combo you've made regarding the appearence or what not.

post #461 of 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

He's probably just talking about the appearence in the playlist. Well I specificly write on the first page to extract the package to another location at from where you should just first verify if you like what you're hearing and not and save your old foobar2000 folder in case you don't like it to avoid losing some specific combo you've made regarding the appearence or what not.

Well, I don't think the dolby config has any affect on the way the playlist is displaying, but i have no idea how I was able to get the albums to show up originally.  I tried to do a new portable install and then set up my theme but it didn't display right and i just have no clue where that setting might be O_O lol

 

thanks guys

post #462 of 729
Thread Starter 

You set it up there in File -> Preferences -> Display area. Then there's subcategories for example for the playlist and there you can enter what it should display.

post #463 of 729
Thread Starter 

OK I've updated the "forward" config slightly now, should be slightly better EQ'd in the bass + highs and the soundstage should have ever so slightly more depth. What's also nice is that DirectSound output seems to work very good with this config too and not just WASAPI.

 

---------------------------------

 

Portable foobar2000 v1.1.6 "Forward" configuration: foobar2000.v1.1.6.Dolby.Headphone.(Forward)-RPGWiZaRD.zip - RECOMMENDED! (Updated on 13.8.2012)

 

Note: For best result I also recommend changing to WASAPI output manually in the foobar2000 File -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output afterwards, it's been set to Direct Sound by default for compatibility reasons. If you use WASAPI you'll need to match your output device setting with the same bitrate as set in foobar2000 and make sure the music files are using same sample rate (for example 44100 Hz) as set in the output device properties in windows control panel or alternatively use a resampler plugin in foobar2000. If using DirectSound Output I recommend testing using Windows speaker config in control panel set to 5.1 speakers.

Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 8/13/12 at 5:56am
post #464 of 729

Thanks for this new config, will try them.

 

WASAPI still sounds better with this Config or DirectSound is also good enough? I prefer DirectSound because I use many of your config and WASAPI does allow only one active foobar.

post #465 of 729
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicinmymind View Post

Thanks for this new config, will try them.

 

WASAPI still sounds better with this Config or DirectSound is also good enough? I prefer DirectSound because I use many of your config and WASAPI does allow only one active foobar.

 

I still prefer WASAPI slightly but DirectSound + 5.1 speakers set in windows is near too, it's almost as the soundstage is a bit different with DirectSound + 5.1 (better(?)), WASAPI doesn't seem to be affected as much by the 5.1 speakers for some reason so it doesn't matter if it's set to stereo or 5.1 when using WASAPI. However the mids/vocals may appear ever so slightly more forward using WASAPI but using DirectSound it's at least as forward / slightly more forward sounding than stock foobar2000 already. I do think using WASAPI has the greatest benefit when using this config in terms of transparency and clarity in the mids though but it's not a night and day difference, I can still usually enjoy the tracks with both output modes, the difference is now very small compared to previously.

 

EDIT: Forgot another benefit with WASAPI is that in very loudly mastered tracks (which basicly already has measurable clipping), say typical hardstyle tracks which has loud complex bass + complex midrange playing at the sametime the DirectSound may struggle to sound "non-clipped" (clipped isn't really the right word to use here though, it acts more like as if a limiter would be in use) / "muted" in the mids at which transparency is greatly impacted compared to using WASAPI but this is where I particularly noticed a big difference with DirectSound compared to previously, it didn't get "muted/muffled" in these parts that it was very apparent previously that WASAPI managed to output a louder volume level without starting to get "muffled". Now DS also plays like aprox 80% of the loudly mastered HS quite nicely I'd say without any loss in clarity. For other genres this is usually not a concern. But this only applies when using this config during actual playback with the config activated, if I use the "convert" function (right click in the playlist of the selected tracks and choose Convert -> Forward (balanced)) and convert the files itself to be processed with this DSP config it will sound pretty much the same as WASAPI under all circumstances when playing the converted files.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 8/13/12 at 11:57am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!