Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Should pets have a "human" name?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should pets have a "human" name? - Page 4

post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynobot View Post



 

How about at least expecting the same from an animal that would would from a human.  People don't let their kids crap on the floor and pee on the drapes!!!

 

It is very VERY sad that humans have come to the point where they serve an animal as if its a King or Queen.  Indeed being feed the best food in the house, cared for and pampered day and night, bathed, waking up at odd hours day and night to submit to orders of being taken outside or inside all points to the Human being the servant and the Dog as being the Master.

 

I have seen people spend more money on their dogs cloths than their own kids cloths, and yes like your mom the dog crapped and pee'd anywhere it liked without a care.  Only to have a human come after it and pick up its crap then lavish affection on the animal like a mindless slave.  When she gets home from work the first thing she does is walk right past her kids to her dog, cook her dog dinner and bitch at the kids for not cleaning up. In fact, if she does not feel like cooking she makes her oldest son drive to KFC and buy the dog some chicken, bring it home and remove the chicken off the bone then put it in a plate for the dog.  Strange world...
 

Many dog owners might hate me, but I treat my dog like a dog. She comes inside and goes outside when I say so and eats regular dog food, walks by my side [not 10ft in front pulling me] and does exactly what I say, when I say it not when ever she feels like it. Never on the couch, never on the bed, always on the floor, if she barks and I look at her she stops barking, if I walk in the house she sits and waits for my permission to enter, I always walk in first, I put my hand up in the stop position and she sits and does not move or make a sound.

 



I'd have to agree with your sentiments.  I'm all for treating animals fairly, and was actually a vegetarian for quite some time...but I frankly find it ridiculous when people let their dogs get away with things that they'd ground their kids for a week for.  A well-trained dog, I feel, makes a far better and more fulfilling companion than a spoiled brat of a dog.


My dog, though, is pretty spoiled...but we tried our best to train her.  She's just extremely arrogant and dominant by nature, and won't listen to half of the things we say.  I guess we just got unlucky. :P

post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynobot View Post

How about at least expecting the same from an animal that would would from a human.  People don't let their kids crap on the floor and pee on the drapes!!!

 

It is very VERY sad that humans have come to the point where they serve an animal as if its a King or Queen.  Indeed being feed the best food in the house, cared for and pampered day and night, bathed, waking up at odd hours day and night to submit to orders of being taken outside or inside all points to the Human being the servant and the Dog as being the Master.

 

I have seen people spend more money on their dogs cloths than their own kids cloths, and yes like your mom the dog crapped and pee'd anywhere it liked without a care.  Only to have a human come after it and pick up its crap then lavish affection on the animal like a mindless slave.  When she gets home from work the first thing she does is walk right past her kids to her dog, cook her dog dinner and bitch at the kids for not cleaning up. In fact, if she does not feel like cooking she makes her oldest son drive to KFC and buy the dog some chicken, bring it home and remove the chicken off the bone then put it in a plate for the dog.  Strange world...
 

Many dog owners might hate me, but I treat my dog like a dog. She comes inside and goes outside when I say so and eats regular dog food, walks by my side [not 10ft in front pulling me] and does exactly what I say, when I say it not when ever she feels like it. Never on the couch, never on the bed, always on the floor, if she barks and I look at her she stops barking, if I walk in the house she sits and waits for my permission to enter, I always walk in first, I put my hand up in the stop position and she sits and does not move or make a sound.


Sounds like your mom depends on her dog for stress relief, much like mine does. I can't really blame her though; we tend to live on various principles in my family despite having no common sense IMHO.

 

One of those principals is never abandoning family; were going to move into my grandfather's house so he doesn't have to live alone. He's 90something years old and can still walk and think quite fine but apparently thinks there are burglars in his house flushing the toilet at 1:00am tongue.gif

 

He's clever as hell but is kinda OCD and has to get what he wants when he wants it because he's always had it that way so he's driving my mother crazy. If the dog is keeping her together then good for her.

post #48 of 57

 

Quote:

Quote:Originally Posted by Dynobot View Post


 

 

How about at least expecting the same from an animal that would would from a human.  People don't let their kids crap on the floor and pee on the drapes!!!

 

 

 

That's pretty ridiculous to expect an animal to have the same sort of understanding a child might when it gets older.  As far as comparing them to an infant who does not understand, if you didn't put a diaper on them believe me they'd be crapping and pissing everywhere you mention.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that allowing animals to go without house training is pretty sad and entirely unacceptable to me, not to mention anti-social and unsanitary.

