I am about to order a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, and i also want to purchase an amp with a DAC. I want to spend about 150-200 dollars. I also would like it to be for my house so it needs to be able to plug into my laptop. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
- productAudio-gd NFB 12tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone amp for ATH-M50 - no budget - flat frequency response Last post on 6/6/11 at 6:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- AKG Q701 questions? Last post on 5/30/13 at 2:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a Headphone AMP for 100$ Last post on 9/26/11 at 7:04am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP/DAC for Beyer DT990 600 Last post on 9/28/11 at 7:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphone upgrade or amp? Last post on 9/13/11 at 11:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
USED Shure E5, 425, 535 EX1000 is a good start to have a taste of pro sound. Islation is not that good when music isnt playing.
got one bad connection and replaced. But still you have to carry it carefully. Sound quality definitely improved.
ATH-M50 amppost #1 of 175/21/11 at 4:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 175/21/11 at 4:52pm
ATH-M50 don't need amping. They benefit marginally at best.
For home listening at $200 I'd look at the FiiO E7/E9 and the Audio-gd NFB-12. Both are DAC/amp combo boxes. The E9 and NFB-12 are not portable though. Are you looking for something that's portable as well as suitable for home listening?post #3 of 175/21/11 at 6:35pmThread Starter
portability is an option but its not necessary. and if i get the fiio E7 and E9 they go together, and is portable and cheaper than the Audio-gd NFB-12. do you think thats the best way to go?post #4 of 175/21/11 at 8:37pm
Between the E7/E9 and the NFB-12, I'd pick the NFB-12 any day of the week. But that's just a matter of personal preference. I have a separate portable rig, so I try not to mix the two.
In your situation, if you're looking for portability, I'd look at iBasso product line. I unfortunately haven't heard their products, but some Head-Fiers have reported good results, and the products are portable, so that may be more up your alley. It would be worth researching.post #5 of 175/21/11 at 8:43pm
The the most noticeable improvement from the headphone jack on your computer and the E7 will come from the DAC. The M50 improves marginally at best with an amp, but a good DAC can improve just about any headphone (well, maybe not the beats or ibuds... ).post #6 of 175/22/11 at 5:31amThread Starterpost #7 of 175/22/11 at 7:35ampost #8 of 175/22/11 at 8:54amThread Starter
Ok thanks for the site, but im not to sure if i want to order throught an email message. Than seems a little sketchy for me. I really like the idead of getting both the fiio E7 and E9 because i can use it as portability and for my home computer. I will look at some reviews on youtube and this forum. If you guys can tell me your oppinion on the fiio setup that would be great.post #9 of 175/22/11 at 11:26am
Seems that way initially, but many many people on Head-Fi can vouch for Audio-gd, including some of the senior members. Their products are popular here, given the high performance to price ratio.post #10 of 175/22/11 at 1:06pmpost #11 of 175/22/11 at 3:17pm
I'll x4 on the M50s not needing an amp.
Though, if you must, I'd probably go with the Audio-GD NFB-12 as well for that price range. I haven't heard the FiiO combo OR the Audio-GD for that matter -- this is just based on what I've read on these forums. I actually thought about getting the NFB-12 myself though, but ended up with a Schiit Asgard for Grados/M50s/and in the near future, Senn 600s. If I'm not mistaken, the FiiO is a USB DAC while the NFB-12 has coax / optical inputs, which might be something to think about if your laptop has optical (Apple laptop?).post #12 of 175/22/11 at 5:10pmThread Starter
No i completley understand that an amp isnt needed with my headphones, but i have heard that a DAC is great to have with any pair of headphones so i just thought if i am getting a DAC i might as well as get one with a built in amp. If anyone has a better way to save money by just getting a DAC please tell me the name of it and i will look into it. As for the NFB-12 i will think about it because i understand that people buy from them a lot, but i dont like doing that unless i have to and the fiio being portable as well.post #13 of 175/22/11 at 8:51pm
Best move I ever made was decoupling my DAC from my amps. Sure, two devices and you need a cable of some description, but the two fullsize DAC/amps I owned were majorly compromised in favour of the DAC. It might be different at the M903 end of the market, but down here in the cheap seats .....post #14 of 175/23/11 at 1:16pmThread Starterpost #15 of 175/27/11 at 11:37pm
If using with a laptop, then are you looking for a USB DAC? In that case, a Pro-ject USB box is good enough. I personally use a D7000 for desktop listening (with the Pro-ject) and the M-50 with my iPhone (portable indoors).
- ATH-M50 amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 54 seconds ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 57 seconds ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 1 minute ago
- › Is it worth to buy a portable DAP aside from a Smartphone? 1 minute ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100 - Comfortable, or not? 2 minutes ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Is Official! August 29-30, 2015! 4 minutes ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 5 minutes ago
- › Review: RHA MA-750 (one of the best sub $200 IEM's around) 7 minutes ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones by Chu
- › Calyx Audio PaT Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier - Gold by nmatheis
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2