Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ugh...i become a fan of GRADO headphones LOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ugh...i become a fan of GRADO headphones LOL - Page 6

post #76 of 135

sell  the rest and get the sr325is!!!

post #77 of 135

Are the SR325i's a significant step up from the 225s?

post #78 of 135

Thew new chrome SR325is has a different sound from SR225i. There is some new warmth introduced in the bass and midrange region. The midrange is noticeably more thick with the upper mids toned down. It sounds less bright than the SR225i, enough that using jumbo pads does not sound shrill on the SR325is. You may want to audition before buying, the change could be good/bad depending on your preferences. I've never heard the golden SR325 before; I own a vintage black SR325 right now and I'm quite happy with the sound I'm hearing from it having owned numerous grados up to the RS1i.


Edited by kite7 - 5/30/11 at 8:30pm
post #79 of 135

Which of the 2 has superior bass?

post #80 of 135

Call me inexperienced because I've only owned one pair of high-quality headphones, but I love my Grado SR80is.  I have had them for about six months now and think they sound fantastic.  I'm scared to go out looking for other headphones simply because as a college student I really need the money for other things.  There's also the chance that listening to other 'phones will make me disappointed in my SR80is, which I would hate.  Overall, though, I think they're absolutely phenomenal.

post #81 of 135

SR325is' bass is without a doubt better than the SR225i, there's more of it and better lower presence

post #82 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post

Call me inexperienced because I've only owned one pair of high-quality headphones, but I love my Grado SR80is.  I have had them for about six months now and think they sound fantastic.  I'm scared to go out looking for other headphones simply because as a college student I really need the money for other things.  There's also the chance that listening to other 'phones will make me disappointed in my SR80is, which I would hate.  Overall, though, I think they're absolutely phenomenal.



This is a common experience with everyone. The first "audiophile" headphone always seems out of this world amazing because it's your first. I can't even begin to describe how much I loved my first real headphone (Denon D2000), which I actually used for 6 months too before trying others. They seem totally flawless, right? But you'll see what happens once you try other cans, things change radically. I still love my D2000's so much, but there's A LOT out there. Enjoy your SR80i's and expand once you have some money if you wish. If you listen to better cans and go back to your SR80i's, yea chances are you will be disappointed, and that's not a good situation to be in when you don't have the money to upgrade.

post #83 of 135

Don't be afraid to jump up to the SR-125 just because you feel that it's only marginally better. The difference is definitely there. I went all the way from the 60's to the 225's to recabled 225's by ALO, then I just bought 225's to recable myself and here I am today, sitting on a mountain of Grados.

 

Could I just buy the SR-325s? Yeah, probably but I bought each one of them at a certain point in my life and I remember each one very fondly and they're going to stay mine!

post #84 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite7 View Post

SR325is' bass is without a doubt better than the SR225i, there's more of it and better lower presence



Looks like I'll try the 325i then. Does it work the same way with the 414 pads?

post #85 of 135

I've been reading the threads about Grado mods, and it's been suggested that with enough modifying, the lower end Grados are comparable to the higher end Grados.  I have a feeling I'm going to go along this route at least for a bit.  I don't think it'll cost all that much to turn my SR80is into woodied-SR80is (with me doing the work, of course), and I may or may not recable them.  That way, I can improve the quality of my phones without dropping several hundred on phones that I may or may not like.  There's a Guitar Center not too far from my house (~8 miles) that I may be able to sample headphones at, but I feel like you can't really determine whether or not you'll enjoy them just from a few minutes' listening.  I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable with purchasing headphones just to try them for a while before selling them again.

post #86 of 135

Give some consideration to the MS2i as well. Many people find it more pleasing with awesome sound on the same level(some consider better than) the 325i. Less sibilance and etc. Yes they work the same way with 414 plus 414 is nicer cause it gets you closer to the driver
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post





Looks like I'll try the 325i then. Does it work the same way with the 414 pads?



 

post #87 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post

I've been reading the threads about Grado mods, and it's been suggested that with enough modifying, the lower end Grados are comparable to the higher end Grados.  I have a feeling I'm going to go along this route at least for a bit.  I don't think it'll cost all that much to turn my SR80is into woodied-SR80is (with me doing the work, of course), and I may or may not recable them.  That way, I can improve the quality of my phones without dropping several hundred on phones that I may or may not like.  There's a Guitar Center not too far from my house (~8 miles) that I may be able to sample headphones at, but I feel like you can't really determine whether or not you'll enjoy them just from a few minutes' listening.  I don't know if I'll ever be comfortable with purchasing headphones just to try them for a while before selling them again.



This is what I've been doing to find my right headphone, and it's worked out pretty well so far thanks to Amazon's return policy. I get it, A/B it with the other cans, then keep it around or return it and try other cans. Nothing to be uncomfortable about with 30 days to return, only downside is it takes some time and costs a little to return.

post #88 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post





This is what I've been doing to find my right headphone, and it's worked out pretty well so far thanks to Amazon's return policy. I get it, A/B it with the other cans, then keep it around or return it and try other cans. Nothing to be uncomfortable about with 30 days to return, only downside is it takes some time and costs a little to return.


I feel like Amazon really wouldn't like its users to do this though... it means they're losing money.  I almost feel as though doing this too often will cause Amazon to somehow suspend your account.  I haven't ever returned anything to Amazon though, so I really can't say if this is the case. 

 

post #89 of 135

 

I'm gonna do a repost of what I said in another forum since it's actually more relevant towards this thread:

 

So basically my friend who is having me recable his HD-600's asked me about Grados. In about 24 hours I got him into a set of Ally MS2i's. This is the following e-mail he sent me later. NOTE: he eventually got used to the treble. He'd never heard Grados before and any of the lineup will induce treble fatigue for the first week or so, then you just kinda get used to it and you can't listen to anything else.

 

"Hi Chris

 
I've attached a few quick pics of the MS2i before I go out this evening.  I only listened to 'Jesus to a Child' by George Michael - I first listened with the HD 600 and then the MS2i.
 
The MS2i was much clearer and transparent.  Bass was good and treble very good.  The HD 600 was not as detailed but more balanced and you could listen to them for 2 hours easily without fatigue.  I think about 30 minutes would be enough with the MS2i, although the clarity on some songs (eg Chris Rea - Loves Strange Ways) is amazing. 
 
I played the Grados through my Matrix Mini-i and M-Stage combo and it sounds really good!!
 
I have to shoot off now but I'll give you more feedback later or tomorrow.  The pads need replacing as these fine specks of cushion are coming off like dust!
 
Let me know what you think"
 
ms2c.jpg
ms2a.jpg
ms2b.jpg
post #90 of 135

the new sr325is chrome and bushed steel are WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY 1000% in everyway better than the lowend shrill screachy earsplittingly harsh sr225is and lower.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ugh...i become a fan of GRADO headphones LOL