I have been using the FiiO amps on all my headphones (see signature), and the E9 is used for the more demanding headphones like the Thunderpants, HD600, and DT990/600ohm. The source is coming from an iPod classic going through the Pure i20's DAC. Is it possible to have these headphones perform any better from a different amp/dac setup? I'm only willing to spend about $100 more than what the FiiO E7/E9 combo costs. So the budget is around ~$300. The Pure i20 has digital out (coaxial/optical outs), so I'd like an amp + dac combo that has coaxial/optical in and the setup will look like: iPod > Pure i20 > (new amp/dac) > headphones. Any recommendations are appreciated. DIY amp/dac stuff is fine with me as well. Thanks!
- productAudio-gd nfb 11tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productBeyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohmtagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- if someone familiar with hd650+600 and denon please take a look Last post on 9/22/11 at 11:24pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New guy here, suggest me some upgrades! Last post on 9/7/11 at 5:09pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Simple amp for DT880 600Ohm ($300-350 ish) Last post on 8/9/11 at 8:01pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for Fiio E7 + E9 Last post on 6/14/11 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Amp/DAC recommendations for HD 650 Last post on 3/9/11 at 2:45am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
I bought this ckr9ltd from AliExpress for 47USD, less than the usual 120USD RRP. Few fellow buyer with original ckr9ltd claimed that this is a real deal. I have no problem whatsoever to believe...
Disclamer. I provided these Sony Z5 for myself just for the sheer sound of it. These were not given to me for any type of review. I am writing these impressions of these works of art due...
Background I ordered my pair of AAW A3H Pros during Black Friday weekend 2015 at a certain group-buying website, hoping to get my feet wet in the world of customs at a price that wouldn't break...
REVIEW - Fiio EM3 Fiio is not a company that needs any introduction. Known for its wide and affordable large Amp and DAC line, and well regarded since the release of the first DAP...
Thinking of upgrading from the FiiO E7/E9.post #1 of 85/21/11 at 1:55pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 85/21/11 at 5:19pmpost #3 of 85/21/11 at 5:23pmThread StarterQuote:
Thanks for that suggestion! It's exactly what I'm looking for. Now how would they compare to the E9/E7 combo and what's price on them? Thanks!post #4 of 85/21/11 at 8:52pm
The E7/E9 combo is $200 USD. The NFB-11, by comparison, is $280 USD (but has to be shipped from China). I think shipping cost me about $40 USD.
As far as SQ goes, both are good buys at their respective prices. The E7 uses the Wolfson WM8740 chip, which is known to be a good chip. The Sabre32 ES9018 is a newer chip, and is being used in a lot of higher-end DACs as well. However, as far as which one is "better", that's highly dependent on the end user's ears.
The Wolfson chips tend to have good detail, but are also a little bit warm and smooth. If you've ever listened to a Zune straight out of the headphone jack, that's the kind of sound you get out of Wolfson chips (as the Zune line employs Wolfson chips for their onboard D/A conversion). The Sabre32, on the other hand, is highly-detailed and more neutral. I wouldn't describe it as analytical, but if there are flaws in your source, they're going to be glaringly obvious with this DAC chip. Based on its ruthlessness, I'd go with the Wolfson-based DAC if your source isn't up to snuff. Also, make note, this doesn't just mean that your files should be in 320kbps mp3 or lossless, because even the highest-quality audio files will sound horrendous if they weren't recorded/engineered/mastered properly.
The NFB-12 is basically the same as the NFB-11, except using the Wolfson WM8741 instead of the Sabre32 ES9018. At $200 USD, I always felt it was a better buy than the E7/E9, but seeing as you already own the E7/E9, I wouldn't go this route. It's not a significant enough upgrade.post #5 of 85/21/11 at 10:32pmThread Starter
Thanks a lot for the info sridhar3! I guess I'll wait a little bit and shop around because I hear FiiO is also coming out with new stuff like an amp with a built-in DAC and has coax/optical in. It's supposed to be better than the FiiO E9/E7 combo as well in both the amp aspect and the dac aspect.post #6 of 85/21/11 at 11:47pm
Quote:Originally Posted by sysfail
Thanks a lot for the info sridhar3! I guess I'll wait a little bit and shop around because I hear FiiO is also coming out with new stuff like an amp with a built-in DAC and has coax/optical in. It's supposed to be better than the FiiO E9/E7 combo as well in both the amp aspect and the dac aspect.
Anytime. Good luck with the hunt. It never ends >_<post #7 of 85/22/11 at 12:03amThread Starterpost #8 of 85/23/11 at 7:59pmThread Starter
I think I've narrowed it down to a few amps. The Cavalli CTH, CKKIII, and the NFB-11/12. Which would be the greatest upgrade from the FiiO E9 powering the headphones I have in my signature?
EDIT: I also decided on just getting a seperate DAC and amp. So I need DAC advices around the ~$150 price range with Coaxial/Optical input and will also support the sample/bit rates higher than the E7's 16/44 rates.
Edited by sysfail - 5/23/11 at 8:22pm
- Thinking of upgrading from the FiiO E7/E9.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 24 seconds ago
- › VE Monks are too big for my ears. What can I get that is similar... 26 seconds ago
- › Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic... 28 seconds ago
- › New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+ 49 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 59 seconds ago
- › ☯️ CAVALLI AUDIO ➜ Liquid Carbon Final Production Run! 1 minute ago
- › Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7) 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 3 minutes ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 3 minutes ago
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › W4S Recovery USB Reclocker by leeperry
- › Somic v2 by mark2410
- › Jays q-JAYS v2.0 by NeObliviscaris
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...