which has the better dac? the e7 or the stx?
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/26/11
- productFiiO E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and Dock for E7 USB DACtagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/26/11
- categoryPortable Ampstagged by System, 5/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Please help me pick an AMP ! Last post on 10/5/12 at 12:57am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Fiio E17 does not seem to make a difference to audio experience Last post on 6/30/12 at 8:05pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD 598 for ~$200 Last post on 1/6/12 at 3:50pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Why aren't portable amp makers more open about output impedance? Last post on 1/3/12 at 11:00pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- FiiO E9 + E7 Test it out Last post on 9/28/11 at 3:17am in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
FiiO e7/e9 or Xonar STX - Page 2post #16 of 325/21/11 at 9:46pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 325/21/11 at 11:17pm
Get all 3. The STX makes a lot of sense for so many applications other than music, but is also highly regarded for its DAC.
Other than a brief audition of the Heed Canamp, the Stello HP100 along with a couple of mains-powered DAC/amps I owned for about six months sometime back, I havent heard a lot of desktop amps, but I will say this - the E9 eats the aforementioned alive in terms of the way it scales as you turn the dial. Eats them alive and dresses inappropriately at their remembrance services. I know of nothing else with that sort of horsepower-per-dollar in this hobby - happy to hear otherwise.post #18 of 325/22/11 at 5:53ampost #19 of 325/22/11 at 7:24am
^true. The stx is actually one of the best measuring dac's you can buy, but whether you like it is dependant on whether you are looking for a coloured sound or not and whether or not you want a shiny audiophile product.post #20 of 325/23/11 at 3:41pmThread Starter
Well, I just went ahead and purchased the Xonar again (my original was open box) to test.
I am going to test the line out going to the e9 and if I like it I will sell the e7.
Who here thinks that the FiiO e17 will be better than the Xonar STX?post #21 of 325/23/11 at 11:10pmThread Starter
So I am testing my setup in different configurations: (FLAC(44.1Khz) ---> Foobar (WASAPI) ---> * )
STX line out ----> e9 (gain on/off) ----> Ultrasone PRO900
e7 ----> e9 (gain on/off) ----> Ultrasone PRO900
STX line out ----> Ultrasone PRO900
STX HP out ---> Ultrasone PRO900
Overall the e7 gives me more of an exciting sound allowing the lows and highs really shine. I can tell the the mids are lacking, but I don't really miss it since it is a fun listen. If I end up keeping the e7 its portability wont really be the reason since I don't like the e7 by itself. I guess I can say that I like the e9 (even though I know they serve different purposes) more than I like the e7.
When the sound comes out of the STX it sounds full and more complete. I get the sensation of the music being relaxed and I can hear more of the nuances from the music. When I connect the e9 to the mix (from the STX's line out) I get a little more of both worlds (a mix between the STX alone and the exciting sound of the e7/e9 combo,) which is starting to grow on me. This makes me want to keep the STX/e9 as my setup. I can definitely see what fuels this place and how people can spend tons of money on different gear!
Me being the OCD person that I am, it bothers me to keep the e9 with en empty dock (maybe later down the line the e17 will fill that void but who knows if it will be better than the STX?
I've ran RMAA tests on my STX and power supply or floor noise aren't an issue (other than the known issue with 44.1KHz amplified on low impedance headphones.)
Headphones: Ultrasone PRO900
Speakers: Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
If anyone has any input on the following questions it would be great:
- If I go from the STX (line out) to the e9 what volume should I set the STX? (I know that the e9 has a sweet spot of 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock)
- Would changing the opamps on the STX make it perform closer to the sound that comes out of the e9?
- Should I go with a different DAC/Amp solution for under 309.98? (Price of the STX and e9, which I can still return)
Thanks to all who read and/or give me suggestions.post #22 of 325/24/11 at 1:48amQuote:
It's impossible to tell really. But I wouldn't count on it.
I set everything to maximum and adjust all volume through the amp. I read somewhere that adjusting volume through software adds interference to the sound. Can't be sure its true though.Quote:Should I go with a different DAC/Amp solution for under 309.98? (Price of the STX and e9, which I can still return)
Perhaps, although what I'd personally do is lose the E7 and E9 and buy a better amp for the STX. That's just me.
Edited by theeyealtering - 5/24/11 at 1:59ampost #23 of 325/25/11 at 12:56pmpost #24 of 325/25/11 at 1:49pm
Greetings, slidesear! I own a Xonar Essence STX card and I hear no noise whatsoever. If you're using windows xp, things might be a little tricky in terms of configuration. If it's Vista/7, you must set the sample rate both in the xonar taskbar application and in the windows configuration. Otherwise you'll get resampling. This means that if you're playing a 44.1KHz FLAC file on the right configuration, direct output should be uncolored unless another sound is dumped into the mixer (windows sounds/applications). I recommend you installing this driver for best results and don't forget to read the documentation!post #25 of 325/25/11 at 3:13pmThread Starterpost #26 of 325/25/11 at 7:44pmThread Starter
The noise is indeed still there, and unlike connecting my cans directly to the STX-the volume on the e9 does effect the level of the noise.
Quote:post #27 of 325/26/11 at 2:36am
Thank you, I thought that attacking another amplifier to the Headphone line out would have "attenuated" the noise, even if you still use the ST amp this way; at least we know that this "solution" it's not working.post #28 of 326/16/11 at 10:53pmpost #29 of 326/16/11 at 11:25pmThread Starter
You mean you want the white noise? It takes your headphones to be low impedance...
Quote:post #30 of 326/16/11 at 11:29pmQuote:
how low? I have plugged iems into them without hearing white noise
- FiiO e7/e9 or Xonar STX
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 1 minute ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 1 minute ago
- › MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY 2 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Empire Ears X Effect Audio Giveaway // 2017 EMPIRE SPRING SALE 5 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 5 minutes ago
- › xuelin ihifi780 7 minutes ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 9 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo TT vs Simaudio Moon HAD 430 10 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 10 minutes ago
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear