Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's (my first pair of "audiophile" headphones), and now I'm looking to get a portable amp to go with it. I know absolutely nothing about amps right now, as I just recently started getting into high quality audio. I was wondering though, what's the best portable amp around for around $100, and, since I'm only using HD 428's, will an amp even be worth it yet, or should I wait until I get some higher quality headphones? Thanks.
- productElectric Avenues PA2V2tagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandFiiOtagged by System, 5/26/11
- productGeneric prebuilt cMoy amptagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/26/11
- productIbasso T3tagged by System, 5/26/11
- productIbasso t4tagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 5/26/11
- brandSoundmagictagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Best bassboost amps in 120$ range? Last post on 8/14/11 at 9:14am in Portable Headphone Amps
- What's The Best Portable Headphone Amp????? Last post on 8/15/11 at 2:51pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Dt990 Pros the way to go for beginning head-fier? Last post on 9/6/11 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- DT770 80 ohm Amp Recommendations Last post on 8/18/10 at 10:28am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E7 or Cmoy bass boost v2.02 Last post on 12/22/11 at 7:02pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Last edited: 8/18/12
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)Last edited: 9/13/13
160$ - 180$ price range but was lucky enough to buy it from e-bay only 100$ ?!!?
Intro My hifi journey started 2 years ago with a pair of Sennheiser hd598s and an Asus Xonar Essence Stx sound card. A modest entry, but I have spent a lot of money trying to recapture that wow...
Own them for a while now really love them! bought a couple comply foam tips which are more comfortable then the stock ones. the stock ones are decent i liked the triple flang ones but comply foam...
Introducing Brainwavz very uniquely designed dual dynamic IEM Brainwavz R3 (Comply Tips) Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic IEM I've been lucky enough recently to start...
Disclaimers: I'm a consumer, a headphone enthusiast, so I'm not using these for professional use. ... that's it They come in a nice box, really giving them a professional feel. The bag I...
Best Amp for Around $100?post #1 of 75/17/11 at 5:20pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 75/18/11 at 8:17ampost #3 of 75/18/11 at 9:34am
It is better to search for an amp that can boost the bass because all HD 4xx series of Sennheiser completely lacks of bass..
I mean that it is present but not powerful enough..
This is the main reason for you to get an amp..
But if you like the sound as it is then ignore everything i wrote above...post #4 of 75/18/11 at 10:39am
- iBasso T3 or T4 (clean, uncolored sound - tiny case - $120)
- PA2V2 (warm-ish - not terribly portable - $70)
- one of several CMoy-in-Altoids homemade amps (usually warm, esp with bass boost - $50-75)
- SoundMagic A10 (warm-bassy - $70)
- Fiio E11 (release date June-ish 2011) (powerful, with bass boost - $60-ish)
Early reviews of E11 pre-release models put it as very powerful and very good sounding.post #5 of 75/18/11 at 1:01pmThread Starter
Thanks guys, I'll check all this out. One more question, do these amps come with a DAC built in, or is that something I have to purchase seperately? Also, do I even really need a DAC? I'm still a little unsure about what those are.post #6 of 75/18/11 at 1:07pmQuote:
What player you use?
Are you planning to connect the amp with your pc?
- Best Amp for Around $100?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 1 minute ago
- › Any more deals on HD650? 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 1 minute ago
- › what amp can save my PRaTless DT880? 1 minute ago
- › Audio-GD Master 9 2 minutes ago
- › Rooth demos: the evaluation of Rooth lineup – liquid clarity 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K545 Review - K550’s little brother isn’t so little! 3 minutes ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 4 minutes ago
- › FS: JDS Labs O2 Amplifier (w/ Rechargeable Batteries and Adapter) 4 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-MT120BL High Fidelity Over-ear Headphones by ron watson
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by davisman
- › TDK BA200 by ScreenKiller
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by Brooko
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by Trunks159
- › Samson SR950 by Emid
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital