Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ugh...i become a fan of GRADO headphones LOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ugh...i become a fan of GRADO headphones LOL - Page 5

post #61 of 135

I suppose I could buy 225/335is + http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushions-Sennheiser-HD414-headphones/dp/B002B4OEZ0/ref=pd_sim_e_3 and see what it's like.

 

Does it involve modding, or do you just slip them over the bowl?

post #62 of 135

Sounds like you should try S-Cush pads aka comfies or reversed HD414 pads. Jumbos fit but sound too shrill on the prestige series

post #63 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post





It pushes against that raised middle ear part (no idea what it's called) in one position, and the top of the ear and bottom in another. I couldn't find a single way to wear it comfortably. Perhaps on-ear headphones aren't for me, or is the grado design itself the issue? Maybe I should try the SR-60, has a different cup design I think. Though it may be too low end to impress me.

Honestly it might be the Grado design. The pads for Grados are definitely not the comfiest, but when washed they are supposedly much more soft and forgiving. Also for me, supra aural (on ear) is hit or miss. I've tried some that are extremely comfortable and some that suck arse. You might be the same way, and maybe Grados are for you. Also like I said earlier, look into 414 pads. 
 

 

post #64 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite7 View Post

Sounds like you should try S-Cush pads aka comfies or reversed HD414 pads. Jumbos fit but sound too shrill on the prestige series

Bummer. I was hoping that they would be even more comfy and still keep the sound I've grown to love so much. frown.gif
 

 

post #65 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post

I suppose I could buy 225/335is + http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushions-Sennheiser-HD414-headphones/dp/B002B4OEZ0/ref=pd_sim_e_3 and see what it's like.

 

Does it involve modding, or do you just slip them over the bowl?

No modding, just take the bowls off and slip on the HD414s! Its that simple. I might buy a pair myself and try 'em out.
 

 

post #66 of 135

Do I just slip the 414 pads over the bowls? Or does it require more?

 

Edit: Or maybe Grado L-Cush?


Edited by Alghazanth - 5/30/11 at 5:06pm
post #67 of 135

Oops, posted before you tongue.gif haha. Look up ^

post #68 of 135

I see, nice. Knowing I can just return them, what model should I dive for + the 414's? The 225i again, 325, or maybe RS1? Or better?

 

Are the 414s> L-cush? And what's this about quarter modding with the 414s?

post #69 of 135

Damn! I wish I had the money to splurge on the RS1! Honestly, if you aren't sure you are gonna like them, I would go for the 225i again. I think these are phenomenal cans, but everybody knows I'm a Grado fan boy tongue.gif. Also the quarter mod is simply cutting a hole in the 414 pad, right in the center, so that there is no foam blocking any sound. The hole should roughly be the size of a quarter, hence the name. 

 

People also do this, then turn the 414 over and attach it in reverse, so that the hole they cut is being used to attach them to the cups, and you get a bowlish kind of pad.

 

post #70 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingatheart View Post

Damn! I wish I had the money to splurge on the RS1! Honestly, if you aren't sure you are gonna like them, I would go for the 225i again. I think these are phenomenal cans, but everybody knows I'm a Grado fan boy tongue.gif. Also the quarter mod is simply cutting a hole in the 414 pad, right in the center, so that there is no foam blocking any sound. The hole should roughly be the size of a quarter, hence the name. 

 

People also do this, then turn the 414 over and attach it in reverse, so that the hole they cut is being used to attach them to the cups, and you get a bowlish kind of pad.

 


Is it better to do that, or to just slip them on?

 

Also, do you think the RS-1 is significantly better than the 225i? I don't care about the price since I can return it for like $10 if I don't like it, and I can afford to keep it if I do.

 

post #71 of 135

I've never tried the RS1 so I couldn't tell ya. Also I like the way that quarter modded pads sound so I might stick with that. If you want to try it the other way, it will literally take 10 seconds to flip them around though. biggrin.gif

post #72 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingatheart View Post

I've never tried the RS1 so I couldn't tell ya. Also I like the way that quarter modded pads sound so I might stick with that. If you want to try it the other way, it will literally take 10 seconds to flip them around though. biggrin.gif



Cool. Have you tried any other headphones for Metal outside of Grados?

post #73 of 135

Not besides my PortaPros haha biggrin.gif. I was looking into some beyerdynamics a while back, but never jumped on 'em. I might give them a try sometime though.

 

To be honest, the reason I never left Grado for something else is because Grado does it right IMHO. Acoustic music sounds so fresh and real, while the electric guitars and fast paced drumming of metal is lively and energetic. For some though, the comfort (or lack there of) and clarity in the highs are just too much. I personally find them suitably comfortable and the highs are just right.

post #74 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingatheart View Post

Not besides my PortaPros haha biggrin.gif. I was looking into some beyerdynamics a while back, but never jumped on 'em. I might give them a try sometime though.

 

To be honest, the reason I never left Grado for something else is because Grado does it right IMHO. Acoustic music sounds so fresh and real, while the electric guitars and fast paced drumming of metal is lively and energetic. For some though, the comfort (or lack there of) and clarity in the highs are just too much. I personally find them suitably comfortable and the highs are just right.

I think after I test my LCD-2s and DT990/600s on Wednesday if I'm still looking around I'm definitely trying Grado again. That said, I personally haven't found anything overall as good for Metal as Denon. I sold my D7000 because of my T1's, but now I find my T1's to be totally unengaging and am in love with my old D2Ks (at 1/5 the price) all over again. I just can't resist headbanging with them tongue.gif The bass especially just works perfectly for Metal, and gives Djent in particular an unbelievable sound. 

 

I want to try the RS1's the most, but there's a worrisome quote in MacedonianHero's T1 review: "They even rival my all time favourite rock cans the Grado RS1s". Considering the T1's are no fun for me anymore, that can't be good.
 


Edited by Alghazanth - 5/30/11 at 5:51pm
post #75 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alghazanth View Post



I think after I test my LCD-2s and DT990/600s on Wednesday if I'm still looking around I'm definitely trying Grado again. That said, I personally haven't found anything overall as good for Metal as Denon. I sold my D7000 because of my T1's, but now I find my T1's to be totally unengaging and am in love with my old D2Ks (at 1/5 the price) all over again. I just can't resist headbanging with them tongue.gif The bass especially just works perfectly for Metal, and gives Djent in particular an unbelievable sound. 

 

I want to try the RS1's the most, but there's a worrisome quote in MacedonianHero's T1 review: "They even rival my all time favourite rock cans the Grado RS1s". Considering the T1's are no fun for me anymore, that can't be good.
 

Maybe go for the 225i or 325i then? They are definitely going to have a different signature than the RS1. 
 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › ugh...i become a fan of GRADO headphones LOL