- 28 Posts. Joined 4/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 5/18/11
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/18/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 5/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size Last post on 8/3/11 at 5:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shd i sell my ATH-ESW9 for these? Last post on 6/6/11 at 9:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 7/6/15 at 2:25am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Question about IEMs vs headphones Last post on 7/19/12 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
So I got the chance to try out the Aune M1S, and to my Surprise it was way more than I had anticipated or expected. My first impressions was an absolute shock! This thing punches way above it...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be taking a look at the Paco, a compact, attractive, and smartly priced earphone in Fischer Audio's Totem series of products. Fischer Audio isn't new to the...
Overview I purchased these when they first came out during Black Friday in 2016, when they were on sale for $100 CAD. Until these I had mostly spent all of my money on IEMs since they're a lot...
INTRODUCTION Pioneer really surprised me with the new release of the DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. I've recently tried out seven headphones that are considered high end and...
The nice thing about being last on the tour is that I have the benefit of completely broken in equipment. The new smell and feel is gone. Gone through many miles and air flights, and USPS trucks...
Headphones or earphones give better sound quality?post #1 of 215/16/11 at 11:38pmThread StarterIm wondering headphones and earphones at the same price rang, which one gives better sound quality? Which one gives deeper bass?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 215/16/11 at 11:47pmpost #3 of 215/16/11 at 11:58pm
x2. It's common sense really. Sacrifices have to be made in order to make the earphone portable, and capable of being powered by a portable source. The general rule of thumb is speakers (least portable) > headphones (somewhat transportable) > earphones (most portable). Not that there isn't any vacillating between the lines, but on the whole it is what one can expect.
It's all give and take. You take what you want and pay for it. Now, what are your needs, and how do you plan on using said headphones? Give us a bit more info, and we can provide some better advice.
Edited by JxK - 5/16/11 at 11:59pmpost #4 of 215/17/11 at 1:37amThread StarterI mean at the same price, same manufacture, headphones or earphones give better sound quality? Why are some people so into earphones rather than headphones. I find that most $200 headphones sound even better than $400 earphones. The fact is that headphones are less portable but they sound a lot betterpost #5 of 215/17/11 at 1:41am
I wouldn't say it's always true, but generally full-sized headphones will sound better than IEMs at a similar price. However, quite often full-sized headphones need to be amped to sound their best and very few IEMs benefit greatly from amping, though many benefit slightly. But there are some IEMs that are competitive with comparable full-sized headphones.post #6 of 215/17/11 at 1:54amQuote:Originally Posted by simbeane
I mean at the same price, same manufacture, headphones or earphones give better sound quality? Why are some people so into earphones rather than headphones. I find that most $200 headphones sound even better than $400 earphones. The fact is that headphones are less portable but they sound a lot better
Yes, what you wrote is usually true. The problem is that fullsize headphones are big and heavy, so you typically have to be stationary to use them. Plus the best ones tend to be open, meaning you get no noise attenuation and leak music into your surroundings. Earphones are popular simply because they can be used on the go. Are they as good as fullsize offerings at the same pricepoint? No, not typically. But again, you can't use your large, heavy, open sennheiser hd650s on a busy street or an airplane. IEMs on the other hand are designed to function at such environments.post #7 of 215/17/11 at 8:26am
so would a $5XX pair of headphone be comparable to custom IEMs?
Im primarily using a UM3X now, and im looking to try to get a pair of headphone as well, would sth like the ATH-ESW9 be a significant improvement, or would i be better off saving for JH-16s :p
i've managed to stay away from head-fi for many months now, but curisoirty has gotten the best of me!!!post #8 of 215/17/11 at 8:46am
From what I understand, the JH16s aren't really even that massive of a jump from the JH5s. What exactly are you looking for, anyway? Are you asking for advice for what headphones to get or what?post #9 of 215/17/11 at 8:50am
For me, high end custom IEM's always seemed to be more intimate and detailed than headphones of a similar price range. While the headphones of the similar price range as high end custom IEM's always had a more open, convincing and natural sound. Choose your poison.post #10 of 215/17/11 at 8:55am
i think im looking for a stepping stone for the next step in terms of quality, or even just trying something new. Since theres not much point getting another universal IEM (for me, althought im curiousty to hear the SM3) so i starting looking at headphones in around the $500 range. I guess what im trying to find out is how much difference is there when comparing a headphone and IEM (universal or custom) that are around the same price.
thanks!post #11 of 215/17/11 at 9:00am
For me, they're different. I don't know if one is better. I'd say over the ear headphones are more natural; in ears are more demanding. But more demanding can also mean more engaging. I find that that in ears are more like looking through a magnifying glass and over ears are more like just seeing. My experience with over ears is limited though.post #12 of 215/17/11 at 9:19am
I personally prefer full size headphones to iems. They sound more natural and cleaner to me. All the iems I have heard sounded congested. Then again my old iems were only $100 and my new headphones are $200. But my full size cans definitely sound much more realistic. Though the portability of iems is unbeatable and i might want a good pair for going out. Possibly the Shure SE215.post #13 of 215/17/11 at 9:33am
I have been thinking about this myself for awhile now and I have concluded that there can't be any single answer to this. Even disregarding portability as a factor, there are so many parameters to think about. Think about RE0s or Xcapes v1 (this is the one I heard personally) for example. Is there any full size sold at 80 dollars brand new which has the clarity and detail of them? I have AD700s and CAL!s at that price range, both well regarded, but cannot match above mentioned IEMs in terms of detail and clarity. But when overall presentation, comfort etc. come into play, there are a lot of people who would prefer these full-sizes.post #14 of 215/17/11 at 9:37am
I don't really know if there's a clear cut answer to this.
I have some good headphones but not the T1/HD800 level and some customs and both are very good so it's not like one is clearly worse than the other.post #15 of 215/17/11 at 10:01am
I'd echo that it's mostly a different presentation. I own both MS-1s and RE-ZEROs. Both are $100 new. Is either one 'better' than the other? Not really.
The ZEROs have the edge on detail and separation, but the MS-1s have the better sound signature and intimacy. Both are utter steals at their retail prices, in my opinion.
As you move up the scales I think that fullsize headphones gain the edge because of the mid-priced killers like the HD6X0 and the K70X, but lower down I think that IEMs, particularly the well-priced Chinese ones, are competitive. It's also worth noting that the IEM market has been around for a lot less time than the full size market has.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones or earphones give better sound quality?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Periodic Audio EIMs Mg, Ti, Be 43 seconds ago
- › Spiral Ears SE5 Ultimate Discussion/ Impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Congratulations! HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 won the 2017 European Product... 4 minutes ago
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 4 minutes ago
- › Announcement: The Edition 6 is Dead 5 minutes ago
- › "Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation &... 5 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret 5 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 5 minutes ago
- › AUNE M1S 32BIT/384KHZ DSD128 3.5MM/2.5MM BALANCED HIFI AUDIOPHILE... by Hypespazm
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by B9Scrambler
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Cs by peaches
- › Pioneer DJ HRM-6 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones by ILIRS CORNER
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by ngoshawk
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by ngoshawk
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by kevingzw
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by crabdog
- › PSB M4U 1 by JoshG1217
- › Cayin i5 by daduy
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear