I have been using the FiiO amps on all my headphones (see signature), and the E9 is used for the more demanding headphones like the Thunderpants, HD600, and DT990/600ohm. The source is coming from an iPod classic going through the Pure i20's DAC. Is it possible to have these headphones perform any better from a different amp/dac setup? I'm only willing to spend about $100 more than what the FiiO E7/E9 combo costs. So the budget is around ~$300. The Pure i20 has digital out (coaxial/optical outs), so I'd like an amp + dac combo that has coaxial/optical in and the setup will look like: iPod > Pure i20 > (new amp/dac) > headphones. Any recommendations are appreciated. DIY amp/dac stuff is fine with me as well. Thanks!
- productAudio-gd nfb 11tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- if someone familiar with hd650+600 and denon please take a look Last post on 9/22/11 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New guy here, suggest me some upgrades! Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Simple amp for DT880 600Ohm ($300-350 ish) Last post on 8/9/11 at 8:01pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Amp/DAC recommendations for HD 650 Last post on 3/9/11 at 2:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I must admit, until recently, I was not aware of the Master and Dynamic brand. I had heard about them on the forums, but never really read anything about them. Their recent model MH40 is their...
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
I just bought this headphone and it sound amazing, I did a burn in for about 20hr and the sound improve dramatically compared when the headphone was in the box. The comfort is phenomenal and due to...
Bought one of these to keep me going while I save for a replacement dac for my bedside rig. My previous Dac's have all been in the lower to mid end so this review is based on that level- Arcam,...
Details: Single balanced armature flagship universal IEMs from Final Audio Design Price: Heaven VII EU 550; Heaven VIII EU 600 Specs: Driver: Single BA | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: not...
Thinking of upgrading from the FiiO E7/E9.post #1 of 85/21/11 at 1:55pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 85/21/11 at 5:19pmpost #3 of 85/21/11 at 5:23pmThread StarterQuote:
Thanks for that suggestion! It's exactly what I'm looking for. Now how would they compare to the E9/E7 combo and what's price on them? Thanks!post #4 of 85/21/11 at 8:52pm
The E7/E9 combo is $200 USD. The NFB-11, by comparison, is $280 USD (but has to be shipped from China). I think shipping cost me about $40 USD.
As far as SQ goes, both are good buys at their respective prices. The E7 uses the Wolfson WM8740 chip, which is known to be a good chip. The Sabre32 ES9018 is a newer chip, and is being used in a lot of higher-end DACs as well. However, as far as which one is "better", that's highly dependent on the end user's ears.
The Wolfson chips tend to have good detail, but are also a little bit warm and smooth. If you've ever listened to a Zune straight out of the headphone jack, that's the kind of sound you get out of Wolfson chips (as the Zune line employs Wolfson chips for their onboard D/A conversion). The Sabre32, on the other hand, is highly-detailed and more neutral. I wouldn't describe it as analytical, but if there are flaws in your source, they're going to be glaringly obvious with this DAC chip. Based on its ruthlessness, I'd go with the Wolfson-based DAC if your source isn't up to snuff. Also, make note, this doesn't just mean that your files should be in 320kbps mp3 or lossless, because even the highest-quality audio files will sound horrendous if they weren't recorded/engineered/mastered properly.
The NFB-12 is basically the same as the NFB-11, except using the Wolfson WM8741 instead of the Sabre32 ES9018. At $200 USD, I always felt it was a better buy than the E7/E9, but seeing as you already own the E7/E9, I wouldn't go this route. It's not a significant enough upgrade.post #5 of 85/21/11 at 10:32pmThread Starter
Thanks a lot for the info sridhar3! I guess I'll wait a little bit and shop around because I hear FiiO is also coming out with new stuff like an amp with a built-in DAC and has coax/optical in. It's supposed to be better than the FiiO E9/E7 combo as well in both the amp aspect and the dac aspect.post #6 of 85/21/11 at 11:47pm
Quote:Originally Posted by sysfail
Thanks a lot for the info sridhar3! I guess I'll wait a little bit and shop around because I hear FiiO is also coming out with new stuff like an amp with a built-in DAC and has coax/optical in. It's supposed to be better than the FiiO E9/E7 combo as well in both the amp aspect and the dac aspect.
Anytime. Good luck with the hunt. It never ends >_<post #7 of 85/22/11 at 12:03amThread Starterpost #8 of 85/23/11 at 7:59pmThread Starter
I think I've narrowed it down to a few amps. The Cavalli CTH, CKKIII, and the NFB-11/12. Which would be the greatest upgrade from the FiiO E9 powering the headphones I have in my signature?
EDIT: I also decided on just getting a seperate DAC and amp. So I need DAC advices around the ~$150 price range with Coaxial/Optical input and will also support the sample/bit rates higher than the E7's 16/44 rates.
Edited by sysfail - 5/23/11 at 8:22pm
- Thinking of upgrading from the FiiO E7/E9.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite! 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B,... 1 minute ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE-x Pro Custom; Appreciation, Review & Discussion... 2 minutes ago
- › [Review] CK100PRO Unboxing & Impressions (+ a retrospective journey... 2 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 9 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 9 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 10 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 10 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones in Black M2AEBT by twister6
- › Noble 4 by Kuroneko Guy
- › Superlux HD669 by Philliphobia
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2