Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD25-1 or Ultrasone HFI 580 (*edited May 19 added Sony ZX700 out of curiosity)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD25-1 or Ultrasone HFI 580 (*edited May 19 added Sony ZX700 out of curiosity) - Page 2

post #16 of 49

I prefer the Ultrasone HFI 580 over Grados with rock,  but honestly I don't prefer Grados with anything. I've never heard the HD25ii 1 though

post #17 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

I prefer the Ultrasone HFI 580 over Grados with rock,  but honestly I don't prefer Grados with anything. I've never heard the HD25ii 1 though



Hi sir! Care to expound why you prefer it? Thanks!

 

Edit: I added ZX700 on the title. It's quite new and affordable. I would also like to know how that fares with rock music.

post #18 of 49

On the topic of Grados VS HD25: Grados have their own special sound, rich in high mids and treble, in-your-face, you know what I'm talking about. I prefer the HD25s much more for rock and metal because of the hard-hitting, yet controlled bass (miles better than my SR80i) and more agressive lower midrange, where all the "crunch" of guitars and vocals happens. Cymbals and the like sound about the same on both, but they do stand out more on the HD25 due to its single treble spike, around 9 KHz. They also have a slight midrange dip, but that's ok, since I find the boosted Grado mids tiresome after a while. The Grado soundstage isn't anything special either, so all in all, the HDs win hand down for me.

 

I bought the SR80i after the Sennheisers, just out of curiosity, really. They're good when paired with certain recordings, but the HDs are much more versatile and overall a better headphone. Maybe my impressions will help you somewhat, OP.

post #19 of 49

Yes, but that's a 99 usd Grado compared to HD-25.

 

A SR225, SR325 or better, HF-2 is another story, although that changes nothing on HD-25 being fantastic closed headphones.

post #20 of 49

Eh I don't know, I've modded the Grado for better bass and more clarity (check the SR60 mods megathread). I guess I like the overall sound presentation the Sennheiser have.

post #21 of 49

I can only chime in and recommend the HD25-1's. They are simply great headphones for the price, I would describe their sound as pretty "down to earth". The Ultrasone "sound signature" is a different one. Apart from the HFI15, and despite owning four other (higher priced) Ultrasone products in the past, I haven't experienced any of them as delivering a sound that would keep me happy for a longer period of time.

 

In regards to build quality, the HD25-1 is way above and beyond Ultrasones twice the price. 

 

Cheers

 

 

post #22 of 49

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xallarap View Post





Hi sir! Care to expound why you prefer it? Thanks!

 

Edit: I added ZX700 on the title. It's quite new and affordable. I would also like to know how that fares with rock music.


Well I had the HFI 580 EQed with my Cowon J3/S9. I consider these two pieces of equipment to be an exceptional combo. As for Grados, I don't care for added upper mids and treble to music with loud singing, loud guitar, and loud cymbal crashes.

 

post #23 of 49
Thread Starter 

Yeah Grados really lack bass IMO plus they are very fatiguing but they are also very fun to listen to, aggressive and energetic. The RS-1 is one of the best headphones I've tried. They don't pair well with other genres though. 

 

Given the responses, I am convinced on the quality of the HD25. Even our local audiophile group sing praise about it. But since one member chimed in for the Ultrasone, sir wind016, it would be great if he could explain/expound why. Thanks!

post #24 of 49

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xallarap View Post

Yeah Grados really lack bass IMO plus they are very fatiguing but they are also very fun to listen to, aggressive and energetic. The RS-1 is one of the best headphones I've tried. They don't pair well with other genres though. 

 

Given the responses, I am convinced on the quality of the HD25. Even our local audiophile group sing praise about it. But since one member chimed in for the Ultrasone, sir wind016, it would be great if he could explain/expound why. Thanks!


I think rock really requires some strong bass impact. The HFI 580 has that and it also has an aggressive and energetic sound. I don't think the HFI 580 is anything like the 780 though. I think the 580 is warmer. Sorry, it has been awhile since I owned the HFI 580, but I remember it was my go to headphone for rock even when I had a Grado 125, 325i. I sold it to purchase a Denon D7000, but I craved the HFI 580 while I had the Denon. Anyways, when I had it I always used it with my Cowon but I forget how I set the EQ. Also, I think it is good to note that I found the HFI 580 sound can be fatiguing, but not as much as a Grado IMO. Grados REALLY hurt my ears. Sonically and physically with red chafing all over the pinae.

post #25 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

 


I think rock really requires some strong bass impact. The HFI 580 has that and it also has an aggressive and energetic sound. I don't think the HFI 580 is anything like the 780 though. I think the 580 is warmer. Sorry, it has been awhile since I owned the HFI 580, but I remember it was my go to headphone for rock even when I had a Grado 125, 325i. I sold it to purchase a Denon D7000, but I craved the HFI 580 while I had the Denon. Anyways, when I had it I always used it with my Cowon but I forget how I set the EQ. Also, I think it is good to note that I found the HFI 580 sound can be fatiguing, but not as much as a Grado IMO. Grados REALLY hurt my ears. Sonically and physically with red chafing all over the pinae.


Thanks sir for the reply. I agree on your assertion that rock requires some strong bass impact. I think it gives more life to the recording and IMO balances it. It's interesting that you find the HFI-580 good for rock while others don't agree. Music is really preferential right> Now, I really need to audition the Ultrasones.

 

post #26 of 49



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind016 View Post

 


I think rock really requires some strong bass impact.



Agreed. Although the Grado's have their strenths and can be adventurous and fun for an hour of listening, D7000's are my to go cans for rock.

And although I absolutely love HD-25 and it's great detailed, sharp, fast presentation, I use often use my ES-10 as portables because of the bass and more fun factor.

 

I have to spend some more time with my recently bought RS1i's, but until now I find them too thin sounding. HF-2 are nicer for rock, with more bass impact and less harshness.

 

For some types of metal orientated music, strong bass sometimes can get in the way though.

 


Edited by Proglover - 5/20/11 at 6:30am
post #27 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proglover View Post



 



Agreed. Although the Grado's have their strenths and can be adventurous and fun for an hour of listening, D7000's are my to go cans for rock.

And although I absolutely love HD-25 and it's great detailed, sharp, fast presentation, I use often use my ES-10 as portables because of the bass and more fun factor.

 

I have to spend some more time with my recently bought RS1i's, but until now I find them too thin sounding. HF-2 are nicer for rock, with more bass impact and less harshness.

 

For some types of metal orientated music, strong bass sometimes can get in the way though.

 


I tried the ES10 from one of the local audiophiles here and it was looks totally awesome and sounds totally awesome as well. Too bad the price tag was out of my reach.

 

BTT: I think I'm going to settle with a HD25-1. Maybe in a month or so. I really need it now as I lost my IEM. Oh well. Tough luck.

 

post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by xallarap View Post
BTT: I think I'm going to settle with a HD25-1. Maybe in a month or so. I really need it now as I lost my IEM. Oh well. Tough luck.

 

 

I am sure you won't regret this decision. The HD25 will keep you happy for a long time. 
 

 

post #29 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandaven View Post

 

I am sure you won't regret this decision. The HD25 will keep you happy for a long time. 
 

 

I hope so sir. Will have to save up first. Thanks for all the replies. :)
 

 

post #30 of 49
Thread Starter 

To add sir, will I need an amp for the hd25? If so, can you recommend one? Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD25-1 or Ultrasone HFI 580 (*edited May 19 added Sony ZX700 out of curiosity)