Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's (my first pair of "audiophile" headphones), and now I'm looking to get a portable amp to go with it. I know absolutely nothing about amps right now, as I just recently started getting into high quality audio. I was wondering though, what's the best portable amp around for around $100, and, since I'm only using HD 428's, will an amp even be worth it yet, or should I wait until I get some higher quality headphones? Thanks.
- productElectric Avenues PA2V2tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 5/26/11
- productGeneric prebuilt cMoy amptagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- productIbasso T3tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productIbasso t4tagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandSoundmagictagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Best bassboost amps in 120$ range? Last post on 8/14/11 at 9:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- What's The Best Portable Headphone Amp????? Last post on 8/15/11 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dt990 Pros the way to go for beginning head-fier? Last post on 9/6/11 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT770 80 ohm Amp Recommendations Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:28am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02 Last post on 12/22/11 at 7:02pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
When i first got the Cayin iHA-6 and iDAC-6 combo and paired it with my HD800S, i wasn't too thrilled. Compared to my previous HDVD800, there was more detail present from the dac, but it came with...
Best Amp for Around $100?post #1 of 75/17/11 at 5:20pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 75/18/11 at 8:17ampost #3 of 75/18/11 at 9:34am
It is better to search for an amp that can boost the bass because all HD 4xx series of Sennheiser completely lacks of bass..
I mean that it is present but not powerful enough..
This is the main reason for you to get an amp..
But if you like the sound as it is then ignore everything i wrote above...post #4 of 75/18/11 at 10:39am
- iBasso T3 or T4 (clean, uncolored sound - tiny case - $120)
- PA2V2 (warm-ish - not terribly portable - $70)
- one of several CMoy-in-Altoids homemade amps (usually warm, esp with bass boost - $50-75)
- SoundMagic A10 (warm-bassy - $70)
- Fiio E11 (release date June-ish 2011) (powerful, with bass boost - $60-ish)
Early reviews of E11 pre-release models put it as very powerful and very good sounding.post #5 of 75/18/11 at 1:01pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I'll check all this out. One more question, do these amps come with a DAC built in, or is that something I have to purchase seperately? Also, do I even really need a DAC? I'm still a little unsure about what those are.post #6 of 75/18/11 at 1:07pmQuote:
What player you use?
Are you planning to connect the amp with your pc?
- Best Amp for Around $100?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could 1 minute ago
- › Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) 2 minutes ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 2 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 4 minutes ago
- › Oriolus Hybrid IEM 4 minutes ago
- › 1989 VS 2017............M.............E!! 4 minutes ago
- › CHEAP. BIG SOUND STAGE. COMFORTABLE. kind of BIG. CLOSED BACK. 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin iDAC-6 by EvenR
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Brooko
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...