Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's (my first pair of "audiophile" headphones), and now I'm looking to get a portable amp to go with it. I know absolutely nothing about amps right now, as I just recently started getting into high quality audio. I was wondering though, what's the best portable amp around for around $100, and, since I'm only using HD 428's, will an amp even be worth it yet, or should I wait until I get some higher quality headphones? Thanks.
- productElectric Avenues PA2V2tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 5/26/11
- productGeneric prebuilt cMoy amptagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- productIbasso T3tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productIbasso t4tagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandSoundmagictagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Best bassboost amps in 120$ range? Last post on 8/14/11 at 9:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- What's The Best Portable Headphone Amp????? Last post on 8/15/11 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dt990 Pros the way to go for beginning head-fier? Last post on 9/6/11 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT770 80 ohm Amp Recommendations Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:28am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02 Last post on 12/22/11 at 7:02pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
i had these headphones from last 8 months and i am enjoying it a lot for listening classical, jazz.these headphones offer proper imaging to the vocals of the artist and music it fairly do justice...
These headphones are a great pair for home use, and use for movies, videos and ect. They deliver great sound quality, but I wouldn't consider it hi-Fi though. I listen to mostly Metal and Rock...
I was overall unimpressed with the Focal Spirit One cans. I'm hardly a connoisseur of headphones, but I was let down a bit by the sound and the manufacturer's advertising. I compared these to...
I have the real version 2.0, not 2.1 (with the clip). Build/Design: I didn't like the provided tips, used the small Sennheiser tips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976313070 - much...
I purchased the Audio Technica ESW9a. These have African Paduak shells rather than the cherry of the Japanese release. The ESW9a is made in Japan. Physical: First, these are most...
Best Amp for Around $100?post #1 of 75/17/11 at 5:20pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 75/18/11 at 8:17ampost #3 of 75/18/11 at 9:34am
It is better to search for an amp that can boost the bass because all HD 4xx series of Sennheiser completely lacks of bass..
I mean that it is present but not powerful enough..
This is the main reason for you to get an amp..
But if you like the sound as it is then ignore everything i wrote above...post #4 of 75/18/11 at 10:39am
- iBasso T3 or T4 (clean, uncolored sound - tiny case - $120)
- PA2V2 (warm-ish - not terribly portable - $70)
- one of several CMoy-in-Altoids homemade amps (usually warm, esp with bass boost - $50-75)
- SoundMagic A10 (warm-bassy - $70)
- Fiio E11 (release date June-ish 2011) (powerful, with bass boost - $60-ish)
Early reviews of E11 pre-release models put it as very powerful and very good sounding.post #5 of 75/18/11 at 1:01pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I'll check all this out. One more question, do these amps come with a DAC built in, or is that something I have to purchase seperately? Also, do I even really need a DAC? I'm still a little unsure about what those are.post #6 of 75/18/11 at 1:07pmQuote:
What player you use?
Are you planning to connect the amp with your pc?
- Best Amp for Around $100?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › FiiO X5 preview world tour--first arrivals on page 19, first... 27 seconds ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 1 minute ago
- › Calyx FEMTO DAC 1 minute ago
- › On ear recommendation 100$-200$ range 1 minute ago
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 2 minutes ago
- › HiFiMan HE-300 to V-Moda M-100. Upgrade or sidegrade? 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 3 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M* dacs, New amp section. Latest... 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW - Yulong Audio Sabre DA8 Reference DAC 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser PMX60 Headphones by sagar khichi
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by Cobaltius
- › Focal Spirit One Headphones by guidfail
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by BenF
- › Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphones by bjmr
- › Sony X Headphones MDR-X10 by DigitalGrounder
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by chrismini
- › Stax SR-202 by JustinBieber
- › AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Red by kalpman
- › Sennheiser CX 685 SPORTS In-Ear Canal Headphones - Black by wrathzombie
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude