- 28 Posts. Joined 4/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-ESW9 Sovereign Wood Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryCustom In Ear Monitorstagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryIn Eartagged by System, 5/18/11
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by System, 5/18/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/18/11
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/18/11
- productWestone UM3xtagged by System, 5/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Purely SQ: Fullsized vs IEMs Last post on 4/30/12 at 12:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Strict IEM user here looking for a nice set of full size Last post on 8/3/11 at 5:52am in Headphones (full-size)
- Shd i sell my ATH-ESW9 for these? Last post on 6/6/11 at 9:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- $500 iem vs $500 headphones? Last post on 11/22/13 at 3:49pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Question about IEMs vs headphones Last post on 7/19/12 at 2:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
Headphones or earphones give better sound quality?post #1 of 215/16/11 at 11:38pmThread StarterIm wondering headphones and earphones at the same price rang, which one gives better sound quality? Which one gives deeper bass?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 215/16/11 at 11:47pmpost #3 of 215/16/11 at 11:58pm
x2. It's common sense really. Sacrifices have to be made in order to make the earphone portable, and capable of being powered by a portable source. The general rule of thumb is speakers (least portable) > headphones (somewhat transportable) > earphones (most portable). Not that there isn't any vacillating between the lines, but on the whole it is what one can expect.
It's all give and take. You take what you want and pay for it. Now, what are your needs, and how do you plan on using said headphones? Give us a bit more info, and we can provide some better advice.
Edited by JxK - 5/16/11 at 11:59pmpost #4 of 215/17/11 at 1:37amThread StarterI mean at the same price, same manufacture, headphones or earphones give better sound quality? Why are some people so into earphones rather than headphones. I find that most $200 headphones sound even better than $400 earphones. The fact is that headphones are less portable but they sound a lot betterpost #5 of 215/17/11 at 1:41am
I wouldn't say it's always true, but generally full-sized headphones will sound better than IEMs at a similar price. However, quite often full-sized headphones need to be amped to sound their best and very few IEMs benefit greatly from amping, though many benefit slightly. But there are some IEMs that are competitive with comparable full-sized headphones.post #6 of 215/17/11 at 1:54amQuote:Originally Posted by simbeane
I mean at the same price, same manufacture, headphones or earphones give better sound quality? Why are some people so into earphones rather than headphones. I find that most $200 headphones sound even better than $400 earphones. The fact is that headphones are less portable but they sound a lot better
Yes, what you wrote is usually true. The problem is that fullsize headphones are big and heavy, so you typically have to be stationary to use them. Plus the best ones tend to be open, meaning you get no noise attenuation and leak music into your surroundings. Earphones are popular simply because they can be used on the go. Are they as good as fullsize offerings at the same pricepoint? No, not typically. But again, you can't use your large, heavy, open sennheiser hd650s on a busy street or an airplane. IEMs on the other hand are designed to function at such environments.post #7 of 215/17/11 at 8:26am
so would a $5XX pair of headphone be comparable to custom IEMs?
Im primarily using a UM3X now, and im looking to try to get a pair of headphone as well, would sth like the ATH-ESW9 be a significant improvement, or would i be better off saving for JH-16s :p
i've managed to stay away from head-fi for many months now, but curisoirty has gotten the best of me!!!post #8 of 215/17/11 at 8:46am
From what I understand, the JH16s aren't really even that massive of a jump from the JH5s. What exactly are you looking for, anyway? Are you asking for advice for what headphones to get or what?post #9 of 215/17/11 at 8:50am
For me, high end custom IEM's always seemed to be more intimate and detailed than headphones of a similar price range. While the headphones of the similar price range as high end custom IEM's always had a more open, convincing and natural sound. Choose your poison.post #10 of 215/17/11 at 8:55am
i think im looking for a stepping stone for the next step in terms of quality, or even just trying something new. Since theres not much point getting another universal IEM (for me, althought im curiousty to hear the SM3) so i starting looking at headphones in around the $500 range. I guess what im trying to find out is how much difference is there when comparing a headphone and IEM (universal or custom) that are around the same price.
thanks!post #11 of 215/17/11 at 9:00am
For me, they're different. I don't know if one is better. I'd say over the ear headphones are more natural; in ears are more demanding. But more demanding can also mean more engaging. I find that that in ears are more like looking through a magnifying glass and over ears are more like just seeing. My experience with over ears is limited though.post #12 of 215/17/11 at 9:19am
I personally prefer full size headphones to iems. They sound more natural and cleaner to me. All the iems I have heard sounded congested. Then again my old iems were only $100 and my new headphones are $200. But my full size cans definitely sound much more realistic. Though the portability of iems is unbeatable and i might want a good pair for going out. Possibly the Shure SE215.post #13 of 215/17/11 at 9:33am
I have been thinking about this myself for awhile now and I have concluded that there can't be any single answer to this. Even disregarding portability as a factor, there are so many parameters to think about. Think about RE0s or Xcapes v1 (this is the one I heard personally) for example. Is there any full size sold at 80 dollars brand new which has the clarity and detail of them? I have AD700s and CAL!s at that price range, both well regarded, but cannot match above mentioned IEMs in terms of detail and clarity. But when overall presentation, comfort etc. come into play, there are a lot of people who would prefer these full-sizes.post #14 of 215/17/11 at 9:37am
I don't really know if there's a clear cut answer to this.
I have some good headphones but not the T1/HD800 level and some customs and both are very good so it's not like one is clearly worse than the other.post #15 of 215/17/11 at 10:01am
I'd echo that it's mostly a different presentation. I own both MS-1s and RE-ZEROs. Both are $100 new. Is either one 'better' than the other? Not really.
The ZEROs have the edge on detail and separation, but the MS-1s have the better sound signature and intimacy. Both are utter steals at their retail prices, in my opinion.
As you move up the scales I think that fullsize headphones gain the edge because of the mid-priced killers like the HD6X0 and the K70X, but lower down I think that IEMs, particularly the well-priced Chinese ones, are competitive. It's also worth noting that the IEM market has been around for a lot less time than the full size market has.Return HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Headphones or earphones give better sound quality?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 15 seconds ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 2 minutes ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 2 minutes ago
- › New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › Which DAC/AMP for Hifiman He-400? 3 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 4 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 4 minutes ago
- › = HIFIMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread (pre-orders up!) = 5 minutes ago
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob