Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's (my first pair of "audiophile" headphones), and now I'm looking to get a portable amp to go with it. I know absolutely nothing about amps right now, as I just recently started getting into high quality audio. I was wondering though, what's the best portable amp around for around $100, and, since I'm only using HD 428's, will an amp even be worth it yet, or should I wait until I get some higher quality headphones? Thanks.
Related Forum Threads
- Best bassboost amps in 120$ range? Last post on 8/14/11 at 9:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- What's The Best Portable Headphone Amp????? Last post on 8/15/11 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dt990 Pros the way to go for beginning head-fier? Last post on 9/6/11 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT770 80 ohm Amp Recommendations Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:28am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02 Last post on 12/22/11 at 7:02pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Edited on 8/18/12
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Diy Beginners GuideEdited on 11/14/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaEdited on 1/6/13
Owned a variety of DAC's DAP/sources, Cowon J3, Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary, Dacport LX, HRT Music Streamer II+, Sony Walkman Z. The DX100 completely blows them all away with it's reference...
Before you read this, I think you should know that I'm not an audiophile and that English isn't my native language. Let me start this on a positive note. The design of Razer Tiamat...
Performance: Generally really well. Shouldn't lag at all with normal usage. Should be able to handle most modern apps. I managed to get around 8000 on Antutu Benchmark. Currently runs Android...
A few years ago I was a big fan of the Shuttle Barebone SFF PCs for LAN party gaming. I also was a big fan of surround audio for gaming. I had a soundblaster that days. But the graphics cards grew...
Good solid bass, not very impactful, definitely not for bassheads. Has a warmer feel, and is not very laid back. Also less colored than I would expect. Overall good, as I paid around 120 for...
Best Amp for Around $100?post #1 of 75/17/11 at 5:20pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 75/18/11 at 8:17ampost #3 of 75/18/11 at 9:34am
It is better to search for an amp that can boost the bass because all HD 4xx series of Sennheiser completely lacks of bass..
I mean that it is present but not powerful enough..
This is the main reason for you to get an amp..
But if you like the sound as it is then ignore everything i wrote above...post #4 of 75/18/11 at 10:39am
- iBasso T3 or T4 (clean, uncolored sound - tiny case - $120)
- PA2V2 (warm-ish - not terribly portable - $70)
- one of several CMoy-in-Altoids homemade amps (usually warm, esp with bass boost - $50-75)
- SoundMagic A10 (warm-bassy - $70)
- Fiio E11 (release date June-ish 2011) (powerful, with bass boost - $60-ish)
Early reviews of E11 pre-release models put it as very powerful and very good sounding.post #5 of 75/18/11 at 1:01pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I'll check all this out. One more question, do these amps come with a DAC built in, or is that something I have to purchase seperately? Also, do I even really need a DAC? I'm still a little unsure about what those are.post #6 of 75/18/11 at 1:07pmQuote:
What player you use?
Are you planning to connect the amp with your pc?
- Best Amp for Around $100?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Grado Modification Overview
- › New Audeze LCD3 4 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 8 seconds ago
- › Newbie looking for headphone advice 10 seconds ago
- › Desktop amp for ATH-M50s 56 seconds ago
- › Best quality headphones for 40-80$ 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Good Combination?? 3 minutes ago
- › JDS Labs C5 portable amplifier appreciation + discussion thread... 3 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax thread (New) 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX100 Reference DAP by Poetic
- › Razer Tiamat 7.1 by helmutssss
- › Sony Xperia S Black by TheBrutux168
- › Xonar U7 - 7.1 USB-Soundkarte by pietcux
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by Landon Watson
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by tintoy
- › JDS Labs ODAC by Rem0o
- › ASUS Xonar Essence STU by project86
- › Unique Melody Miracle by lin0003
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by mcook1970
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe