I am about to order a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, and i also want to purchase an amp with a DAC. I want to spend about 150-200 dollars. I also would like it to be for my house so it needs to be able to plug into my laptop. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
- productAudio-gd NFB 12tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone amp for ATH-M50 - no budget - flat frequency response Last post on 6/6/11 at 6:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- AKG Q701 questions? Last post on 10/15/15 at 10:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a Headphone AMP for 100$ Last post on 9/26/11 at 7:04am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP/DAC for Beyer DT990 600 Last post on 9/28/11 at 7:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphone upgrade or amp? Last post on 9/13/11 at 11:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Warm, good sounding player with no harshness. Spacious and natural sound. Easy to listen for long time without any fatigue. Fiio x5 II sounds more neutral and analytical with harshness on upper...
Pros: Smooth sound, Great fit, Long listening without fatigue Cons: Expensive, sound signature takes some getting used too Introduction: I love music and I love good quality sound and...
INTRO:- When Brainwavz decides to Launch earphones they don’t release one at a time, they like to launch 2-5 earphones in a short period of time. First the M100, first of its kind or say...
The TH900 is magical. It's the hot rod of flagship, makes no apologies, and takes no prisoners IF, you wanna take it that far. This phone just begs to be driven, and it just keeps producing. I find...
Great lil on-ear headphone but a lil bit uncomfortable on ear. Not for someone who loves heavy bass but good for seeking clarity ;) My opinion, my first AKG product. Tried the AKG Y50 but to me,...
ATH-M50 amppost #1 of 175/21/11 at 4:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 175/21/11 at 4:52pm
ATH-M50 don't need amping. They benefit marginally at best.
For home listening at $200 I'd look at the FiiO E7/E9 and the Audio-gd NFB-12. Both are DAC/amp combo boxes. The E9 and NFB-12 are not portable though. Are you looking for something that's portable as well as suitable for home listening?post #3 of 175/21/11 at 6:35pmThread Starter
portability is an option but its not necessary. and if i get the fiio E7 and E9 they go together, and is portable and cheaper than the Audio-gd NFB-12. do you think thats the best way to go?post #4 of 175/21/11 at 8:37pm
Between the E7/E9 and the NFB-12, I'd pick the NFB-12 any day of the week. But that's just a matter of personal preference. I have a separate portable rig, so I try not to mix the two.
In your situation, if you're looking for portability, I'd look at iBasso product line. I unfortunately haven't heard their products, but some Head-Fiers have reported good results, and the products are portable, so that may be more up your alley. It would be worth researching.post #5 of 175/21/11 at 8:43pm
The the most noticeable improvement from the headphone jack on your computer and the E7 will come from the DAC. The M50 improves marginally at best with an amp, but a good DAC can improve just about any headphone (well, maybe not the beats or ibuds... ).post #6 of 175/22/11 at 5:31amThread Starterpost #7 of 175/22/11 at 7:35ampost #8 of 175/22/11 at 8:54amThread Starter
Ok thanks for the site, but im not to sure if i want to order throught an email message. Than seems a little sketchy for me. I really like the idead of getting both the fiio E7 and E9 because i can use it as portability and for my home computer. I will look at some reviews on youtube and this forum. If you guys can tell me your oppinion on the fiio setup that would be great.post #9 of 175/22/11 at 11:26am
Seems that way initially, but many many people on Head-Fi can vouch for Audio-gd, including some of the senior members. Their products are popular here, given the high performance to price ratio.post #10 of 175/22/11 at 1:06pmpost #11 of 175/22/11 at 3:17pm
I'll x4 on the M50s not needing an amp.
Though, if you must, I'd probably go with the Audio-GD NFB-12 as well for that price range. I haven't heard the FiiO combo OR the Audio-GD for that matter -- this is just based on what I've read on these forums. I actually thought about getting the NFB-12 myself though, but ended up with a Schiit Asgard for Grados/M50s/and in the near future, Senn 600s. If I'm not mistaken, the FiiO is a USB DAC while the NFB-12 has coax / optical inputs, which might be something to think about if your laptop has optical (Apple laptop?).post #12 of 175/22/11 at 5:10pmThread Starter
No i completley understand that an amp isnt needed with my headphones, but i have heard that a DAC is great to have with any pair of headphones so i just thought if i am getting a DAC i might as well as get one with a built in amp. If anyone has a better way to save money by just getting a DAC please tell me the name of it and i will look into it. As for the NFB-12 i will think about it because i understand that people buy from them a lot, but i dont like doing that unless i have to and the fiio being portable as well.post #13 of 175/22/11 at 8:51pm
Best move I ever made was decoupling my DAC from my amps. Sure, two devices and you need a cable of some description, but the two fullsize DAC/amps I owned were majorly compromised in favour of the DAC. It might be different at the M903 end of the market, but down here in the cheap seats .....post #14 of 175/23/11 at 1:16pmThread Starterpost #15 of 175/27/11 at 11:37pm
If using with a laptop, then are you looking for a USB DAC? In that case, a Pro-ject USB box is good enough. I personally use a D7000 for desktop listening (with the Pro-ject) and the M-50 with my iPhone (portable indoors).
- ATH-M50 amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 3 seconds ago
- › DX200 Details, features and specifications 1st page. With WiFi and... 14 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 19 seconds ago
- › The Other Metal Thread: No Extreme Metal Zone! 20 seconds ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 48 seconds ago
- › Benjie S5 Offical Thread 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Zishan dsd's corner 4 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 4 minutes ago
- › Echobox: The Unveiling @ CES 2015 7 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega by Currawong
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by vincik
- › 64 Audio U12 Universal In-Ear Monitor by subguy812
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by suman134
- › Fostex TH 900 by Scott Branham
- › AKG K403 by IkuMiku96
- › InEar ProPhile 8 by FortisFlyer75
- › MusicMaker Ting by Redcarmoose
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by mgunin
- › Empire Ears Zeus by EagleWings
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear