Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Monster Turbine Pro Copper Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Monster Turbine Pro Copper Edition - Page 2

post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

But you sacrifice bass depth, definition, and control with wider bores versus Sony hybrids and stock tips.  You still won't get sparkly treble with wider bores, though the mids and treble will sound a little better.

 

This depends.  I find this to be more a function of the type of silicone used rather than the bore size.  If you use a thinner silicone it will have the effect you say w/ less impact, focus and loss of control.  An example of this would be something like the Meelec M9 'balanced' tip.  The wide bore bi flanges I use have thicker silicone and tend to really balance out the Monster signature w/o sacrificing the bass quality.  It simply doesn't slam as hard and big as say the stock supertips but all the other qualities are intact.  So IME what you describe is more a function of material choice rather than bore size.  I use wide bores on the Xcape and the DDM1/2 simply because they have large nozzles.  They don't suffer in bass response because of it.   

 

On the other extreme, Sony hybrids will help the Coppers achieve the most focused, subsonic bass possible, but you sacrifice mids and treble balance a bit.

The stock tips are a really good mid-way compromise between the two extremes, in my opinion.

 

I agree w/ this part except I find the stock tips do enhance the sub bass as well though YMMV based on tips size and fit, etc.



 

post #17 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Did you try the Coppers w/ any wider mouth tips ClieOS?  I find the Monster tips and hybrid too small to let the treble breath IMO.  I actually found the treble to be more fatiguing for my ears than the DBA's or ER4S but not quite ER4P or CK10 levels.  Try them w/ some of wider bore Meelec tips if you have some and see if you can fiddle w/ the insertion depth.  Most likely you would have to remove the holders.  Made a huge difference to the upper registers and SS IME.


You are right, the MEElec eartips (or any of the old UE style eartips) will give more treble in exchange for some of the mid/bass thickness. However, the cloned Sony Hybrid I used is not the regular shaped Hybrid. I go them from another eBayer and they actually look and feel a lot more closer to Monster stock, which is why I use them on the review so the overall sound won't be too far off from the stock eartips.

 

post #18 of 36

Thanks for the review. I don't quite agreed on your view of the built quality, me and other Coopers owners had experienced split driver housings within a week of using them, although it didn't affect the sound quality, I wouldn't call them well made. However, I think I'd really like those ear hooks, they didn't come with mine, I bought mine just before Christmas. The Cooper drivers are so heavy that I get worried using them outdoor, as they can easily fall off my ears, even if I wrapped them over my ear lobes; so the ear hooks are a necessity I think. I hope they sell them as accessories.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

Ear hooks are another missed detail. The ear hooks themselves are well made, but the strain relief (when the earpiece is clipped onto the ear hook) is positioned at the wrong angle. The ear hook forces the strain relief of the earpiece to point downward, pushing it (and the cable) against the ear lobe. It would have been much more natural to have the strain relief pointing a few degrees forward.

 

Onto the IEM itself – The housing is full metal and very well made (and a tad heavy). The design idea of the whole Turbine series obviously comes from Monster’s own Turbine RCA connector, and it actually looks pretty good on the earpiece as well. The cable is the rubbery, slightly springy type with decent thickness. They look like they should take stress well, and I guess that’s the underlined assumption for anyone buying IEM from a company that makes expensive cable. Microphonics is acceptable, neither great nor bad. The Y-splitter and mini plug looks quite good too, but I won’t mind better strain relief on them. The only build quality issue I detected so far is the infamous driver flex issue that seems to bother the whole Turbine line of IEM. Driver flex is when the diaphragm flexes around due to the pressure caused by insertion and makes a scratchy sound (and in worst case, pressure can cause the speaker to be quieter than usual temporary and you will need to adjust the earpiece for it to return to normal). It usually happens to IEM with a fully sealed acoustic chamber like the Turbine. I would suggest Monster just make a very small vent on the base of the nozzle to fix the issue. As long as the vent is small enough, it shouldn’t reduce performance or affect the sound too much. I haven’t heard that driver flex will damage the transducer itself, but it is quite annoying and I can’t imagine it could be anything good for the IEM in long run.

 

Overall I have a positive impression with the Copper’s build quality. The eartips and ear hooks are more or less minor issues while the driver flex can be a little annoying, but they don’t subtract all the pluses from the IEM. I do however hope Monster can further refine the Copper, especially consider the high MSRP.

 

MTPC16.jpg

 

MTPC18.jpg

Strain relief pushing against ear lobe.

post #19 of 36

Well ClieOS is using the newer batch of the Coppers which don't seem to split nearly as much as the first batch and it will apparently have less strain-relief issues. 

post #20 of 36

Good, I guess they have sorted the split problem at last. regular_smile%20.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Well ClieOS is using the newer batch of the Coppers which don't seem to split nearly as much as the first batch and it will apparently have less strain-relief issues. 



 

post #21 of 36
Thread Starter 

It would appear that Monster is making small changes and constantly improving the design and build quality of their IEM. At least for the Copper I received, I have not faced any of the split problem or strain relief related issue.

post #22 of 36

I think the split housing pertains to a certain batch.

post #23 of 36

I feel like I could stand on my Coppers and they'd be no worse for wear. Nice review. I don't think I'd have the same problem with the earhooks as you do just because my ear lobes are a bit different. I actually applied to review some Golds. Never reviewed headphones before really, but I have reviewed movies so hopefully they consider me.

post #24 of 36

@ClieOS:

I remember a year or two ago you were swearing off on Monster products (because of their business model?).  Now that you've tried MTPC, do you feel they are a serious and reasonably-priced contender in the headphone market?

post #25 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmai View Post

@ClieOS:

I remember a year or two ago you were swearing off on Monster products (because of their business model?).  Now that you've tried MTPC, do you feel they are a serious and reasonably-priced contender in the headphone market?


You are right. Born in a family of small business, I have no problem with their products or pricing but only the way they went after small businesses, and that was the reason why I didn't want to review their IEM at first. But Monster at least has shown a good degree of restraint since last year and I feel much more comfortable (or should I say 'less bias') on reviewing their IEM now. As far as MTPC goes, I think it is a very serious products for its intended market but the MSRP is on the high side. If I were the one that is calling the shot, I would have placed the MSRP around $300 or so which is much more competitive against the competition. But at least the Amazon price is low enough that I don't think the MSRP matters too much now.


Edited by ClieOS - 5/23/11 at 7:04pm
post #26 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Burn in the Coppers a lot more then let us know what you think.  =]  (I didn't keep track of how much they need, though.  It isn't an excessive amount like some headphones.)

I was slightly underwhelmed by them at the beginning versus my Hifimans (RE0/ZERO/252).  Now I find them to be an improvement over the Hifimans in a number of ways.  I also find them more transparent than any of the former three.

I thought at first that it was perhaps a FR difference that somehow made the hifiman's seem a like they are painting a less complete picture, but EQing did not help.  The Coppers are even more analytical.  Burning them in also made them smoother.

 

More transparent and analytical than RE0? That's interesting! ClieOS said the MTPC were warm and lacked high-end sparkle. I'm quite new to this, but isn't that the opposite of transparent and analytical?

 

I've been thinking about getting the MTPC for a while, but I'm not sure if I'll like their sound sig. What I want in an IEM is a very transparent, detailed sound, with RE0-like high-end sparkle, but with a more full-bodied sound than the RE0; on the other hand, I really don't like warm sounding IEMs. I'm kinda confused. Are the MTPC for me?

post #27 of 36

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernito View Post

Quote:

 

More transparent and analytical than RE0? That's interesting! ClieOS said the MTPC were warm and lacked high-end sparkle. I'm quite new to this, but isn't that the opposite of transparent and analytical?

 

I've been thinking about getting the MTPC for a while, but I'm not sure if I'll like their sound sig. What I want in an IEM is a very transparent, detailed sound, with RE0-like high-end sparkle, but with a more full-bodied sound than the RE0; on the other hand, I really don't like warm sounding IEMs. I'm kinda confused. Are the MTPC for me?


RE0 and MTPC are both warm IEMs.  To my ears, at least.  RE0 is more natural-like to an extent, MTPC is overall more refined, just lacks treble sparkle, but that doesn't make it any less analytical or transparent.  Out of my desktop rig, I find MTPC to be less forgiving, but with well-recorded material, more eye-popping.  It is not a massive difference, I love both IEMs anyway.  A prefer a little bit of warmth, so these IEMs are to my taste in that aspect, among others.

The Hifimans also sport that special characteristic of getting the harmonics "right" for awesome timbre, which is rare in headphones/earphones in general.

 

If you want a more balanced sound, try RE252 with UE medium buds like those on TF10.


Edited by Mad Max - 5/28/11 at 12:41pm
post #28 of 36

I take it back! lol. Split housing.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

I feel like I could stand on my Coppers and they'd be no worse for wear.



 

post #29 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

 


RE0 and MTPC are both warm IEMs.  To my ears, at least.  RE0 is more natural-like to an extent, MTPC is overall more refined, just lacks treble sparkle, but that doesn't make it any less analytical or transparent.  Out of my desktop rig, I find MTPC to be less forgiving, but with well-recorded material, more eye-popping.  It is not a massive difference, I love both IEMs anyway.  A prefer a little bit of warmth, so these IEMs are to my taste in that aspect, among others.

The Hifimans also sport that special characteristic of getting the harmonics "right" for awesome timbre, which is rare in headphones/earphones in general.

 

If you want a more balanced sound, try RE252 with UE medium buds like those on TF10.

 

Thanks for your reply!

 

Anyway, I still think I'm missing something. For me the RE0 are bright sounding, and not warm by any means. By "warm sound" I understand a mid-centric sound, and RE0s are not mid-centric, am not I right?

post #30 of 36

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernito View Post

Quote:

 

Thanks for your reply!

 

Anyway, I still think I'm missing something. For me the RE0 are bright sounding, and not warm by any means. By "warm sound" I understand a mid-centric sound, and RE0s are not mid-centric, am not I right?


By warm, I mean tipped towards bass to an extent.  RE0's pronounced, sparkly treble does give an impression of being bright, or tipped towards treble.  RE0's mids are tipped towards the bottom to my ears with the overall sound being tipped towards treble a bit.  It has more bass than would be neutral-like, which further contributes to a warm sound.  They do warm up a pinch with loads of burn-in.

Mid-centric is sort of being mid-forward, or the sound drawing your attention more towards the midrange, something like that I think I should put it.  I find RE-ZERO somewhat mid-centric, though I like that whereas some don't.  MTPC's mids are neither forward like ZERO or laid-back like RE0.  Then it has abundant bass and the treble seems "out of the way" because it lacks definition a bit and sparkle, but it is present, extended, and nuanced, so it is not an absence of to me.  This gives the sound a slightly "dark" character compared to the more treble-focused and sparkly RE0.  I would say MTPC is more focused in the midrange and bass, and the copious bass giving it its warmth to a degree, though others have told me they can sound kind of cold depending on the source/amp.  They sport a small hump around 3kHz which might be why, I suppose.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Monster Turbine Pro Copper Edition