Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone - Page 107

post #1591 of 1931

I think the thing to bear in mind is that - that's it - no amp, nothing extra to lug around.

Believe me I really held back on pressing the button. I was firmly from the 'no way will I buy at that price' camp.

I bought it from a retailer with a generous return policy because where I am, geographically, is an audio desert. After a thorough work out for a day or so I will not be returning it.

post #1592 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
 

Try it with the AK240. It's a beautiful full sound

 

.

Could you elaborate some on what you define as "beautiful full sound"? Thanks!

post #1593 of 1931

I've only had the 3003i for a few weeks and I was not impressed. With my AK120 Titan it seemed 'screechy' and not at all balanced. I was disappointed (extremely) and was about to write them off as a mistake. Maybe it's the lowering in impedance from 3 on the AK120 to 1 on the AK240. I tried combining the AK120 with the Pico Slim to reduce the impedance but no real difference. The AK240 gives a fuller, more dynamic and powerful sound (I've noticed this on all my earphones) which I find very satisfying. The 3003i may turn out to be a keeper for me. 

post #1594 of 1931
been listening to full-sized cans so haven't spent any time with the k3003's for a while. got them in now and gotta say that these are the most balanced, uncolored cans i own.
post #1595 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

been listening to full-sized cans so haven't spent any time with the k3003's for a while. got them in now and gotta say that these are the most balanced, uncolored cans i own.


And very scalable too.  Pair the K3003 with a different amp and dac and it changes its sonic output.  I think they're very transparent as well.

post #1596 of 1931

Where can you get the non remote version?, seems rare. With the remote version, do you need to use the 4 to 3 pole adaptor to listen on a laptop, or from a desktop amp. If I use it with a 6.35mm adaptor, will this conversion plug need to be put between?

 

In a picture on this thread, a listener seems to be using the i version, without this adaptor. thank you.

post #1597 of 1931

I have not needed the adaptor on any of my amps.  

 

I haven't tried with a 6.35mm plug...but I have used a 3.5mm extension without needing the adaptor.

post #1598 of 1931

Probably in minority, but on an Apple laptop the remote comes handy as well.

post #1599 of 1931

Will I be making a mistake getting the i ver? It looks to be the only one i can get hold of.

 

I plan to use this here: https://www.broadcastav.co.uk/products/adapters/sony-pc-234s-18-to-14-unimatch-plug-adapter.aspx

 

Edit: will the straight jack get in the way of an iphone case? is it thick?


Edited by azureaura - 3/2/14 at 10:12am
post #1600 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by azureaura View Post
 

Will I be making a mistake getting the i ver? It looks to be the only one i can get hold of.

 

I plan to use this here: https://www.broadcastav.co.uk/products/adapters/sony-pc-234s-18-to-14-unimatch-plug-adapter.aspx

 

Edit: will the straight jack get in the way of an iphone case? is it thick?

I would have preferred to not have the iPhone controls (even though I use an iPhone), but like you say, it is hard to find the version without.

The jack is not particularly thick.  I would think it would work in a lot of cases.

post #1601 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by azureaura View Post
 

Where can you get the non remote version?, seems rare. With the remote version, do you need to use the 4 to 3 pole adaptor to listen on a laptop, or from a desktop amp. If I use it with a 6.35mm adaptor, will this conversion plug need to be put between?

 

In a picture on this thread, a listener seems to be using the i version, without this adaptor. thank you.

 

In Australia the non-i version is available from Addicted to Audio for AUD 1200.

 

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/akg-k3003-ear-canal-headphones

 

Despite the pic these are the non-remote version (as this is the model I bought from them...).

 

regards,

 

Giles

post #1602 of 1931

I don't know what to feel at this stage, I got a bargain NEW k3003i from ebay for -£380 off the RRP of £1000. It is still in the plastic wrap with the box. I asked the seller, she has friends who work for Harmon Kardon, and bought it from the staff shop. They are Austrian, not made in china. Though they are new, I might have basically forfeited the 2yr guarantee, unless the card is inside.

post #1603 of 1931

I'm running the pair in now, using ref filters. Where has the bass gone????????????? I'm listening straight out of a laptop atm. Unless the 4-3 pole adaptor is cutting out the low end. Though it's running from both channels. I'm used to listening to an MDR-7520. Where is the bass? lol. Perhaps I will try the low filter later on.

 

I heard it's a 50 hr burn in. This is drum and bass, where is the low end :)


Edited by azureaura - 3/5/14 at 12:58pm
post #1604 of 1931

I'm cranking the volume a bit, these now are gaining a nice taut low end. Granted the bass is not like a TH-900 or a sony MDR-7520. I hope these scale well with source, as the timbre is superb. Unfortunately there is a low treble spike, which other listeners have noted which I hope reduces with burn in.

 

They must be very source dependant, as straight out of the iphone 5, they sound shrill. Definitely a need for a dac like the microstreamer. Who wrote they sound best straight out of a cell phone or CD player?

 

Check out the sibilance on "the sweetest girl" by scritti politti, on gartside's voice.


Edited by azureaura - 3/5/14 at 3:14pm
post #1605 of 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by azureaura View Post
 

I'm cranking the volume a bit, these now are gaining a nice taut low end. Granted the bass is not like a TH-900 or a sony MDR-7520. I hope these scale well with source, as the timbre is superb. Unfortunately there is a low treble spike, which other listeners have noted which I hope reduces with burn in.

 

They must be very source dependant, as straight out of the iphone 5, they sound shrill. Definitely a need for a dac like the microstreamer. Who wrote they sound best straight out of a cell phone or CD player?

 

Check out the sibilance on "the sweetest girl" by scritti politti, on gartside's voice.

 

You must be listening to the "Cupid & Psyche" version - that could cut glass! The "Absolute" remaster cuts the sibilance (still there, though) but makes it less atmospheric. Sounds the same irrespective of what phones I Use K3003, DT1350, DT880, K271 etc still sharp siibilance - great song and artist.

 

regards,

 

Giles

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › AKG K3003 High End 3 Way System Headphone