 

 

Quote:

It is very VERY sad that humans have come to the point where they serve an animal as if its a King or Queen.  Indeed being feed the best food in the house, cared for and pampered day and night, bathed, waking up at odd hours day and night to submit to orders of being taken outside or inside all points to the Human being the servant and the Dog as being the Master.

 

 

I guess I missed all that in the description I think you are responding to here (where mom hasn't housebroken her dog).  Basically I agree that a dog should be trained to be a functioning family member.  The priority others put on caring for their pet is entirely their own business.  What they deem as an acceptable relationship is also their business, but I agree, it is sad that people do choose to bring a pet into their home and not train it to be an integral part of the family that behaves in socially acceptable ways.  Unfortunately it happens with children as well, though they may not cut a brick in the middle of the living room.

 

 

Quote:
I have seen people spend more money on their dogs cloths than their own kids cloths, and yes like your mom the dog crapped and pee'd anywhere it liked without a care.  Only to have a human come after it and pick up its crap then lavish affection on the animal like a mindless slave.  When she gets home from work the first thing she does is walk right past her kids to her dog, cook her dog dinner and bitch at the kids for not cleaning up. In fact, if she does not feel like cooking she makes her oldest son drive to KFC and buy the dog some chicken, bring it home and remove the chicken off the bone then put it in a plate for the dog.  Strange world...

 

That's sad indeed.  I'd feed my dog whatever I was eating before I'd ever feed him fast food garbage.  I wouldn't eat KFC myself.  What people spend their money on is entirely their business.  There's some folks here (not as many) and on Audiogon (quite a few) who spend as much money on their systems as it cost to put a kid through college.  And that's just stuff that's entirely inanimate.  Again, their business. 


 

Quote:
Many dog owners might hate me, but I treat my dog like a dog. She comes inside and goes outside when I say so and eats regular dog food, walks by my side [not 10ft in front pulling me] and does exactly what I say, when I say it not when ever she feels like it. Never on the couch, never on the bed, always on the floor, if she barks and I look at her she stops barking, if I walk in the house she sits and waits for my permission to enter, I always walk in first, I put my hand up in the stop position and she sits and does not move or make a sound.

 

Sounds like your dog is well trained and that you put some effort into that relationship to be the way you want it.  Just like any relationship with others you choose to make your family and bring into your home, everyone has their own way of relating, and their own priorities.  One of my dogs closes the back door when I tell him to, but I wouldn't expect that'd be what everyone might like their dog to do.  I don't need or ask him to allow me to walk in first, but if I did, he'd do it.  In fact few of my own priorities match your own, but I agree with you that you should train your dog to behave as you'd like them to, not as they'd do if they were unsupervised and untrained.  Aside from the benefits in behavior it is a rewarding thing to do and can make your relationship with your pet so much closer. 

 



 


 

 
post #49 of 57

Interesting opinions you have there jax...

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post
post #50 of 57

dogs are entirely our creation, we make them aggressive monsters, we make them eyes for the blind, we make them the newspaper fetching help or we make them eternal children, sometimes eternal babys.

 

 

post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post

dogs are entirely our creation, we make them aggressive monsters, we make them eyes for the blind, we make them the newspaper fetching help or we make them eternal children, sometimes eternal babys.


So true XD
 

 

post #52 of 57

I like human nicknames for pets. My dogs are Poncho and Lefty, and my cat is Cosmo.

post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverant View Post

IMG_8257 2.jpg



If that dog was mine, I'd name it BuffaloWings.

post #54 of 57

I don´t really care. I just make sure there is some S in them since they seem to respond better with such namesssssh. Cats are not human and they don´t get human by giving humans names so really doesn´t matter.

post #55 of 57

You got that right.

Cats learn their name really fast. Well... not the name, but a certain simple sound in their name.

 

However, I'd say you may call it whatever you like, the cat will still know when it is about him. Mine is named "Laiko"; but he'll respond anyway if I call him "Moron". LOL

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

I don´t really care. I just make sure there is some S in them since they seem to respond better with such namesssssh. Cats are not human and they don´t get human by giving humans names so really doesn´t matter.



 

post #56 of 57
Thread Starter 
Cats notice everything. They choose whether or not to respond, unlike dogs. smily_headphones1.gif
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

Cats notice everything. They choose whether or not to respond, unlike dogs. smily_headphones1.gif


Nah, my dog chooses not to respond most of the time anyway.  I swear she's gained the mind of a cat since we had a cat for the first year or so we had her.  Try as we might, we simply can't train her to be perfectly obedient like most dogs seem to be...she's just too dominant.  Not even an aggressive breed either, she's a standard poodle.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Should pets have a "human" name?