I think headphones sound better than iems. Although I can't compare I top tier headphone to a top tier custom IEM, since I never heard those. From my experience headphones sound better generally.
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 5/18/11
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/18/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 5/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size Last post on 8/3/11 at 5:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shd i sell my ATH-ESW9 for these? Last post on 6/6/11 at 9:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 7/6/15 at 2:25am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Question about IEMs vs headphones Last post on 7/19/12 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Wireless headphones…bluetooth even…last time I tried anything wireless was my cordless phone and before that was probably back in the “70’s” with an "all in one headphone with FM/AM radio", anyway...
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
Headphones or earphones give better sound quality? - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 215/17/11 at 12:17pm
I am on the "they sound different" side of things. I do not at all think headphones are or should be inherently better. However, it is possible that most decent headphones of a given price range will beat most earphones of the same price range due to a couple of reasons: 1) Headphones have been around for longer, 2) The vast majority of music is recorded and mixed for speakers.
In my opinion, sounstage and "realistic" presentation generally goes like this: Speakers>Headphones>IEMs, in a given price range.
Detail goes the opposite: IEMs>Headphones>Speakers.
However! As I mentioned, most music is mixed for Speakers. If we turn to HRTF binaural recordings, high quality ones ones which are few and rare, things shift substantially. Then, imo IEMs>=Headphones>Speakers, in terms of soundstage, and all about equal in presentation because speakers have the advantages of providing full body bass, and Headphones are a bit more palpable in bass than IEMs are due to their size. In good binaural recordings, positioning is much more accurate with headphones and IEMs than with speakers. If recorded with something like the Neumann KU 100 dummy head, then IEMs seem to have even better positioning and realistic soundstage than headphones, because the microphones are in the ears of the dummy head.
So what I'm saying is that I don't think any medium is inherently substantially better than the other, but the way most music is made favors reproduction through speakers, which headphones are closer to so they tend to reproduce better.post #18 of 215/17/11 at 1:42pm
The typical difference revolves around the visceral sense. A big earphone is more naturally capable of creating a visceral presence due to the amount of air being moved. Smaller products can provide the same kind of frequency response, but it won't carry the same presence due to only presenting this to the inner ear. It's similar to comparing headphones to floor standing speakers. The visceral scale from the body interaction is different, regardless of if the frequency response and note presentation is the same.
Now this doesn't mean headphones are specifically better. Frankly, they're simply different products. Once you combine headphones and earphones together, your selection of options simply grow. Better or worse isn't as absolute as you may think. I will agree that it can be easier to create better sound quality in the larger formats. Once you get down to in-ear products, the scale of things is so small, that it takes very tight manufacturing abilities just to create a consistent product and it still takes good engineering to create a good sound on top of that. Larger formats just tend to be a little easier to make and achieve good results. Price point to price point, you will likely get a slightly better product in a larger format, but once you step to pretty pricey stuff (say $150+), a lot of the products are quite good. It stops being a matter of better and becomes a matter of different. Then it's all personal preference.post #19 of 215/17/11 at 8:06pm
very insightful guys! I guess i am just used to the sound of an IEM being so forward and close to the inner ear, which is why i have some reservations of headphones (in the same price range). The only real way to find out is to try and test to draw conclusions.post #20 of 213/20/14 at 9:42pm
i am thinking of buying a new thing, after some browsing came to a hard decision of whether to buy the new sony h3 or beyerdynamic 770pro
so i try to ask google "headphones or earbuds" but it just came out with something like "top quality models like Beats" ..
so here would be the most relevant, but the thread has been quite some time ago. can anyone please update this of the current status for this comparison?
Thanks!post #21 of 213/21/14 at 11:13am
From everything that I own, I find that IEMs sound better than headphones for a given price point, but my source is my laptop jack. It could be that unamped, IEMs sound better.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones or earphones give better sound quality?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1) 58 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 2 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Help Required with my MUSIC SETUP MESS!! 3 minutes ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Rob80b
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...