I am about to order a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, and i also want to purchase an amp with a DAC. I want to spend about 150-200 dollars. I also would like it to be for my house so it needs to be able to plug into my laptop. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
- productAudio-gd NFB 12tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50Stagged by System, 3/7/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone amp for ATH-M50 - no budget - flat frequency response Last post on 6/6/11 at 6:20pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- AKG Q701 questions? Last post on 10/15/15 at 10:50am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a Headphone AMP for 100$ Last post on 9/26/11 at 7:04am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP/DAC for Beyer DT990 600 Last post on 9/28/11 at 7:30am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphone upgrade or amp? Last post on 9/13/11 at 11:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Hidizs AP60 Review: A Tiny Little Fighter Hidizs is a Chinese company that’s been building DAPs for number of years now, starting with their current flagship, the AP100, a device I’ve really...
REVIEW: Remax RM-800MD Specifications: Driver: Knowles Balanced armature + 9.2mm dynamic driver Impedance: 16ohm Sensitivity: 98dB Frequency Response: 20Hz-20 kHz Price: U$D...
First of all, I'd like to thank Burson Audio for giving me this opportunity. I really mean it. Secondly, this is my first review what so ever so please bear that in mind :) . I got home one...
Inside the box Besides the headphone's being neatly folded inside of the box, they give you an manual and two cables. The first cable is an USB cable which is used to charge the battery inside of...
For larger images - please click individual photosINTRODUCTIONThis was the 2nd round of the HifiMan review tour of the two new DAPs in their portfolio. I posted the review of the SuperMini earlier...
ATH-M50 amppost #1 of 175/21/11 at 4:39pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 175/21/11 at 4:52pm
ATH-M50 don't need amping. They benefit marginally at best.
For home listening at $200 I'd look at the FiiO E7/E9 and the Audio-gd NFB-12. Both are DAC/amp combo boxes. The E9 and NFB-12 are not portable though. Are you looking for something that's portable as well as suitable for home listening?post #3 of 175/21/11 at 6:35pmThread Starter
portability is an option but its not necessary. and if i get the fiio E7 and E9 they go together, and is portable and cheaper than the Audio-gd NFB-12. do you think thats the best way to go?post #4 of 175/21/11 at 8:37pm
Between the E7/E9 and the NFB-12, I'd pick the NFB-12 any day of the week. But that's just a matter of personal preference. I have a separate portable rig, so I try not to mix the two.
In your situation, if you're looking for portability, I'd look at iBasso product line. I unfortunately haven't heard their products, but some Head-Fiers have reported good results, and the products are portable, so that may be more up your alley. It would be worth researching.post #5 of 175/21/11 at 8:43pm
The the most noticeable improvement from the headphone jack on your computer and the E7 will come from the DAC. The M50 improves marginally at best with an amp, but a good DAC can improve just about any headphone (well, maybe not the beats or ibuds... ).post #6 of 175/22/11 at 5:31amThread Starterpost #7 of 175/22/11 at 7:35ampost #8 of 175/22/11 at 8:54amThread Starter
Ok thanks for the site, but im not to sure if i want to order throught an email message. Than seems a little sketchy for me. I really like the idead of getting both the fiio E7 and E9 because i can use it as portability and for my home computer. I will look at some reviews on youtube and this forum. If you guys can tell me your oppinion on the fiio setup that would be great.post #9 of 175/22/11 at 11:26am
Seems that way initially, but many many people on Head-Fi can vouch for Audio-gd, including some of the senior members. Their products are popular here, given the high performance to price ratio.post #10 of 175/22/11 at 1:06pmpost #11 of 175/22/11 at 3:17pm
I'll x4 on the M50s not needing an amp.
Though, if you must, I'd probably go with the Audio-GD NFB-12 as well for that price range. I haven't heard the FiiO combo OR the Audio-GD for that matter -- this is just based on what I've read on these forums. I actually thought about getting the NFB-12 myself though, but ended up with a Schiit Asgard for Grados/M50s/and in the near future, Senn 600s. If I'm not mistaken, the FiiO is a USB DAC while the NFB-12 has coax / optical inputs, which might be something to think about if your laptop has optical (Apple laptop?).post #12 of 175/22/11 at 5:10pmThread Starter
No i completley understand that an amp isnt needed with my headphones, but i have heard that a DAC is great to have with any pair of headphones so i just thought if i am getting a DAC i might as well as get one with a built in amp. If anyone has a better way to save money by just getting a DAC please tell me the name of it and i will look into it. As for the NFB-12 i will think about it because i understand that people buy from them a lot, but i dont like doing that unless i have to and the fiio being portable as well.post #13 of 175/22/11 at 8:51pm
Best move I ever made was decoupling my DAC from my amps. Sure, two devices and you need a cable of some description, but the two fullsize DAC/amps I owned were majorly compromised in favour of the DAC. It might be different at the M903 end of the market, but down here in the cheap seats .....post #14 of 175/23/11 at 1:16pmThread Starterpost #15 of 175/27/11 at 11:37pm
If using with a laptop, then are you looking for a USB DAC? In that case, a Pro-ject USB box is good enough. I personally use a D7000 for desktop listening (with the Pro-ject) and the M-50 with my iPhone (portable indoors).
- ATH-M50 amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Bicycle-Fi! 20 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 1 minute ago
- › Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9! 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Desktop speaker amp for my PC? 3 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › UpTone Audio USB REGEN 5 minutes ago
- › Just arrived! Pioneer Monitor 10 (with pictures) 6 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 6 minutes ago
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Cinder
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by Cinder
- › Remax RM-800MD by Zelda
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by killerline
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...