Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's (my first pair of "audiophile" headphones), and now I'm looking to get a portable amp to go with it. I know absolutely nothing about amps right now, as I just recently started getting into high quality audio. I was wondering though, what's the best portable amp around for around $100, and, since I'm only using HD 428's, will an amp even be worth it yet, or should I wait until I get some higher quality headphones? Thanks.
- productElectric Avenues PA2V2tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 5/26/11
- productGeneric prebuilt cMoy amptagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- productIbasso T3tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productIbasso t4tagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandSoundmagictagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Best bassboost amps in 120$ range? Last post on 8/14/11 at 9:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- What's The Best Portable Headphone Amp????? Last post on 8/15/11 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dt990 Pros the way to go for beginning head-fier? Last post on 9/6/11 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT770 80 ohm Amp Recommendations Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:28am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02 Last post on 12/22/11 at 7:02pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First, I would like to thank Shozy for sending me a pre-production model of the Zero in exchange for my honest opinion. My pre-production model arrived in a small package. Inside was the Zero...
Ghostek made its name in the phone accessory market. Its been building solid cases for a while now, and they’ve brought everything they’ve learned from making durable phone cases to the table...
INTRO:- Yup, I am back. This time around I have the Meelectronics M7P. This is an interesting piece of earphone. To be precise I had not seen one like this before. This one belongs to MEE...
Intro:- Yo yo… Back again with Rockjaw Audio Alfa genus V2. Rockjaw is not an unknown brand by any means, famous for their value for money earphones and are one of the few British brands in...
My review of Alfa genus V2 can be found here. http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-alfa-genus-v2-earphones-with-in-line-mic-3x-tuning-filters/reviews/16322 Sorry for the wrong post.
Best Amp for Around $100?post #1 of 75/17/11 at 5:20pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 75/18/11 at 8:17ampost #3 of 75/18/11 at 9:34am
It is better to search for an amp that can boost the bass because all HD 4xx series of Sennheiser completely lacks of bass..
I mean that it is present but not powerful enough..
This is the main reason for you to get an amp..
But if you like the sound as it is then ignore everything i wrote above...post #4 of 75/18/11 at 10:39am
- iBasso T3 or T4 (clean, uncolored sound - tiny case - $120)
- PA2V2 (warm-ish - not terribly portable - $70)
- one of several CMoy-in-Altoids homemade amps (usually warm, esp with bass boost - $50-75)
- SoundMagic A10 (warm-bassy - $70)
- Fiio E11 (release date June-ish 2011) (powerful, with bass boost - $60-ish)
Early reviews of E11 pre-release models put it as very powerful and very good sounding.post #5 of 75/18/11 at 1:01pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I'll check all this out. One more question, do these amps come with a DAC built in, or is that something I have to purchase seperately? Also, do I even really need a DAC? I'm still a little unsure about what those are.post #6 of 75/18/11 at 1:07pmQuote:
What player you use?
Are you planning to connect the amp with your pc?
- Best Amp for Around $100?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 53 seconds ago
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 1 minute ago
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 4 minutes ago
- › Emotiva Big Ego and Little Ego 4 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 4 minutes ago
- › Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign 5 minutes ago
- › Rose Mojito Earbuds 5 minutes ago
- › Football (Soccer) Fans Gather 6 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 7 minutes ago
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by slowpickr
- › Ghostek GHOHP001 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, soDrop Series aptX... by Cinder
- › MEE audio M7P Secure-Fit Sports In-Ear Headphones with Mic, Remote,... by suman134
- › Rock Jaw Alfa Genus V2 Earphones with In-Line Mic & 3x Tuning... by suman134
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by suman134
- › Campfire Audio Lyra by Brooko
- › Brainwavz Hooka by DynamikeB
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by JoeDoe
- › Sennheiser PX 100-II Supra-Aural Mini Headphones - Black by MorrisL
- › oBravo ERIB-2a by Krisman
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...